Author Topic: Powder and static  (Read 383 times)

Offline Old and grumpy

Powder and static
« on: June 17, 2017, 12:34:38 PM »
I have a old flask head and want to make a utility flask for it.  Easy way is to use PVC scrap I already have. There are plastic flasks out there. 

Would PVC cause a static risk with the powder shaking around in side?

Thanks.
Occupied California.Pray for us.----- Proudly Deplorable. Proudly not deportable.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
Re: Powder and static
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 01:25:40 PM »
BP isn't affected by static electricity. Heck it's shipped in plastic bottles now. There is or at least was a you tube video of it being tasered.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline mike116

• Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 01:44:01 PM »
Here's some interesting reading on the subject.   There is a lot more to read if you research the subject with Google or any other search engine.   I think you need to decide for yourself what to believe.   

http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_experiments/sparks/sparks.html
http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_experiments/electric_ignition/eignition.html
https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/can-a-static-spark-set-off-black-powder.355789/

Offline Old and grumpy

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 02:45:18 PM »
Thanks.

All I know is that on static days I generate enough voltage to stun my big brown dog!
---
Another odd thing is that some times I find ants on my loading bench taking loose flakes of powder. Wonder how much they have built up in the walls?

What are they planing? 
Occupied California.Pray for us.----- Proudly Deplorable. Proudly not deportable.

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 03:40:42 PM »
Hi, plastic bottles and parts used in BP containers may include conducting carbon in the plastic. I understand it is very difficult to get BP to ignite with a static spark, but that's because of the carbon in the powder conducting the current.

However, IMO stay with copper and brass.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline PaleHawkDown

• Forum Legend
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 10:15:36 AM »
BP isn't affected by static electricity. Heck it's shipped in plastic bottles now. There is or at least was a you tube video of it being tasered.

That was a brave individual. There used to be in-lines that used those little electric sparkers found in lighters.

Maybe the guns just didn't work that well and that's why they aren't around anymore?

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 05:45:45 PM »

That was a brave individual. There used to be in-lines that used those little electric sparkers found in lighters.

Maybe the guns just didn't work that well and that's why they aren't around anymore?

Different setup altogether. You have to have heat to set off bp not just a spark. Flintlocks work because the spark is a piece of iron or steel shaved off the frizzen and they are hot.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 06:30:07 PM »
Yep, I agree! Yes, static can build up high voltage, but it is a "cold" spark. I have both the regular Lyman powder measure and the black powder measure. The only difference is the powder hopper on the BP measure is aluminum. Before I got the BP measure I put a brass hopper on my Lyman measure because of concerns about static, but then I found that I wouldn't have needed to worry about it. The only thing static does is cause powder to cling to the hopper wall and drop tube. Another case of CYA on the part of Lyman.