1858 remington forum

Author Topic: Cleaned with water after the last range trip.  (Read 2902 times)

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Re: Cleaned with water after the last range trip.
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2018, 12:33:41 PM »
I've several cast iron pans  some smooth some rough cast. Have always used soap and water on them.   Stuck on food when there is any, fill it with water and boil it   usually flakes right off
I wipe down with a paper towel with a little cooking oil, heat till hot, shut down, when cool back on the shelf
The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps.
General Alexander A. Vandergrift, USMC
to the Senate Naval Affairs Committee, 5 May 1946
------------
Marines Birthday  11/10/1775
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2018, 06:54:59 PM »
I'll have to try the faucet next time. Problem with my house is no laundry wash tub. My choices are the kitchen sink or 1 of the two bathroom sinks.
Last week used a 5 gal Lowes bucket to clean the barrel of my Lyman Great Plains rifle then used the same bucket with fresh water to clean my Pietta 58 Sheriff and Pietta 1860 Army revolvers. Dropped the cylinders right into the water. Still using patches for the barrel and cue-tips for chambers.
You have solved the problem(?) of no sink/faucet water. When shooting at rendezvous we use pots, pans, buckets, whatever will hold water. I have been using water for over 46 years now, no problems at all. Dry after cleaning and oil. For rifles, I follow up with dry patches a day or 2 after shooting, then oil.

Offline drobs

« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2018, 09:15:50 PM »
I'll have to try the faucet next time. Problem with my house is no laundry wash tub. My choices are the kitchen sink or 1 of the two bathroom sinks.
Last week used a 5 gal Lowes bucket to clean the barrel of my Lyman Great Plains rifle then used the same bucket with fresh water to clean my Pietta 58 Sheriff and Pietta 1860 Army revolvers. Dropped the cylinders right into the water. Still using patches for the barrel and cue-tips for chambers.
You have solved the problem(?) of no sink/faucet water. When shooting at rendezvous we use pots, pans, buckets, whatever will hold water. I have been using water for over 46 years now, no problems at all. Dry after cleaning and oil. For rifles, I follow up with dry patches a day or 2 after shooting, then oil.

I should've mentioned I use cold water from my outside faucet.  Fella on youtube has a video on using the bucket to clean his BP rifle. Takes the extra step to poor a teakettle of boiling hot water down the barrel. I think I'll pass on that, cold water worked just fine. 
NRA Life Member

Offline bladesmith

« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2018, 11:34:20 AM »
The hot water evaporates - cold doesn't. I've always used warm to hot water. I think hot water and soap cleans better than cold water and soap. At least in the shower it does.  ->i

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2018, 12:06:51 PM »
What is a shower?

Offline TinMan2

• Retired Sgt. Demolition Safety Officer
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2018, 12:23:46 PM »
What is a shower?

That's something woman throw at one another.........I heard that, anyway.......... ???
I could have gone to work today but the voices in my head said "stay home and clean the guns"

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2018, 12:25:08 PM »
What is a shower?

Ummm it's kinda like a room inside your bathroom where it rains.  )L$
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline Dresden

« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2018, 10:03:25 AM »
Balistol is a water soluble oil and like most of these products is used in machining as a coolant the main adative is a rust preventative
and this works really well.

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2018, 11:49:35 AM »
Showers are an American thang, like manned moon landings and stuff. 

I use Balistol too; it’s as useful as HOT water.  The Germans used it during WW II to keep their Waffen funktionieren gut.
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".   
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline Dellbert

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2018, 02:29:38 AM »
+1 for Balistol.
If it's not broke don't try fixin it.