Author Topic: update for Remington shotguns  (Read 542 times)

Offline bladesmith

update for Remington shotguns
« on: March 14, 2018, 09:32:42 AM »
I've owned and shot Remington SxS's for about 15 years. Use to be able to buy them cheap but the price has risen the last couple of years now that more people are finding out what a great gun they are. A master gunsmith from Grand Rapids Michigan named Brad Bachelder [ phone number - 616-459-3636] is a guy who can answer many questions about parts or has them. I do a little work myself on the old SxS's - chokes or wood, but he has restored around 8 guns for me. Color cast hardening, redo the Damascus barrels - just about every and anything. The wait can be long - a year or two, but worth it.
  The old tens were usually 2 7/8" in the chambers. I use plastic 3 1/2" shells cut down. Get them from Precision reloading or BPI. Get the wads from them also. You need 16ga fiber wads to put in the plastic wads to get correct load height for a good crimp. You can find old Mec reloaders in 10ga if you like a fold crimp, or buy a new one. They also sell roll crimpers. Any mild 12ga load can safely be used in the 10. I like 19grs of Red Dot and 1oz of shot for target shooting. Could bump it to a 1 1/8oz load. BP is ok in plastic shells, but don't use plastic wads. They'll melt in the barrel. To tell if it has Damascus barrels take off the forearm and look to see any pattern. A dab of ferric chloride or fingernail polish remover on the barrel will bring out any pattern.  Taking off the barrels of a Remington SxS can be a little tricky - you have to move them back and forth while holding the release lever over. Same when putting them back on - make sure the extractor lever is back up in the barrels properly. Remington was the first to make barrels without a welded joint the entire length of the barrels - rifle and shotgun. They made them for all over the world. For shotgun, they started with a 9" long, 2" round tube with a 3/4' hole bored through it. They were put in rolling mills and taken to the required length and shape before being bored for the correct gauge. It's also believed, but not proven, they may have for a while made their own Damascus. Most Damascus came from over seas because of cheaper labor cost. It's often discussed whether Damascus is safe to shoot. I have eight Damascus barrel guns and shoot one or the other every week. I put on a SxS shoot every year and of the 80 or so guys that show up at least 60 to 75% of them are shooting Damascus barrel guns. The British still proff them, and always have.
  The Parker web site has 10ga loads for the short 10, and other mild loads for the old guns. Doublegunshop.com and the Remington web site also have lots of useful info. I have Parkers, Lefevers, and 10 Remington SxS's. The Remingtons are by far my favorites. Any questions - fire away. I'll try to help. Paul

Offline bladesmith

Re: update for Remington shotguns
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 11:52:21 AM »
I have a 1882 10ga Remington that has a rifle barrel liner. It fits in the left barrel with a index tab where the rim of the shell is in the chamber and a threaded portion sticks out the end of the barrel with a knurled nut to lock everything in place. On the liner is stamped " 10ga - 40cal 2 1/2". So a friend who's a gunsmith helps me fireform some 30/40 Craigs to fit the chambers. They were the only shells with thin enough rims to fit in the chamber and close the action. I cut them off 1 7/8 so I can use it in lower Michigan deer season. Bought a Lyman 420grain mold and a resizing die and punch for .410 diameter. A fellow wrote in DGJ that 40% of IMR can be substituted for a BP load. So in my Remington Double Shotgun book by Semer shows a liner for 40/60. So 40% of 60 is 24grs of 4198, and another friend gave me a pound of 4198. He also gave me some rifle primers. It don't get no better. I make out of dowel rods a reprime and prime punch. A little loose cotton on the powder to keep it in place and I can push the lubed bullet in the case. Ya, the lube was also given to me. The top rib had two holes at the muzzle end and two near the breech where sights could be attached. Not having any, my gunsmith buddy gave me a couple I mickey moused on to test everything. The friend who gave me the powder and primers had a chronograph so I went over to his place and shot a little. 21.5grs gave the best results at 1250fps. Let my granddaughter, who loves to deer hunt, test it at the range. With her sitting resting her elbows on the table she kept about a 3" group at 100 yards - good enough for deer hunting seeing how most of our shots are in the woods at under 75 yards. I sure would love to find the proper sights for the old gun.