Author Topic: If you could start over again with BP revolvers what would you do differently?  (Read 862 times)

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
Id'a hocked the farm and bought any number of Piettas for $149.99 each.

You could buy them out of the DGW catalog for about 60 IIRC. I paid right at 60 for my first Remington, a pound of powder, a tin of caps and a bullet mold.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline Bishop Creek

You could buy them out of the DGW catalog for about 60 IIRC. I paid right at 60 for my first Remington, a pound of powder, a tin of caps and a bullet mold.

I bought my first cap and ball revolver, a brass Navy for $60 brand new, in 1969.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!

I bought my first cap and ball revolver, a brass Navy for $60 brand new, in 1969.

Mine was a steel Remington but an off brand. I bought a lot of stuff together but it was right around 50 in 69.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline bladesmith

The only thing different would be to keep my NMA Lyman and Witloe. My hands are big so those Pietta grips are just fine. I know there's a lot of Colt lovers but their cap and ball guns look like they're just a bunch of mismatched parts stuck together waiting to come apart.  {_K I mean come on, there isn't even a top strap.  M__  And we got this little wedge that holds the front part of the gun to the rest of it ?  M__  Not trying to offend anyone  ::) JMHO  M__

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
Hi blade, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. All my BP Colts are 11s out of 10 in my eyes, the Remington 1858 comes in somewhere about #6.

Many new BP revolver users start with the 1858, but then with experience evolve to the holy grail of BP revolvers, the Colts.  :9) :9) :9)

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline sltm1

Wouldn't change a thing, each step and mis-step has taught me along the way!!
Life's tough...it's tougher when yer stupid !!

Offline drobs

Had I started again I would've skipped Remington altogether and gone straight to Colt.

NRA Life Member

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
well my original purchase was from a company that no longer exists.  Montgomery Wards
so I can't change anything there
and my two original purchases were perfect for me
 MW were selling guns  from Navy Arms which were made by Uberti at the time
I got a flask, measure and capper and possible bag and patch grease for over ball at same time.
I have everything but the guns,I sold them to members here.  I got sick and we weren't sure what was going to happen.  I got better, so I replaced a lot of the guns
I bought a second gun a couple months after the first.  Then I bought  from MW again a 50 cal CVA mountain rifle as a kit.  Still have that.
The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps.
General Alexander A. Vandergrift, USMC
to the Senate Naval Affairs Committee, 5 May 1946
------------
Marines Birthday  11/10/1775
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Offline bladesmith

All I can say is no bodyee shot a Colt in the NMLRA compitition - everyone shot a NMA until Ruger made their BP revolver. The Remington was still used for the traditional event. Holy Grail ? - I started with it , a NMA.  :-*