Author Topic: This site has done it again  (Read 1330 times)

Offline GrayFox

This site has done it again
« on: August 23, 2017, 08:00:39 PM »
Last week I found a 1980 year of production stainless 7.5" ROA at a dealer in Michigan.  It even came with the yellow box, nipple wrench and the barely used original ROA flap holster.  Today I picked up a blued 7.5" with a serial number in the 800s from 1972, the first year of production.  The bores on both are like new, but the blued one looks as though something like vinegar was sprayed on the left side of the barrel and loading assembly.  There's little or no blue, but no pitting at all.  Strange, but it is as tight as can be and has a smoothest action than I've seen on any of my Ruger cartridge single actions. 

I got the 210 grain Big Lube round nose flat point 6 cavity mold last week, too, and cast about 150 of those to try out.  Next I've got to try making some paper cartridges with the mandrel and paper pattern I got from Omnivore.  If work didn't get in the way I'd have more time, like everybody else, I guess.  I hope to shoot them at a new hunting area this Sunday and if so I will post about and try to upload some pix.  GF

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
Re: This site has done it again
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 08:10:44 PM »
Now, how can you blame an 1858 Remington site for making you buy two ROA's? (^h  )L$
Great find, GF...looking forward to pix.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Fingers McGee

• Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 09:26:10 PM »
 {?|

You're Welcome

(T^
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS 28564-LTG-Regulator, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Founding member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters.  Member:  The Ozarks Posse, Southern Missouri Rangers, Moniteau Creek River Raiders, Butterfield Trail Cowboys.

Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 10:51:23 PM »
Now, how can you blame an 1858 Remington site for making you buy two ROA's? (^h  )L$

It never made me buy one.  )L$
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline 45 Dragoon

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 02:03:03 AM »
Very Nice GF!!
  I'm hoping to shoot mine as well (maybe this weekend!?) It'll be the first time I've shot bp in about 15 yrs! It'll also be the first time ever shooting a ROA! I will be testing out some new nipples
  I too have a like new S.S. 7.5" er, a new in the box S.S. on the way, a like new blued one, and a definitely used blued one.  The "definitely used one" had a Ruger flap holster with it and a nip wrench (set me back $425.!!) 
  I've decided the "like new" blue one and S.S. ones will be cartridge guns and right now the "used" one is a test bed for some new ideas! I was never a Ruger "fan" untill I got my first one (And now I are one!!)!!

Come on Hawg, the water is warm !!! (And no, I didn't pee in it!! Lol!!  I'm going blame the Cap. or Fingers!! Fingers, I'll have your "like new" Paterson soon so you can shoot her!! :-[)

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 02:07:56 AM by 45 Dragoon »

Offline Fingers McGee

• Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 09:59:08 AM »
Very Nice GF!!
  I'm hoping to shoot mine as well (maybe this weekend!?) It'll be the first time I've shot bp in about 15 yrs! It'll also be the first time ever shooting a ROA! I will be testing out some new nipples
  I too have a like new S.S. 7.5" er, a new in the box S.S. on the way, a like new blued one, and a definitely used blued one.  The "definitely used one" had a Ruger flap holster with it and a nip wrench (set me back $425.!!) 
  I've decided the "like new" blue one and S.S. ones will be cartridge guns and right now the "used" one is a test bed for some new ideas! I was never a Ruger "fan" untill I got my first one (And now I are one!!)!!

Come on Hawg, the water is warm !!! (And no, I didn't pee in it!! Lol!!  I'm going blame the Cap. or Fingers!! Fingers, I'll have your "like new" Paterson soon so you can shoot her!! :-[)

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

Can't wait to try it out Mike.  Sooner the better.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS 28564-LTG-Regulator, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Founding member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters.  Member:  The Ozarks Posse, Southern Missouri Rangers, Moniteau Creek River Raiders, Butterfield Trail Cowboys.

Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2017, 10:55:51 AM »
Come on Hawg, the water is warm

Nope, they don't interest me. I don't even like Ruger centerfire SA's. The only Ruger SA I want is a single six, not a single 7,9,or 10 or whatever the hell they make, just a single six but truth be told I'd take an RG 66 over one.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline GrayFox

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2017, 06:23:55 PM »
Mike, how is my .44 Sheriff's Model coming along?  GF

Offline Dellbert

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2017, 09:50:08 PM »
I'm picky when it comes to Ruger firearms. Some I like, some I don't.
If it's not broke don't try fixin it.

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 08:14:06 PM »
I have a Single 6, 2 old model Vaqueros and a #1 in 220 Swift. I like them all!

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 08:18:06 PM »
Oh, I forgot, I have a bird head grip 22 too.