The 1858 Remington Forum

Home| Register | Login

General Black Powder Discussions > Accoutrements

(1/5) > >>

wildcat455:
March 14, 2018, 09:39:07 PM

I've seen you guys have pretty nice powder flasks. The only one I have is the plain Jane one I got with my Pietta 1858 Remington NMA. I was thinking for the time being using that one with my 1847, and getting something with a nostalgic engraving or embossing that goes with the gun, just fishing for ideas here. Kind of wanted to stay away from sportsman's and Cabela's if possible.

Sooty Barrels:
March 15, 2018, 06:30:53 AM

Dixie Gun Works

Hawg:
March 15, 2018, 06:42:22 AM

Dixie, Track of the Wolf, Possibles Shop etc but don't get a cheap one.

DD4lifeusmc:
March 15, 2018, 07:44:58 AM

I've  got a couple new ones for sale and other accessories.
PM me and we can talk
My prices are usually lower than the Dixie, TOW    and others

Omnivore:
March 15, 2018, 01:03:51 PM

I rarely ever use a flask anymore (preferring a bench-top powder measure in making paper cartridges) but they are a nice accessory.  You should probably have at least one nice repro flask, or one original.

The valve is the weak point with the Italian repro flasks.  Mine all leak some powder when you're tap, tap, tapping the powder out during the loading process.  I suppose the valve assembly could be taken apart and refit, but since I don't use them much I haven't felt the urge to break into it.

The plain, round brass flask with the push-button valve actually works better than the repros of period flasks, but it's not as pretty, nor is it "period correct".  The repro flasks also hold a lot more powder (depending on model), which is nice.

Also, some people disassemble the flask for re-filling.  With the repro flasks it involves removing the little teeny screws that hold the top assembly to the flask body.  Don't.  It's much easier, and less hard on the flask, to use a small funnel that fits tight over the flask spout (the typical reloading bench funnel is perfect for this)-- Just hold the funnel tight against the spout opening, hold the valve open, and pour.  When the flask is full you'll have some powder in the funnel, so have something ready to catch the left-over "powder-in-transition".

Better yet, pour from a powder container that has a valved spout on it.  The valved tops are available for several powder containers.  No funnel is necessary in that case, and there's no chance of spilling powder.  Select a flask spout that fits the powder can spout tightly.  Shove one spout into the other, invert, hold both valves open until powder stops flowing, close the flask spout, keeping the powder can spout open, invert again to dump the powder-in-transition back into the powder can.  Done.  Not one granule spilled, and no fiddling with teeny screws.

[1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Navigation

Message Index

Next page

Go to full version