Author Topic: Cap issue?  (Read 1039 times)

Offline Racing

Cap issue?
« on: February 08, 2018, 03:10:31 PM »
Guys.
All to aware of the importance of cap vs nipple fit i wanna shoot something out with you.

That last revival i did,"No3", has a tendency to literally make the caps explode. I mean disintegrate them to the point where they turn into debris,and this debris actually HAS locked the gun up. Or..come to make the cylinder turn only with great effort at least.
Amount of blackpowder ignited seems of lesser consequence. From 18grains to 40 grains,same same..

Yes. I still use the stock nipples in there and yes..they are in only half decent shape. To make matters even worse the caps i´ve got,and use,is the RWS 1075´s.
Yes. I pinch them every so slightly to make them stay due to wear (read-rust)

In short i´m fully aware of the shortcomings here (awaiting deliver of nipples from the US). When i took the gun apart the flash holes of the nipples were locked up,and having seen stock nipples i actually doubt these being stock as the flash hole was way smaller than on a stocker.
They are however NOT as small in diameter as the newest crop of nipples. A fair guestemate would be 0,76mm.

Now.
Can this exploding of caps be from ANYTHING else then worn nipples? (or poorly fitting for that matter)

No3 and the Freeman presents the same issue and both use,thus far,stock nipples.

I use aftermarket,i believe they´re Pedersoli ones,in the chromed gun of mine that are basically brand new and have NO issues what so ever.

Thoughts?

DVC - 2018

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
Re: Cap issue?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 03:20:41 PM »
RWS 1075 are a #11 cap. I don't remember what size caps originals use but you might try a # 10 cap. They should at least fit better if you're having to pinch the RWS. 1055 is the RWS #10 cap.  I've never used any RWS caps other than musket caps but the winged musket caps I use do blow apart. I have some older ones that are not winged and they tend to weld themselves to the nipple and have to be pried off.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 03:30:05 PM »
I'd say it's all about peak pressure.  What else can it be?  So it could be that you want a smaller flash hole.  It could also be that the chamber to barrel diameter relationship creates more than the pressure most of us are accustomed to.  Using a small set of drills as gauges, AFTER CLEANING the nipples, will tell you the flash hole size.  The lack of a forcing cone could also be a factor in peak pressure, especially if the chambers don't align perfectly with the bore.

I don't have an original, but I use Tresso nipples on all my replica guns. The Tressos have a much smaller flash hole than any of the Italian replas have from the factory, and the difference in "blowback" is considerable.

I use Remington #10 and the RWS 1075+ interchangeably.  Both fit extremely well on the Tresso nipples without pinching-- They don't fall off and they don't need to be seated with extra pressure.  If there is any difference, the 1075 fits very slightly loose compared to the Rem #10, but the difference is so slight that it could be due to batch variances me than anything else.  Regardless; I don't see as the actual cap fit would have anything to do with your problem.

The hardness of the cap metal could be a factor.  A dead soft copper (as in annealed) will stretch and bend more than a work-hardened copper which will tend more to split and break.  Trying a different brand of cap might yield a different result therefore, in that department.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline Racing

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 05:44:38 PM »
Thx guys.

Well,something is not right at least. I´ll tell you that much.
One of the issues here is that we´re kind of starved when it comes to stuff like both powder and caps,but especially so caps.
Powder we get the German stuff and Hogdons different versions,like tripple 7 and what not. Caps tho..RWS and that´s about it.

Omni. You might very well be on the right track,but in such a case better fit between cap and nipple should at least alleviate the issue.
A better fit should hinder pressure from reaching the caps outer circumference as easy at least no? Again,i use the exact same caps with my chromed gun that sports new aftermarket (Pedersoli?) nipples and see basically nothing of this.
Then again..just recollecting from memory here.

I need to get it sorted out though as i´m to use some of these guns for CAS. Can´t very well have guns that break down on me mid air. That´s a no-can-do.

Guess it´s as easy as just moving the nipples of the chromed gun over to the other two that does this and see if the issue goes away,or at least diminishes.
DVC - 2018

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 06:53:23 PM »
Guess it´s as easy as just moving the nipples of the chromed gun over to the other two that does this and see if the issue goes away,or at least diminishes.

That would do it.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2018, 07:27:28 PM »
if they are the same nipple   thread size and height
The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps.
General Alexander A. Vandergrift, USMC
to the Senate Naval Affairs Committee, 5 May 1946
------------
Marines Birthday  11/10/1775
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2018, 05:15:15 AM »
Hi Racing, you mentioned worn out (original) nipples. I had an issue with an original single shot pistol.
Took the nipple out. Mounted it in the lathe, slow motion. With an acetylene torch added some silver solder on the outside of the cone and then gently formed a fatter cone. If you don't go higher than 640*C you won't (hardly) loose any hardness (temp is shown by the flux you put on). This nipple still works just fine now after three years.

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2018, 10:26:25 AM »
I have a similar issue with the only Starr I took to the range....it spit cap fragments back into my face. Good reason to always wear shooting glasses! I haven't checked it out thoroughly, but I am thinking eroded cone holes, as the cones are original.

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2018, 10:45:22 AM »
Yes Mazo, always wear protective glasses! It isn't period, but if we're going to enjoy this stuff, what the H. And try fattening the nipples up.

Offline BlackpowderJim

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2018, 10:28:44 PM »
Yes Mazo, always wear protective glasses! It isn't period, but if we're going to enjoy this stuff, what the H. And try fattening the nipples up.

Just a note: the Victorians referred to the nipples as "cones", much like chicken breast was called "white meat". Very straight laced and proper those Victorians were...never wanting to offend the more gentile women folk.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2018, 09:04:09 AM »
Just a note: the Victorians referred to the nipples as "cones", much like chicken breast was called "white meat". Very straight laced and proper those Victorians were...never wanting to offend the more gentile women folk.

Tis true but nipples makes them more sexier.  )L$

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2018, 11:44:13 AM »

I don't know what you're talking about. Could you be more specific ???

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2018, 11:59:32 AM »

I don't know what you're talking about. Could you be more specific ???

If I have to explain it you wouldn't understand.  ::)

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2018, 02:40:08 PM »
Those knobs are spark plugs.
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".   
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2018, 03:17:59 PM »
Those knobs are spark plugs.
Yes, they set a gal on fire