1858 remington forum

Author Topic: Fifty round belt box for paper cartridges  (Read 4677 times)

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Fifty round belt box for paper cartridges
« on: May 03, 2017, 09:15:17 AM »
Just a quick teaser.  Leathersmith Mike (Mike116) did the leather work.  The internal core, with individual cavities for the cartridges, is 3D printed in wood fiber filled PLA plastic.  This model holds the fifty rounds in the same space that my wooden-cored original held forty rounds.  Designed for the 30 grain, 44 Army paper cartridges, it's a major component to the "Field Carry" system.

No more flasks, measures, bags of wads, bags of balls or tubs of grease, et al, in the field-- All that stuff is pre-configured and neatly packaged inside the cartridge.  The box filled with fifty rounds weighs about two pounds.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline Classanr

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • BP, the original bug chaser!
Re: Fifty round belt box for paper cartridges
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 09:47:09 AM »
Sign me up for one  {?|
Jim Beam me, Scotty!  Life here is more intelligent than I.

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 12:17:27 PM »
Correction; It's a shade over 2.5 pounds full, depending largely on the bullet weight of course.  I have both 200s and 225s in it now.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline Classanr

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 01:50:04 PM »
Oh, well in that case, forget it  M__

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 02:08:37 PM »
If you use round ball you're knocking off a half pound of lead compared to my combo pack of 200s and 225s.   :P

50 bullets of 225 gr comes to 1.6 pounds.
50 bullets of 200 grains  is 1.4 pounds
50 RB at 140 gr comes to 1 pound ("Calibre; fifty balls to the pound")

Just wanna get the numbers right, 'cause what good are numbers when they ain't right?  ;D

Offline Classanr

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 02:42:56 PM »
Oh good, now I'm back in.  {?|

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2017, 09:39:15 AM »
What's the inside look like?
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2017, 09:50:27 AM »
What's the inside look like?

It s kind of blackpowderish

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2017, 10:13:19 AM »
Pretty much like this;

Offline Classanr

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2017, 12:59:16 PM »
Can you make it curve at the hip sorta like a claymore mine?

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2017, 01:23:33 PM »
What kind of radius for the belly is needed?

Offline prof marvel

• I don't think I know as much as *you* think I know
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2017, 01:35:19 PM »
Oh My Good Omnivore The Entrepreneur -

That is amazing and desirable!
can you possibly come up with a price guestimate?

yhs
prf mvl
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Percussion Caps, Pins, Needles, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards

Supplier of Useless Advice for All Occasions

Offline Classanr

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2017, 03:39:29 PM »
What kind of radius for the belly is needed?

Yeah, Omnivore, can you make that curve Lensized?

And will this thing work for 45acp so I don't have to carry around a rattly box of 50?  Right now I use 10 each 8mm 5-rnd stripper clips to keep 50 loose rounds from rattling.  Works for the noise-reduction purpose, but takes two hands to grab a round for reload.

Offline Hewy

• Black Friday
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2017, 04:58:16 PM »
Oh My Good Omnivore The Entrepreneur -

yhs
prf mvl

He won"t guess, it will be exact.
Hewy
Better to be gettin , than gettin got.

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2017, 05:22:55 PM »

Thought about it.  First, it's not as wide as you might think.  I've had the original for two years or so, I've used it many times, winter summer spring and fall, and it just wasn't an issue at all.  As soon as I got this one back from Mike116 I wore it around the property quite a bit - no difference - if anything it's better in that regard because the belt loops are better.  Second, a compound curve would make the leatherwork more difficult (but maybe Mike would have more to say on that).  I really don't see it as an issue as it is, and so I'd put that into the category of "a solution to a problem that doesn't exist".

For carrying extra ACP rounds; get more magazines.  They make belt pouches for those.  If you're using a revolver for any auto pistol round, then it should be set up to use moon clips or half-moon clips.  Get more clips.  For rimmed revolver cartridges, use speed loaders, which come in several configurations.  Given the currently available options I don't see any reason to carry loose rounds any way you look at it, is the point.  For a lever, single shot or bolt gun, they already make cartridge belts and bandoliers, and some ammo makers even sell their 20 round boxes with two plastic belt-looped containers holding ten rounds each.  There are several existing options there.

That being said; there may be some better way still, as there usually is. 

What the world did not have to offer until now is a good and handy way to carry revolver paper cartridges in a dispenser.  Not that I could find, and I looked, so then I had to make one.  THIS is a dispenser as well as a carrying case.  The old style six packs were handy carriers, but try reloading from one, using the original, tab-less cartridges, without any place to set anything down.  It can be done (I've tried it) but it is something of a stunt.  That, and packing fifty rounds in six packs means you're packing eight or nine little six packs in your pockets.  That's a lot of extra handling and fiddling compared to opening your belt box and plucking out cartridges.

As far as I'm concerned, this is "The Way" to carry and operate a percussion revolver.  Johnnie would beg to differ, preferring a passel of spare cylinders.  That's fine until you're talking about carrying all of that extra weight and bulk on your person in a mobile situation.  If you're shooing from a fixed position with tables and chairs, then by all means set up and lay out all your shooting accessories, but this is "Field Carry" we're talking.

OK I'll stop evangelizing.

A poignant response, Professor!
It's too early to work out at the moment.  Not enough information.  We still have to finalize the leatherwork design, and then Mike has to tell me what he needs.  Suffice it to say that you should save up for a while, maybe take out a mortgage one of your various real estate holdings, or sell one of your race horses or classic sports cars, maybe put off that divorce and the trip to The Bahamas with your new wife for a while...  (OK, just kidding - probably not that much).