1858 remington forum

Author Topic: Fix for a jacked-up Remmy  (Read 579 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
Fix for a jacked-up Remmy
« on: March 13, 2018, 01:56:03 PM »
You guys might remember a while back I bought a couple Pietta Remmies off Armslist. They were mid-nineties production and very similar, both fairly well-used.
One I immediately dubbed my "tackle box gun" because it was the sort of gun you would toss in the bottom of your tackle box, or throw in your ATV or whatever.
I tried to make myself flip it, but I wasn't having any of that. I kinda decided I liked it for some reason. The biggest issue was horrendous timing that was scribing a nice heavy ring in the cylinder. I tried monkeying with the bolt leg profile but it didn't change much...
Well, here a month ago or so I was ordering some gun parts so I threw in a new Pietta bolt. After fitting the bolt for .001 clearance on the cylinder notches, I put it all back together to try it out.
Absolutely PERFECT. The bolt snaps into battery a nanosecond before the hammer reaches full cock and the notches align. I touched up the "ring around the collar" on the cylinder with Oxpho Blue and there is now zero drag marks. It was really so simple to fix that I'm wondering why I let it go so long. This Remmy now has the best timing and most secure lockup of all my Remmies. If you have one that's draggin'...don't wait. It won't get better.

The tackle box Remmy, pre-fix

"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Racing

Re: Fix for a jacked-up Remmy
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 04:10:47 PM »
I guess the art of fixing dragging bolts,and especially so getting them to work correctly,as you state when going into battery is a sort of black arts to many.

Thus Capt i think it might be an idea to make sort of a pictorial out of it,and i´d be happy to help.

Understanding what does what on the bolt and in turn what the little "dab" on the hammer does,what is the trailing and leading edge and so forth..
I guess that isn´t exactly self evident to most why a pictorial would be a good idea for all members that ain´t all thumbs.
After all,fitting a bolt isn´t rocket science,it´s just that if you´re accustomed to tools and so forth you still might need to have explained the physics of it.

Put another way?
A bolt is a service item and thus needs to be replaced periodically and i BET there´s LOADS of Remmys out there with bolts that "really" needs to be replaced.

As you clearly state,this is not only a matter of lockup/battery,it is a matter of timing too.
Seing how simple it is,after all,to replace a bolt...i for one vote we do a pictorial out of it for the benefit of all forum members over the long run.
DVC - 2018

Offline Yolla Bolly Brad

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 06:01:39 PM »
It's a relatively inexpensive part too.
Brad Potter, hardware junky.

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 08:11:29 PM »
...i for one vote we do a pictorial out of it for the benefit of all forum members over the long run.

That’s a great idea (capital) and would make a killer sticky.
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".   
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)