1858 remington forum

Author Topic: number 10's Pietta vs new Uberti  (Read 2152 times)

Offline TinMan2

• Retired Sgt. Demolition Safety Officer
number 10's Pietta vs new Uberti
« on: February 24, 2018, 09:49:55 AM »
Took my new Uberti NMA out and zeroed it last Wen.  My Pietta's use #10 Remington and #10 CCI fine no issue going on or staying on.  However the CCI #10 absolutely will not go on the Uberti cones.  They stop 1/2 way on and even using a wooden dowel or the guns hammer they cannot be forced(pushed) down onto the cone.  The #10 Remingtons work excellent but are in short supply here at home and locally only CCI #10's are available.  My Uberti is dated 2017 on the bottom of the frame grip.  I didn't have any #11's but I may buy a tin of CCI #11's from Bass Pro(only source for caps within 100 miles) to see if they will go on all the way.  I dropped the hammer from full cock on the #10 CCI's and they went down split & deformed but did not fire.  Second hammer drop fired them but I certainly could not use them reliably for even the range.  I've had caps that were too big and loose before on a revolver but not super tight before.  I do wish the manufacturers would get together and standardize caps like they did primer cups.  Remember the #10 Remingtons work perfect on both the Pietta and Uberti....push on easy and stay on.
I have read the size charts and it appears that the CCI #11's may work.  I'm thinking that Uberti might be using a new modified cone that will take #10 Remingtons and #11 CCI's?  They will not take CCI #10's from any tin, that I guarantee, on my Uberti.  The Pietta's will take either #10's interchangeable, feel no different going on and seating fully.
I could have gone to work today but the voices in my head said "stay home and clean the guns"

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
Re: number 10's Pietta vs new Uberti
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 10:12:36 AM »
I don't have any Remington caps, won't buy them unless I can't get anything else but my Uberti Dragoon takes CCI #11.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 10:17:53 AM »
Hi TinMan, I believe that Uberti specs #11 caps. Yes, the Remington #10 will fit both Pietta and Uberti BP revolvers.

I have experienced cap failures with the new "hotter" Remington #10 caps if left on the cylinder for a couple of months. There isn't any problem with the Remington's if used right after loading.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline TinMan2

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 03:01:43 PM »
Thanks guys, that's what I thought.  I can get 11's over at Bass Pro in Savannah for $6 a tin.  Might roll over there tomorrow.
I could have gone to work today but the voices in my head said "stay home and clean the guns"

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 09:52:26 PM »
RWS 1075s should work for you also.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline drobs

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2018, 07:27:35 AM »
Midsouth seems to have the best price on bulk Remington #10 caps - 5k worth:

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/dept/muzzleloaders/shooting/caps-and-primers
NRA Life Member

Offline TinMan2

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2018, 08:52:13 AM »
Thanks for the info folks!

Offline TinMan2

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2018, 11:13:33 AM »
WRONG!  went over to Savannah and Bass Pro.  They had the #11 CCI, #10 CCI and #10 Remington.  I took both a Pietta and the new Uberti.  Well folks the #11 CCI's just fall off the Pietta and the Uberti!  The bottom of the CCI #11 tin says 40674 revision "C".  I'm at home now and these #11 CCI's are loose to the point of falling off all my revolvers.  The #10 CCI's fit all the Piettas and are WAY too tight on the new Uberti.  I tried the #10 Remingtons and they fit all the Pietta's and the Uberti like they were made for them.   It looks to me like the Uberti and Pietta revolvers are setup for the Remington #10 caps.  But I will tell you that just tipping up any guns with the #11 CCI's result in my hunting all over the floor for the fallen caps.
I will either purchase a boatload of #10 Remington caps or have to change the cones on all the guns to match #11's.  The choice is clear to me financially that buying a bulk supply of 5,000 Remington #10's is the way for me.  I've tried several tins of the Remingtons and they all fit snug and all the way down on all the factory cones.  A box of 6 factory cones is less than $7 and Tresco's that use #11's are almost that much each.  I'm not into stainless anything and have only lost one cone due to damage and that was a stainless one on a Hawken.
Just my followup on the trials and tribulations of the new Uberti gun..............Mike

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2018, 12:42:56 PM »
Some forum members have reported first time misfires on the Remington caps if they are more than a year old. I have never experienced an issue and some of my Remington caps are 5+ years old, but just throwing that out there as 5000 caps may last a good long while.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2018, 01:09:29 PM »
Some forum members have reported first time misfires on the Remington caps if they are more than a year old. I have never experienced an issue and some of my Remington caps are 5+ years old, but just throwing that out there as 5000 caps may last a good long while.

The only misfires I've had was from the priming compound missing. I've had way too many like that.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline TinMan2

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2018, 01:51:48 PM »
I never had a problem with a cap not firing, ever and I've fired thousands.  However I keep my caps in their original tins and not a capper.  I did go out of the country for a couple years and left a rifle loaded and capped for that time.  It fired just fine and was stored in my parents extremely humid basement. 

Offline rdstrain49

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2018, 02:32:21 PM »
For what it's worth:

In my much too long adventure into all things black powder, I have discovered a few things.  One which I shall now share with this assemblage is one of the VERY few modifications I make to my revolvers.  All of my revolvers get factory nipples replaced with Treso Ampco nipples.  Now they all use the same cap, no muss, no fuss.
"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without your accordion."
Norman Schwartzkopf

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2018, 05:26:00 PM »
The only misfires I've had was from the priming compound missing. I've had way too many like that.

Missing primer compound is something to look for in the Remington caps.  I'll dump a load of them into the snail capper and then carefully inspect them for missing compound.  NOTE; they can be missing the green disk and still work fine.  However, the compound is close to the same color as the copper, so you may have to look very closely.  Eventually you develop an eye for it.

I've had caps fail though, for two other reasons;
One is when the nipples get a lot of fouling on them, after a lot of shooting, and then the cap may not always seat all the way down.  "Click"...reset..."Bang".  Since I don't "seat" the caps (either with a dowel or by shoving the hammer onto them gently) that issue of fouling preventing full installation can crop up, though it is rare.

The other cap failure I noticed was when the nipple still had a wee bit of Ballistol or other oil in it, AND the cap had been sitting on that nipple for some days.  Primer compound in the cap then becomes a goo, rather than the hard substance it should be, and it doesn't fire.  Replace cap..."Bang".

Also; modern cartridge primer can and do fail.  Though it is extremely rare, I've fired many thousand of rounds in product testing, and as such I've seen a number of primers fail to ignite - they can have a nice, deep dent in them, even being crushed, and still fail.  Near zero degree (F) temperatures will see more of such failures too, it has seemed to me, though retardation of the firing pin can be an issue there also, being that any oil in the firing pin channel can become very viscous in those conditions, resulting in a light strike.  That being said, I've seen a primer crushed nice and hard and still fail to ignite.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2018, 10:06:38 PM »
try your #11's    on a rifle nipple  that takes #11  caps
The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps.
General Alexander A. Vandergrift, USMC
to the Senate Naval Affairs Committee, 5 May 1946
------------
Marines Birthday  11/10/1775
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Offline drobs

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2018, 10:55:35 PM »
So far I've been happy with Pietta nipples and Remington #10 caps. It might be fun to try some Slix-Shot nipples (also set up for Remington #10) but they are spendy at $36 a set.
NRA Life Member