1858 remington forum

Author Topic: Euroarms fore sight thread pitch  (Read 1631 times)

Offline Lostcat

Euroarms fore sight thread pitch
« on: May 14, 2017, 10:22:09 AM »
Anyone help shed some light on the foresight thread on '97 Euroarms R & S.
Arrived fitted with 8BA which was stripped leaving 2.5mm OD,probably why it was sold.
Tried 8BA & standard M3 but neither fit right,I can't measure the internal thread with anything to hand so hoped someone out there has the answer.
I suspect metric M3 fine .35mm pitch so have Tap and die on order.
I prefer to make things and be able to fine tune the height,6.75mm high is POA at 25yrds.
Many thanks for any info.

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Re: Euroarms fore sight thread pitch
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 11:40:44 AM »
Check this out
Re: Gunsmithing a new Front Sight
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 03:20:19 PM »

This is for a Remi, but there might be a similar problem with the R&S, i.e. how to get the screw thread go all the way up.

Offline Lostcat

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 10:06:34 AM »
The problem is with not having the thread pitch info,screwing a sight with the wrong thread could spoil the thread in the barrel.
My lathe will cut .35mm pitch but I also need some way of holding the new part to work on.
I tap a piece of bar for that so also need the same tap as the thread in the barrel.
Hope this makes sense.

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 11:51:50 AM »
"also need the same tap as the thread in the barrel"

not necessarily. If you have a die for what you think is right, make a test screw of softer material, aluminum or brass

Offline KapundBall

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 12:15:41 AM »
I had an Uberti dovetail front sight cut into mine to replace the silly brass post.
I recently mentioned to a friend that I was getting more interested in Black Powder. He said, "What, like Malcolm X and the Black Panthers?"

Offline Lostcat

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 06:20:45 AM »
"also need the same tap as the thread in the barrel"

not necessarily. If you have a die for what you think is right, make a test screw of softer material, aluminum or brass

I'm threading a piece of 1/4" bar to hold the sight in the lathe for working the profile and length/height,could make the thread then part off but then not so easy to hold the part true as they are conical,could hold by the threaded end in a collet but not best practice with brass with such a fine thread.
So far made an 8BA very nicely as was fitted only to find that the part would not screw in and stripped with very little effort.
Then a very nice M3 assuming as it was made in Italy that it must be metric.
Nope. The post is in but not the right thread,M3 fine is the most likely so will go for that next.
As a clockmaker by trade it isn't a problem to own all sorts of taps and dies as they go down as expenses.
Thanks for the time taken to read and reply with suggestions,I'll win in the end and post the size it is.

Offline Lostcat

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2017, 02:50:00 AM »
Ok so its not,
M3 standard x.5mm  Too coarse.
M3 fine x.35   Too fine.
8BA    Too coarse.
Main part of the problem is I am not able to have the barrel at my workshop due to UK restrictions