1858 remington forum

Author Topic: Grits for filler above powder?  (Read 3625 times)

Offline mike116

• Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.com
Re: Grits for filler above powder?
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2018, 09:13:42 PM »
I use a lube "cookie",   a card wad, lube pill and then another card wad.   The top card wad keeps the lube pill from sticking to the bottom of the bullet or ball.  Probably not necessary with a round ball but I do it anyway.

Offline drobs

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2018, 04:53:32 AM »
I tried rice one time. It didn't too good. Grains were too long to fit in the chamber sideways.
Was actually trying to do a shotshell to kill a Carpenter's Bee. Need to go back to the drawing board on that one. 
NRA Life Member

Offline TinMan2

• Retired Sgt. Demolition Safety Officer
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2018, 07:28:31 AM »
Yep, I'm going to try the grits since i have 5 pounds of the stuff open.  I'll get back with my results for anyone that has any curiosity......Mike
I could have gone to work today but the voices in my head said "stay home and clean the guns"

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2018, 08:40:42 AM »
I've heard of folks punching out wads from cardboard egg cartons and stacking to the desired effect. I normally fill the chamber full unless shooting target or a brasser.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2018, 09:43:44 AM »
What do you use for a card that doesn't burn?...or melt
If all you want to do is keep the powder from being contaminated, it doesn't matter if the wad does burn. I would stay away from plastic as it might/maybe/could/would make a hard-to-remove fouling. IMHO.

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2018, 09:47:34 AM »
Thinking more about the plastic wad thingy....some BPCR shooters do use a poly wad over the powder/ under the bullet with no bad effects.

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2018, 11:46:22 AM »
Yep.  A poly wad'll do ya all the day.

Shotgun wads, and sabots, are plastic too, remember.

Wads don't burn.  You can pick up your felt wads and use them over if you can find them.  The cotton patches on the round ball I use in the fifty caliber rifle, loaded with 110 grains of 2F black don't burn either.  Two weeks ago I was shooting through two gallon water jugs, and some of the lube cookies (still fully intact but with most of the lube squeezed out) were found right next to the bullets.

MUCH easier is to stick in a card than to measure out some grits or other granular filler.  You can get something like five thousand card wads from Circle Fly for a few dollars and have a very long term supply, or get a punch and make them out of whatever.  Cereal boxes, twelve-pack canned beverage boxes, etc., etc., etc..  No treatment.   Don't over-think it.

Food is for eating.

Better yet is to have your pet load all done up in paper cartridges before you hit the fields.  That eliminates all the loading steps but the last two; bullet seating and capping.

As for leaving your gun in the sun on a hot day.  I hope you're not in the habit of setting your gun down on a hot rock in sunlight and then walking away for an hour or two, leaving your gun unattended.  If you need to unstrap your gun to take a swim or suchlike, leave it in the shade.

Seating a bullet all the way out to the cylinder face will result in gas cutting of the bullet noses in adjacent chambers.  Ask me how I know, or search on it here because I've already posted pictures.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline TinMan2

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2018, 04:25:44 PM »
Thanks to all.  Appreciate all the angles and suggestions.  Thanks again...........Mike
I could have gone to work today but the voices in my head said "stay home and clean the guns"

Offline Dellbert

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2018, 10:29:16 PM »
Try it without the fillers for a while. You'll be glad later on. Then you can spend the saved money on other things. The lube your using sounds pretty good since it don't melt. I put just a bit over the top to keep the fouling soft. You haft to find out what works for you.
If it's not broke don't try fixin it.

Offline TinMan2

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2018, 05:36:25 AM »
Off to the range in a few minutes.  As I said earlier, Lube just doesn't do it on top the bullets, for me

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2018, 09:19:24 AM »
Again the paraffin  is not a needed ingredient
tallow (lard) and beeswax is all that is needed to make a quality lube
Make it as thick or soft as you want

Traditionally paraffin was not discovered until the mid to late  1830   But the discovery was made in Europe  by Baron Reichenbach   and Christison  but for the first 20 years remained a chemical curiosity only 
So it's very unlikely to have been used by the mountain men or the earlier (1600 -1700) fur traders  or  the mountainman  of 1840' to roughly  1860  before the fur trade  fell off.
While some of them became buffalo hunters some used a muzzleloader they had many used the sharps and such with cartridges  later in the buffalo hunt  years, they found they needed the greater range and accuracy and quick reloads of the Sharps and such  as the buffalo were pretty much out side the range of most muzzleloaders
By  the time of the civil war  1860-65   metallic cartridges  were coming into use.  Thus no need for a lube to place over the ball by the end of the war. although the cap and ball did remain in use until the 1900's
But all in all  the common man probably didn't use it in their lube concoctions.
At first it was distilled as an oil, for lamps, and industry use.
The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps.
General Alexander A. Vandergrift, USMC
to the Senate Naval Affairs Committee, 5 May 1946
------------
Marines Birthday  11/10/1775
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2018, 10:39:24 AM »
What do you use for a card that doesn't burn?...or melt

Hi Tin, I preload a number of extra cylinders that I sometimes keep loaded for many months. I use this oil barrier between powder and lubed wad:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/631494/walters-wads-over-powder-wads-bag-of-1000

If you intend on shooting soon, I eliminate the oil barrier with no problem. I never use a filler. I have found that the most accurate powder load to be 30gr by volume in the 1858.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2018, 10:43:50 AM »
What's the difference between grits and corn meal?  I have thought they were the same thing. The European bros call it Polenta.

Grits are made from hominy, cornmeal is made from dried corn. Polenta is boiled cornmeal.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2018, 11:13:44 AM »
There's a decent film for the likes of us here, called "True Grit"

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2018, 11:37:46 AM »
There's a decent film for the likes of us here, called "True Grit"
The remake is best.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.