1858 remington forum

Author Topic: Cleaned with water after the last range trip.  (Read 2901 times)

Offline walkermeade

Cleaned with water after the last range trip.
« on: January 05, 2018, 05:28:15 AM »
          I was a bit leery of using water to clean my Remington even though its been the tried and true method since the first black powder arm was invented. i was afraid of rust, but i decided to try it and i'll never go back to just using ballistol mixed with water. using hot water is just so much easier! i had been putting off shooting because of the clean up that i was used to doing but now it is not a problem at all! guess the old timers new something after all. looking back on it, it was kind of stupid just to assume that since we are 150 years on that we just know how to do things better than they did when in fact some of the old ways are just as good too.

Now i just wish it would get above freezing so i can shoot more than one cylinder at a time :'(
:-* "Making smoke and slinging lead since 1865"

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
Re: Cleaned with water after the last range trip.
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 06:34:56 AM »
A lot of people are leery of putting guns in water. On another forum a guy asked me if I would stick a high end Sharps in a bucket of water. I said I would if I had one and to prove it I dug out my Weatherby Mark V and took a pic of it in soapy water. )L$
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 12:13:08 PM »
Now i just wish it would get above freezing so i can shoot more than one cylinder at a time :'(
Hi Walker, if you shoot, say 5 cylinders, you can warm your fingers on the gun!

Offline walkermeade

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 05:41:00 PM »
Hi Walker, if you shoot, say 5 cylinders, you can warm your fingers on the gun!

I'm sure that would work! But i'm not too excited of walking up a frozen mountain to my "range"

Offline Bishop Creek

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 05:53:14 PM »
Like Hawg, I've been using hot water to clean my black powder guns for nearly 49 years. So far, no rust.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 06:11:11 PM »
I do take the grips off first.  )L$
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline walkermeade

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 06:15:19 PM »
Like Hawg, I've been using hot water to clean my black powder guns for nearly 49 years. So far, no rust.

That's basically what i did with mine. water down the barrel and cylinder with patches to dry. took all of 10 minutes.

Offline Bishop Creek

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2018, 06:20:14 PM »

I do too Hawg, just did it this way for the photo. I might add that the hot water dries the steel rather quickly, then after running a bore mop down the barrel a few times, I wipe the gun off and spray it with Rem Oil, followed by some black powder lube down the barrel.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2018, 06:23:25 PM »

I do too Hawg, just did it this way for the photo. I might add that the hot water dries the steel rather quickly, then after running a bore mop down the barrel a few times, I wipe the gun off and spray it with Rem Oil, followed by some black powder lube down the barrel.

I use mops too. No more patches for me.

Offline Bishop Creek

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2018, 06:35:45 PM »
I have found that a .22 bore mop works great on the Remington loading lever channel under the barrel.

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2018, 07:49:54 AM »

I used Rem Oil until I was told it contains silicon which do not protect from rust. Now I use Balistol.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2018, 07:53:26 AM »

I used Rem Oil until I was told it contains silicon which do not protect from rust. Now I use Balistol.

Rem Oil will work just fine. I prefer 3n1 for a wipe down but any oil will work. I have use Rem Oil many times.

Offline GrayFox

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2018, 01:19:12 PM »
I do pretty much the same thing, but I usually buzz it with my wife's hair dryer to get it really warm and the inside of the plunger area good and dry, then hit it with either ballistol or Remoil while it's still good and warm.  Let it sit a bit then wipe off the excess with a rag that goes in a possibles bag for field use.  GF

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2018, 11:43:13 PM »
+1 on the Rem Oil. Used it for years after water cleanup.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline drobs

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2018, 03:01:55 PM »
I'll have to try the faucet next time. Problem with my house is no laundry wash tub. My choices are the kitchen sink or 1 of the two bathroom sinks.

Last week used a 5 gal Lowes bucket to clean the barrel of my Lyman Great Plains rifle then used the same bucket with fresh water to clean my Pietta 58 Sheriff and Pietta 1860 Army revolvers. Dropped the cylinders right into the water.

Still using patches for the barrel and cue-tips for chambers.
NRA Life Member