Author Topic: Reaming A .31 Pocket  (Read 1548 times)

Offline rodwha

Re: Reaming A .31 Pocket
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2018, 08:08:29 AM »
I feel that I need a Crockett. Wonder how well that would work on larger critters like coyotes.

I feel it’s a bit too much for a Remington though. Not much powder capacity to begin with so I’d want one no longer than a ball, and that much lube groove space is also unwarranted so I’d have one very small one. But I do like the meplat.
"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Offline Capnball

Re: Reaming A .31 Pocket
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2018, 11:58:56 AM »
I have a little 1863 Pocket, found it recently and after shooting it, I decided a wanted a bigger one, thus the 1858 rem. I feed it OO buck, set it with a brass drift that has a concave surface from my dremmel tool. 15gr 3f hits hard and flattens the ball like a pancake, but this lil brasser groups like 12" at 7' away. It also sometimes freezes and won't cock after a shot unless I fight it to remove the cylinder and work the hammer and trigger a few times and then fight to reinstall the cylinder. Something ain't right. The reaming sounds like a good idea, but not for one like mine that has issues with accuracy and very questionable second shot capability. Try the OO buckshot if you don't have a mold or Hornady roundball in a diameter that fits ringshaving tight. If I get a steel framed version, I will want to do the reaming to increase accuracy and power.