Author Topic: Swaged HB bullets from round balls  (Read 781 times)

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Swaged HB bullets from round balls
« on: February 13, 2018, 12:38:00 PM »
Some time ago on another forum (I think CastBoolits) a guy was offering to swage HB round balls if you sent him the RBs. I took him up on the offer and sent a bunch to him. When they arrived here I punched out some lube discs to go with them. Since I wasn't reloading anything soon, I set them aside and forgot about them. This is what they look like:

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Re: Swaged HB bullets from round balls
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 01:20:29 PM »
I believe I saw that also, on CastBoolits, in their swaging forum section.  As I recall he's starting with a 50 cal round ball so that would make them approximately 180 grains.  It's a neat idea, not altogether unlike the Buffalo Bullets BallEtt.

So, two questions.  They don't appear to be tapered or heeled, so how do they load in a percussion revolver?  By the looks of it, you'd want to "heel" them in a Lyman type sizer.  And what is their major diameter?

Also; turn them around and you have a "flying ash can" type hollowpoint.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 02:43:59 PM »
In general, swaging bullets for these guns, starting with commercial round ball, is a solid idea.  The round balls will have a consistent weight, and soft lead would swage as easily as can be.  The process pretty well eliminates the use of lube grooves (although it would not be impossible, it would require some extra engineering and precision machining of a die with movable parts) there are still some good designs that could be used.  The only other drawback is you're buying each bullet and then making it yourself, so your cost of lead will be pretty high compared to buying foundry lead or obtaining scrap.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 04:56:33 AM »
Those look neat.  (T^
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 02:45:05 PM »
I got these primarily for plinking with my conversion revolvers and rifles. Yeah, they would be tough to load in a C&B cylinder.