Author Topic: powder coated bullet function test  (Read 928 times)

Offline regman

powder coated bullet function test
« on: January 07, 2018, 07:28:59 PM »
i took my '58 rem sheriff's model .44 with taylor's conversion cylinder out to play today.  was just a function test of some cast and powder coated bullets I made up (25).  bullets are lee .452-252 swc but actual cast weight is 262 gr.  I powder coated with HF paint and loaded in starline 45 colt brass with trail boss powder.  I am very impressed!  shot well and no leading.  will load up some more and do an accuracy test next.

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
Re: powder coated bullet function test
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 05:40:30 AM »
Keep us posted on this.  {?|
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline mike116

• Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 05:54:41 AM »
Powder coated bullets are becoming all the rage in the smokeless reloading circles.   I've wondered how they would perform in the lower velocities we shoot through BP revolvers with cowboy loads.   I doubt I'll ever try it but it is interesting anyway.   Looking forward to the accuracy test.

Offline Miguel Loco

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 10:15:31 AM »
I've been using those coated bullets in my smokeless guns for years. They are inexpensive and definitely shoot cleaner. Accuracy is about the same ....at least the way I shoot. They've made cleaning a much easier process and to me the time savings are worth the extra penny a round.

I've never really done any scientific testing with them other than to say that they seem to hit right where my lead bullet loads did with no changes in powder etc.
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando"

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 02:41:30 PM »
I don't know about the pressures generated by Trail Boss in the 45 Colt, so I can't comment on that particular setup.  Smokeless loads in general, with lead bullets, do often lead the bore, so you may be on to something there, assuming you've gone through all the usual anti-leading measures already, such as establishing proper cylinder throat-to-groove diameter, bullet diameter-to-groove diameter fit, bullet lubes, etc.

Regarding our black powder guns; since black powder guns rarely lead (not if you're using proper fouling mitigation practices), powder coating a lead bullet for a black powder revolver would be an exercise in futility.  If your barrel is leading, you need more lube, or the bullet fit is way off.  Leading would generally only come from the build-up of powder residue in the barrel.  If fouling is building up in your barrel, then coating the bullet, although it may eliminate leading, would be to miss the point.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline regman

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 06:21:08 PM »
this is in a '58 sheriff model that is new.  never shot BP in it.  this is more of a test of the powder coated projectile and for the fun of trying something new, casting and coating.  I will see if I can borrow a chrony and get some fps.  I got some trail boss cheap on my last trip to AZ so I want to see how this powder works out for "cowboy load" velocities.

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 07:46:08 PM »
test fire the bullet into something that won't mangle it. such as a barrel of water.
I would like to see how much of the paint / powder coating is left on the bullet after having been fired
The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps.
General Alexander A. Vandergrift, USMC
to the Senate Naval Affairs Committee, 5 May 1946
------------
Marines Birthday  11/10/1775
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Offline Miguel Loco

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 06:35:36 PM »
The bullets I've recovered over the years have only very thin lines of lead showing from the lands. So there is some minor loss of epoxy in the bullets I've used. I'm not sure they all use the same coating process or the same coating, so that could add some differences.
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando"

Offline Hylander

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 08:52:57 PM »
I am really liking the poly bullets.
Running clean and pretty accurate in my 1858

This is 25yds.
Second target is 5 shots in those 4 holes

Offline mike116

• Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 10:15:46 PM »

What powder are you using Hylander?   Are you using any Lube at all?

Offline Hylander

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2018, 12:22:14 AM »

What powder are you using Hylander?   Are you using any Lube at all?

Hi Mike,
That was with Win. 231 and HP-38
No lube at all.
I just loaded up about 60 more to try out in my new to me Henry Big boy Brasser.
These one's will be pushed a bit faster with 231 and also Unique.
I will also be trying some hotter loads with 2400 powder
Will be shooting 200 and 250 grainers

Offline torpedoman

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2018, 07:54:55 PM »
test fire the bullet into something that won't mangle it. such as a barrel of water.
I would like to see how much of the paint / powder coating is left on the bullet after having been fired
i have recovered many from a snow berm that the plow left and i used as a target stand--  no damage to any of the bullets, rifling marks still had all the coating in them that was last spring and i reload them and shot most.
give me a tall ship and a star to steer her by for i intend to go in harms way.