Author Topic: Reaming A .31 Pocket  (Read 1642 times)

Offline rodwha

Reaming A .31 Pocket
« on: August 26, 2017, 06:04:21 PM »
Reading about these Pietta repros I see they come with .315" chambers and .310 x .326" bores. Looking around I found an 8mm pistol reamer that reams to .325". Anyone ream their chambers?

And looking at the pics there appears to be plenty of meat around those chambers, especially for such small charges even if 4F Swiss is used. However one would need to find a source for soft(er) .330" balls or custom conicals.

As an aside I also noticed it mentioned the newer models are coming with a blade sight instead of that skinny little post. Is this true of all models?
"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Offline rodwha

Re: Reaming A .31 Pocket
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 06:21:23 AM »
Nobody has?

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 10:36:08 AM »
I've seen it mentioned for years.  Maybe you can be the first to actually do it.   I'd look to go at least one over groove though, rather than one under.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 12:50:53 PM »
Hi rodwha, here you go:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/373263/lee-18-cavity-bullet-mold-330-diameter-00-buckshot

I have that mold, it works great to make 0.330" balls.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline rodwha

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 09:38:44 PM »
I've certainly found these little pistols intriguing but quite frankly they are rather low on the list. 'Twas another forum posting that stirred me up a bit. I wouldn't be surprised to one day own one despite the fact it doesn't fit any sort of need or real desire.

Offline necessaryevil

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 12:59:54 PM »
I have one of these little Remingtons. It is standard unmodified out of the box. I just use a .322" diameter round ball mould from Jeff Tanner UK Ballmoulds in England. Hammer them into the chambers cylinder off the gun with a plastic hammer and seat with a brass drift. At 10 yards I can put them all in the "A" zone on an IPSC target.

Offline rodwha

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2017, 07:49:50 PM »
It would most likely improve your accuracy. Regardless I guess I just like things to be right.

Offline BlackpowderJim

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2017, 02:59:45 PM »
I see Old South Firearms has a supply of these pea shooters. http://www.oldsouthfirearms.com/1863remingtonpocket.aspx
I don't know if $300.00 is a good price or not.

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2018, 08:29:32 AM »
I see Old South Firearms has a supply of these pea shooters. http://www.oldsouthfirearms.com/1863remingtonpocket.aspx
I don't know if $300.00 is a good price or not.

Hi Jim, $275 is even a better price, see:

http://www.oldsouthfirearms.com/1863remingtonpocket.aspx

I just ordered one. I have a used steel frame and a new brass 1863. Also own a .32 S&W conversion cylinder for the steel frame gun. This will give me another steel frame to shoot .32 S&W.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Miguel Loco

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2018, 10:54:09 AM »
Definitely an intriguing pistol. Coupled with that conversion cylinder it may be a bit more useful and easier to handle on the range.
-Mick
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando"

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2018, 01:49:50 PM »
A standard reamer size, 21/64ths, is .3281".
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline Calibre32

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2018, 04:45:04 AM »
Some originals............Jim
I was here and you are not, now you are here and I am not

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2018, 09:48:14 AM »
Hi Jim, nice!! Thanks for posting that photo. I wish I could afford to own originals.

Regards,
Richard

Offline Bishop Creek

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2018, 07:44:20 PM »
Some originals............Jim

Both cartridge conversions I see. Nice!

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2018, 05:37:19 PM »
Rodwha; Here's a bullet for your custom Pocket Remmie;
http://accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=33-075M-D.png

Enlarge that rear drive band diameter just a few thousandths and you've got it.  It would work as drawn too, for that matter.  It's only about .070" longer than the reamed, .3281" chamber diameter.  The 33-102C is a nice design, but it's awfully long and heavy for those short chambers, plus it may not stabilize well.