Author Topic: Power tools and the Microwave - my try at Lubed Wads  (Read 1332 times)

Offline drobs

Re: Power tools and the Microwave - my try at Lubed Wads
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2018, 08:31:25 PM »
Racing good to hear.
NRA Life Member

Offline drobs

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2018, 12:55:00 AM »
Follow up, from this last trip home I was shooting my Pietta NMA Sheriff 44 using these lubed wads in 90F weather. I kept finding wads under my 25yd gong which means the wads were stuck to the ball as they traveled down range. That tells me my lube is too sticky. The wads should fall off just past the muzzle.

Putting the gun on paper, my groups were all over the place = another sign that the wads were sticking to the ball and messing with the accuracy of the gun.

Solutions for a later date: add more Crisco to the mixture or shelve the lube for a later date and use Hawg's recommendation of Olive Oil on the wads.
NRA Life Member

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2018, 12:43:18 PM »
Hiya Drobs - you mentioned Crisco.  Did you mean that in the generic sense or do you actually use that nasty stuff?  I’ve used it. The last time was about 1970 or thereabouts. M__  ♪  ♫                     

I've gotten the wad-ball effect, too.  The lubed wad would travel with the ball and actually imbed in scrap lumber targets which naturally throws accuracy all to hell at anything over 40 yards.  A card between the wad and ball prevents that.  I think Omni was the first to mention that remedy.  Works very well.

Olive oil is another of the Lord’s blessings to we C&B shooters, especially for those poor sinners like me and many here who go through  80/100 rounds per session.  A drop in time and on the right places can really prolong smooth revolver functioning.

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".   
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline drobs

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2018, 12:56:43 PM »
G Dog,

They now sell Crisco in butter stick form. No longer need to buy a whole tub of it. Have to admit it was my 1st time ever buying Crisco.
I think my next batch of wads will probably just be dry wool felt with a splash of Sanctified Olive Oil.

NRA Life Member