Author Topic: Speeding up reloading cap 'n ball.  (Read 1505 times)

Offline Sheriff Langston

Speeding up reloading cap 'n ball.
« on: January 22, 2018, 11:16:44 AM »
Sorry I've been away a bit I thought the forum had taken a nap & just found it again today.

I tried paper carts & frankly it was too tedious for me, but I still wanted a bit of a speed improvement.
Here's my “clever” solution for a el-cheapo fix.
The individual components will vary a little depending on bore size & powder charge, but this works for 30 gr of fffG & a .45 (probably .50 as well) bore. To increase the max charge simply cut a longer tube.

The button plugs form the sealed base & are simply glued in & left to harden. Make sure you use a glue that sets “hard” not tacky.
The big-bore drinking straws from the supermarket are used for both the powder tube & as a seal for the top which is made from the dowel pins. The length is worked out for your max charge, by simply dumping that much powder in & measuring the height to which it fills. Now add the seating depth you want for the plug & cut away.
Also cut as many short pieces as you need (maybe one or two, you want a snug fit) for the stopper & cut lengthwise for a “C shaped seal.
Glue the sealers to the dowel pin, offsetting the inside one a tad higher than the outer one. This is the trick for getting the snug reusable fit.

To use simply stand the open tubes in a loading block of some kind, measure & dump the desired charge weight & insert the “cap” with a twisting motion. To reload the fired chamber just pull the plug, pop the cap & with the muzzle UP pour the powder in! Now add a wad (if you want to) & a RB & ram home! That's it!

I dump the caps & empty tubes back in my shooting pouch & sort the rest out later at home. You might want the caps a little shorter than I do but I left them long both because they fit in the pouch this way & I can grab them even in thick winter gloves.

Enjoy!

"In this world there's two kinds of people my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."
“Blondie”

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Re: Speeding up reloading cap 'n ball.
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 12:05:52 PM »
Welcome back home, Sheriff
Interesting solution.

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 01:28:01 PM »
Hi Sheriff, good to see you back in town.  That’s an ingenious solution.  Except for the Slurpee gauge big bore straws all the components are on hand here.  I’ll get some of those tubes and give your great idea a try.

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".   
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline Sheriff Langston

"In this world there's two kinds of people my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."
“Blondie”

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 06:14:10 PM »
Interesting variation on the loading tube!  I use the quick reloading tubes for the 50 caliber rifle, when hunting, where only one or two shots, if any, will be fired in a day.  It's much handier than carrying a powder horn and measure, especially since those tubes also carry the patched ball and the cap, and serve as a short starter.  Dry patches, ram rod tips and such are carried on the rifle inside the patchbox, and thus there's no more need for a possibles bag.  Extra caps reside in a capper on a lanyard around the neck.

For revolvers, wherewith dozens of shots will be fired in a single outing, I use paper carts almost exclusively, but I suppose I've made that case plenty already.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline drobs

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 03:25:02 AM »
I believe many of the N-SSA shooters use a similar system.

Here's an off the shelf system:

http://cwsutler.hypermart.net/ShotLoad.html#QCTube

I need something like this for hunting. Might try the straws.
Wonder if you couldn't fold one end of the straw and melt it with a lighter? That would save needing to buy one of the wood plugs.
NRA Life Member

Offline Sheriff Langston

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 06:14:50 AM »
I think the plastic is a little brittle for that. I'd thought of a dab of glue & squeezing flat as well. The wood just looked a bit nicer.
“Blondie”

Offline bladesmith

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2018, 09:19:11 AM »
All good ideas. I was a electrician in a machine shop and there was always plenty of clear plastic tubes with stoppers in the ends that end mills and drills came in. They could be cut to any length. Must have 50 of them down in my muzzle loading stash.

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2018, 07:10:17 PM »
Proselytizing? Yes; but by far the quickest reload in a percussion revolver (besides a cylinder swap) is the paper or skin cartridge, and there's nothing to bring home.  Insert, ram, cap, shoot.

The "compressed powder" cartridge (a thing, even in the 1860s) is also good.  The modern variation is the Pyrodex pellet cemented to the bullet (I use water glass, a.k.a. sodium silicate), but they don't hold up to handling as well as the paper or skin cased cartridge.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2018, 03:03:19 PM »
Loose powder loads are fine at the range or for stationary shooting sessions but home rolled carts can’t be beat when yer out on a scout.  Rollies and a recon go together like peas and carrots.  They do.   ])M
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".   
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)