1858 remington forum

Author Topic: Remington loaded September 1,2017 shot yesterday  (Read 1583 times)

Offline Dresden

Remington loaded September 1,2017 shot yesterday
« on: October 13, 2017, 07:53:38 AM »
I fired my house gun yesterday with all 5 cylinders firing perfectly.
Loading was as follows, 30 gram tube on flask, 777 powder, card wad, felt wad, card wad, conical ball, card wad scraped on bullet lube,(50% beeswax 50%coconut oil)on the top. All shots in a two inch group at seven yards. Remington Pietta 5.5 inch

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
Re: Remington loaded September 1,2017 shot yesterday
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 08:17:50 AM »
Dresden, Great job!  (T^

I have that same gun and I used to add all that stuff...Now, I just load up about 25 grains of T777. Put in a .454 lead round ball, cap it and shoot!

Sometimes, I'll smear a little borebutter on a few holes of the cylinder.
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline Dresden

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 08:48:51 PM »
Thanks I kind of add the other stuff to guarantee as good a seal as I can get I leave the cylinder loaded and change out when I go to the range

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 10:02:27 PM »
The many ways to load these guns is another part of the fun. 
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 01:47:12 AM by G Dog »
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".   
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline Dellbert

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2017, 09:43:53 PM »
Sounds good to me Dresden. Long as you use a good tight rd ball or bullet you should be sealed up pretty good.
If it's not broke don't try fixin it.

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017, 01:40:32 PM »
Hi Dresden – Why so many cards?  I counted three plus a felt wad.  I get card No. 1 but don’t understand the purpose of the next two. 

If the felt wad is lubed then a barrier between it and the powder is useful but the next two cards seem superfluous.
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".   
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 03:00:03 PM »
So long as the powder doesn't get contaminated (usually by oil left over from cleaning, prior to loading, or from bullet lube under the bullet) there's no reason a BP charge can't last for years and years, same as smokeless.

A loaded and capped percussion chamber is more air-tight than some modern, smokeless powder metal cartridges I've seen. On the capandball Youtube channel, he loads a Colt Navy, submerges it in water, then fires it.

At 15.432 grains per gram, 30 grams = 462.96 grains.  You must have one hellava revolver, and an awesome flask, if you're using charges like that?

Yeah I know; you meant grains, but since most people around the world use grams, it is a good idea to be clear about the difference.  Modern shotgun charges are expressed as a "dram equilivent" (to black powder), and some of the old flask spouts were calibrated in drams, so it's a good idea to know that too.

7,000 grains (sometimes referred to as "corns" in old texts ["corn" = "grain" in the Bible]) = 1 pound
1 dram = 27.34 grains
16 drams = 1 ounce (as there are sixteen ounces to a pound, so too are there sixteen drams to the ounce)
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2017, 03:49:14 PM »
So long as the powder doesn't get contaminated (usually by oil left over from cleaning, prior to loading, or from bullet lube under the bullet) there's no reason a BP charge can't last for years and years, same as smokeless.

Smokeless will last a very long time but will eventually degrade. Black won't.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline drobs

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 05:20:18 AM »
7,000 grains (sometimes referred to as "corns" in old texts ["corn" = "grain" in the Bible]) = 1 pound
1 dram = 27.34 grains
16 drams = 1 ounce (as there are sixteen ounces to a pound, so too are there sixteen drams to the ounce)

I need to commit that to memory.
NRA Life Member

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2017, 08:30:06 AM »
My knowledge of "drams" comes from Scotland. We had a "wee dram" of malt, but I have no idea of the actual volume.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2017, 09:05:09 AM »
My knowledge of "drams" comes from Scotland. We had a "wee dram" of malt, but I have no idea of the actual volume.

Isn't a wee dram something like three quarts? )L$
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2017, 10:27:11 AM »
I don't know why I do not remember, but you might be right.

Offline necessaryevil

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2017, 10:40:20 AM »

Isn't a wee dram something like three quarts? )L$

To some hard drinking Scotsmen YES.

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2017, 07:58:19 PM »
Oh yes, a wee dram of single malt is very good! I used to pipe in the haggis and was rewarded with a dram of Scotch after it was presented.

Offline necessaryevil

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2017, 07:46:49 AM »
I prefer IRISH Whiskey, Whiskey with an "E" Jamiesons to be exact.