Author Topic: Haz Mat!!  (Read 653 times)

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Haz Mat!!
« on: May 01, 2017, 01:35:58 PM »
I just ordered five pounds of black powder.  The supplier is no more than two hours drive away.

Haz Mat fee: FIFTY DOLLARS AND CHANGE.

Next time I may be driving to get it.  On a five pound order the fee raises the price per pound by more than ten dollars, so although the sale price is 20.40, I end up paying in excess of 31 dollars per pound for Olde Eynsford.  Oh, add sales tax too, plus the actual freight charge.

The salesman tells me this fee increase happened within the last several months.

Everything is being made more difficult and more expensive.  At some point this has to break.

So after all the harping I've done against those of you who've complained that "You can't get real black powder around here" (my response has been some version of "Just order it, Stupid"); well, I'm beginning to change my position on that.

Also, the hippies, tree huggers, gangsters and communists *claim* they're trying to make the world a safer place, and yet they're forcing me, withOUT my commercial driver's license, to transport large amounts of Haz Mat on the highway system because their efforts are making commercial shipping so expensive.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
Re: Haz Mat!!
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 03:18:42 PM »
I can't afford to buy real bp very often, may never buy any again but the last Swiss I bought was 157.00 per five pounds from Powder Inc with hazmat and shipping included.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline rodwha

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 03:32:36 PM »
Wow! That's one helluva fee! It's been quite some time since I've purchased some (Grafs) so I had to check their site. Still $20 but the price for a pound is now up to $20.

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/26169

Maybe Grafs would be a more reasonable cost for you.
"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Offline Classanr

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • BP, the original bug chaser!
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 07:57:27 PM »
Watching this go on, I am pleased that I picked up 50 tubes of 50/50 Pyrodex tabs and 50 tubes of 50/50 Trip7ven for a total of $84 with tax.  There's a Walmart not too far away that still has about 1000 tubes in the clearance bin.

Omnivore:

As of March 17, 2017 for *air freight*
http://rates.ups.com/surcharges.html

As of April 1, 2017 for *ground freight*
https://www.ups.com/media/en/retail_rates.pdf
See page 119  $32 domestic per package.

Did you have two packages sent to you?
Jim Beam me, Scotty!  Life here is more intelligent than I.

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 09:33:50 PM »
Yes; two packages, but only one had any Haz Mat in it.  The other was some steel punches, is all.  The fifty dollars + was just the Haz Mat fee.

That is for the links, guys.  I think maybe BACO is looking to make a few extra bucks.  I could drive 45 minutes south and get BP over the counter, but last I checked they didn't have the Olde Eynsford I like.  I'll be checking again.

Offline prof marvel

• I don't think I know as much as *you* think I know
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 01:55:49 AM »
Yes; two packages, but only one had any Haz Mat in it.  The other was some steel punches, is all.  The fifty dollars + was just the Haz Mat fee.

That is for the links, guys.  I think maybe BACO is looking to make a few extra bucks.  I could drive 45 minutes south and get BP over the counter, but last I checked they didn't have the Olde Eynsford I like.  I'll be checking again.

Omni - see if you can get a few local guys to split a 50 pound case!
Alternatively start hitting the summer rondy's - you could buy  an entire case of Old E yourslef and ... um ...
set aside  an unmarked bag or two
and later find a "really nice rock" in it's place ....

or arrange to meet guys there to split it up. Yeah that's it!

yhs
prof ( i never said that) mumbles
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Percussion Caps, Pins, Needles, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards

Supplier of Useless Advice for All Occasions

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 06:33:07 AM »
I hate that Haz Mat fee.  ^y%
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline Kaeto

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Official Mad Dog Nose Tweaker.
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2017, 11:18:15 AM »
That's because you have to pay it every day that you breathe Sam. Your breath is hazardous from all the booze you drink.
“The path of the warrior is difficult! We live to protect those who cannot protect themselves! Honour in serving! Honour in defending! Honour in dying for a just cause!”

"A knight is sworn to valor; His heart knows only virtue; His blade defends the helpless; His might upholds the weak; His word speaks only truth,
and his wrath undoes the wicked."

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2017, 12:51:31 PM »
One of the reasons I switched to Pyrodex...
1) always in stock at the LGS
2) no hazmat attached as it is a 'propellant' rather than an explosive. Same goes for T7, Black MZ, etc.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2017, 03:19:15 PM »
Hi Kirk, if you want to have caps, Pryodex, Black Mz, or Triple 7 shipped to you, there will be a hazmat fee.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline rodwha

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2017, 03:24:01 PM »
I've paid the HazMat for T7 for sure.

Pyrodex is not an acceptable propellant for me. With T7 and/or Olde E my NMA is equivalent to a standard load .45 ACP which is what I feel is about the minimum to be humane for hunting. I also absolutely hate the fouling it leaves.
"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2017, 04:33:22 PM »

Pyrodex is not an acceptable propellant for me. With T7 and/or Olde E my NMA is equivalent to a standard load .45 ACP which is what I feel is about the minimum to be humane for hunting. I also absolutely hate the fouling it leaves.

Pyrodex is a pretty stout load in my 44-40's. The fouling is no worse than black.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2017, 07:55:43 PM »
when I shut down the store  about 4 yr ago  I still had 3# of BP in stock  and 6 # of 777

It's for sale but only local pickup.
The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps.
General Alexander A. Vandergrift, USMC
to the Senate Naval Affairs Committee, 5 May 1946
------------
Marines Birthday  11/10/1775
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Offline rodwha

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2017, 08:59:24 PM »

Pyrodex is a pretty stout load in my 44-40's. The fouling is no worse than black.

From most of the chronographed results I've seen posted it falls nearly inbetween standard Goex and Swiss/Olde E/T7. Ultimately it would likely wouldn't even break 300 ft/lbs with my 30 grn charge and 195 grn boolit which just won't do.

I don't find the fouling thick. I find it an odd sort of sticky or gooey. I don't like it.

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2017, 11:24:47 PM »
From most of the chronographed results I've seen posted it falls nearly inbetween standard Goex and Swiss/Olde E/T7. Ultimately it would likely wouldn't even break 300 ft/lbs with my 30 grn charge and 195 grn boolit which just won't do.

It'll do better than that.  Depending on the actual load, Pyro P will do almost as well, to just as well, as Swiss.

Also, my data from 30 grains Old Eynsford, 200 grain bullet (203 actual) shot from Pietta 8" Remington with 16" twist shows energy between 316 and 365 ft lbs.  With 35 grains and the same bullet I get average vel at 985.2 fps and energy of 438 ft lbs.  Furthermore, Pyro is more compressible, so you could fit more powder under your bullet-- 40 to 45 grains by equivalent volume would be reasonably doable with your short bullet.

I'd bet you could touch on 500 ft lbs with that 195 bullet.  More with a longer barrel.  From the 18" carbine I got a six shot string of 1,051 fps av with 30 gr OE and the 203 bullet, for 498 ft lbs. and the 9" Walker with 45 gr OE yielded up to 512 ft lbs average.  More energy with heavier bullets though.