Author Topic: Fifty round belt box for paper cartridges  (Read 4283 times)

Offline blackpowderben

Re: Fifty round belt box for paper cartridges
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2017, 05:39:32 PM »
That is awesome!
When you have to shoot, shoot! Don't talk

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2017, 06:39:28 PM »
Yeah, awesome.  The very word.  You two guys done good.

The Professor seems well pleased with his current spousal-unit.  I imagine he'll save money in other ways than putting off a trip to the Bahamas with his girlfriends.  I mean ... you know what I mean.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 06:47:28 PM by G Dog »
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".   
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline prof marvel

• I don't think I know as much as *you* think I know
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2017, 08:55:52 PM »
Yeah, awesome.  The very word.  You two guys done good.

The Professor seems well pleased with his current spousal-unit.  I imagine he'll save money in other ways than putting off a trip to the Bahamas with his girlfriends.  I mean ... you know what I mean.

Oh Yes.
We Know.

I'll probably have to sell of one of the Rememberants, or that original Clot Waker, or some such...

yhs
prf mumbles.
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Percussion Caps, Pins, Needles, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards

Supplier of Useless Advice for All Occasions

Offline Gunslinger9378

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Some will...some won't....But I do!
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2017, 10:08:43 PM »
Dear Friends,
            I have to admit that the idea is a good one, for those shooters who carry fragile Paper Cartridges in the Field! However I have already invested in well over a dozen Cylinders, and with these there is no fiddling about with fragile Paper Cartridges, which in the excitement of seeing an elligable Buck, might be a little too fragile for fumbling fingers.  Especially EXCITED Fumbling Fingers!!!
            In Australia when we used to go out  t night and Spotlight Kangaroo's, I would sometimes take a box of fifty rounds with me, but NEVER used that many!  Even on a busy evening, when weather conditions were idea, it was rare to have more that 25 cases to reload!  15 would be more of an average!
            About the only animal that a shooter in this Lower 48 would be likely to encounter,  and that may need a follow-up shot(s) to settle the encounter, would be our Old Friends, the Feral Hog! I have been told that these Critturs can be downright Testy, and if they decide that you are uwelcome in their territory, can cause a human much woe & Trepidition! (To say nothing of copious Blood Loss!)
            Those intrepid Westerners who ventureed forth across this nation in the latter half of the 19th Century, were braver than they knew!!! Oh, they had read the letters that neighbors had received from others in their families who had gone the last season, but there is no second guessing nature, and the weather that the previous seasons travellers had experienced, could be very different indeed from the that conditions YOUR PARTY may encounter!  About the ONLY knowledgeale People they might encounter, were some of the Mountain Men, who would sometimes take great delight in frihtening the Living Daylighs out of the Greenies, with tales of fifteen foot Grizzly Bears, and Pack of Wolves. (Which in fact were very little danger to Humans!)
            One of the Outdoor Life Magazines put up the Princely Sum of $10,000.oo for anyone who could give them a VERIFIABLY Tale where wolves had ever attacked an able-Bodied Hunter of Traveller.  This was back in the 1920's I believe.  The Money is still up for grabs.  Wolves will hang around your camp. and will accept scraps, but will not attack an able bodied Human.  There have been one or two exceptions, but in every case of this type, an examination of the animal that did attack a human, proved it to be rabid!
            My Penultimate wife had a Coffee Table book that had a scad of pictures taken by the Author, of a Wolf Pack he had lived with up in Northern Canada for about four or five months.  He was often left behind when the pack found a Caribou Herd and raced off after it, but he just followed their tracks, and camped near them all when he caught up with them.  They soon realized he meant them no harm, and even when the Boss Bitch had a litter of Wolf-Cubs, she did not become the least bit alarmed when the Cubs investigated this strange Bi-Ped that was following them all the time.  One VERY Charming picture he took, was a two or three of the cubs untying his boot laces.   You could plainly see that that they had been wrestling with one another over his feet, and the picture he had taken with the camera pointing vertically downwards as the cubs pulled at his bootlaces until they got them undone!  Mom & Dad just looked on at the cubs antics, with what seemed to the young man, to be parental Pride!
            The young man was very sad to say goodbye to his four-footed friends.  The book belonged to the wife, so I never saw it again after we split up. The book was quite large,  about 18" square, and it had about 180 pages.  The young man had obviously
 "done His Homework" and just took with him a supp;y of what I can only imagine were some kind of emergency Rations for himself.  He had also plainly learned a lot about wolves, for he did not take a weapon of any kind with him.  He eventually became very fond of the Pack, and it was obviously quite painful for him to have to,"Say Good-Bye," to them all, when his time was up, and he had to head back to Civilization once more.  For several weeks he as all alone with just the Wolf-Pack for company, and he never ONCE felt the least bit threatened by any of them.  The photographs he took of the pack were very beautiful. They were all in prime Winter Fur, and looked for all the world like they were his pack of Pets, as they lay all around his tent in the snow, and watched his antics!
                                                                                                        Gunslinger9378.
Never make the mistake of thinking I will not shoot..........
Because it may be your very last mistake!

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2017, 10:34:03 PM »
I have already invested in well over a dozen Cylinders, and with these there is no fiddling about with fragile Paper Cartridges, which in the excitement of seeing an elligable Buck, might be a little too fragile for fumbling fingers.

OK, they're not really all that fragile (I've dropped them on hard ground with little or no damage) and you don't wait to load your gun.  You have it loaded before you see said eligible buck, and then you only have to cock the hammer.  You wouldn't go out hunting without a cylinder in the gun either, I reckon.

For that matter, I wouldn't take the fifty round box out hunting either.  Not unless it was to slaughter as many pigs as possible, or some such.  For my deer hunt last fall I took two loaded chambers in a six-shooter, one capped and one not capped.  I figured I'd never need it, but I also took a six pack of cartridges in my pocket.  That's nearly four time the ammo I've ever needed on a deer hunt.  At the end I only fired one shot, and Mr Buck was headed for the freezer, and we're still eating him.

The most shots I've ever fired on a deer hunt was two.  The most reloads I've ever performed on a hut is two, and that's if you count the one dry ball I did on the muzzleloading rifle.

No, Sir; I don't see this so much as part of a hunting rig as it is part of a fun day of plinking and target shooting, or part of a camping, hiking and shooting trip, etc.  Even a trip to a formal range to shoot at static targets would be greatly facilitated by not having to bring anything but the gun belt and a capper.  The idea is you get in more shooting, come shooting day, because you've assembled all your loads beforehand, and you're not transporting loose components.

Now for hunting, I am thinking of a six pack belt box.  A little bitty thing, similar to this one but in a leather belt box;
http://1858remington.com/discuss/index.php?topic=10934.msg188409#msg188409

Two rounds in the cylinder, plus six extra cartridges, is a lot of fire power for a one day, one tag deer hunt.  If you need more than one or two rounds you probably messed up at some stage.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2017, 11:24:07 PM »
I should also credit Roman Pacheco of Idaho for the computer aided drafting work and 3D printing of the six packs and the fifty round belt box core.  He went through several rolls of polymer filament, and many hours of work, for this project.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline vhram

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2017, 09:41:45 AM »
That looks awesome !

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2017, 10:25:31 AM »
Can you make it curve at the hip sorta like a claymore mine?

......... Second, a compound curve would make the leatherwork more difficult (but maybe Mike would have more to say on that). ...........

Mike116 already made a curved pouch leather lining. Somewhere in the treasure vaults of the Forum, there is a photograph or two. Classanr might know.

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2017, 07:03:01 PM »
Hello Len,

That would require a substantial redesign.  Currently the lid hinges along the straight back, all the way across, and this provides continuity of the leather all the way over the top, to the back; good protection against wet weather.  If the back were curved, the hinge action (bending, really) would be compromised.  Also the core would be more expensive to make.

If you were to try this design, just as it is now, you'd soon forget about having a curved one.

Anyway; what are we really discussing there, summersaults and rolls while wearing your gun belt?  If you were doing regular summersaults and rolls while wearing this system, the gun would become the focus of your attention (and pain) rather than the cartridge box.

Offline Hewy

• Black Friday
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2017, 08:46:25 AM »
A while back, you Omni, got me interested in rolling paper cartridges, I tried cig paper
then seatled on hair curling papers.
Then you introduced a wood insert container holding  6 rounds housed in a leather pouch,
now this. With the help of Mike the leather guy seems to me you have arrived.
Nice work ! (T^
Hewy
Better to be gettin , than gettin got.

Offline mike116

• Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2017, 10:40:52 AM »
Can you make it curve at the hip sorta like a claymore mine?

......... Second, a compound curve would make the leatherwork more difficult (but maybe Mike would have more to say on that). ...........

Mike116 already made a curved pouch leather lining. Somewhere in the treasure vaults of the Forum, there is a photograph or two. Classanr might know.

Curving the back of the 50 round cartridge box could be done but it's not necessary.   The box is only 6 inches wide.   It rides comfortably on a belt as is.   It's also more difficult to make a box with only one side curved than a box that has both the front and back curved.  In addition the lid is completely separate from the body of the box which makes it easier to execute.
Here's the curved box I made that belongs to Classanr

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2017, 12:34:02 PM »
Hello Len,

That would require a substantial redesign.  Currently the lid hinges along the straight back, all the way across, and this provides continuity of the leather all the way over the top, to the back; good protection against wet weather.  If the back were curved, the hinge action (bending, really) would be compromised.  Also the core would be more expensive to make.

If you were to try this design, just as it is now, you'd soon forget about having a curved one.

Anyway; what are we really discussing there, summersaults and rolls while wearing your gun belt?  If you were doing regular summersaults and rolls while wearing this system, the gun would become the focus of your attention (and pain) rather than the cartridge box.

Hello Omni,
I buy all of your practical opinions. I just propagated for a more extravagant style. As the bloody Germans say: "Warum es einfach machen, wenn man es so wunderschön kompliziert machen könnte" (or something in that direction).

Offline Classanr

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • BP, the original bug chaser!
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2017, 07:12:23 PM »
Easy for you to say.
Jim Beam me, Scotty!  Life here is more intelligent than I.

Offline Classanr

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • BP, the original bug chaser!
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2017, 07:14:12 PM »

Here's the curved box I made that belongs to Classanr

And a wonderful work of art it is!
Jim Beam me, Scotty!  Life here is more intelligent than I.

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2017, 08:20:36 PM »
"Warum es einfach machen, wenn man es so wunderschön kompliziert machen könnte"

"Why make it easy if you could make it so wonderfully complicated?"  Something like that.

Yeah, well, Len; that's not peculiar to the bloody Germans, I can assure you.  Just look at any new automobile for an examples of that, no matter where they're made.  Look at any computer operating system-- They just keep getting bigger, more complicated, more resource hungry, and more fraught with pitfalls and problems.  Give me something like Windows '94, but stable.  It'll do everything you want done, but with a thousandth of the code and a thousandth of the resources..  Even that was too much of a giant, lumbering pig for them to keep it running right.

I think we do that to everything in our lives, then we wonder why life can't be simple.

Some time, far in the future, some enterprising kid is going to discover a brand new concept called a "carburetor" and he'll hook it up to an internal combustion engine, along with a high voltage coil and a set of contact points.  He'll then build it all into a basic chassis with only basic functions (very few of them electric, much less computerized) and it'll be so cheap and reliable that he'll become a trillionaire selling them.  Hundreds of millions of people who couldn't afford such a luxury as a personal motor vehicle, much less care for one, will suddenly be driving them (or flying them) all over the place.

This, as usual when the "common people" find a new level of freedom, will piss off a lot of people who view themselves as "authorities" or "central planners".  They will panic, and try to put a stop to it before too many people realize that their "authority" is just a hoax.