Author Topic: SD Caughey Leather Hand Tooled 1858 Cross-Draw Holster  (Read 890 times)

Offline BlackpowderJim

SD Caughey Leather Hand Tooled 1858 Cross-Draw Holster
« on: May 01, 2017, 11:52:55 AM »
This is my second holster that Steve has made for me. A beautiful example of his work from the detailed tooling to the antique brown stain.  You can reach Steve on his Etsy account https://www.etsy.com/shop/SDCaugheyLeather?ref=l2-shopheader-name.

Offline Rebel Dave

Re: SD Caughey Leather Hand Tooled 1858 Cross-Draw Holster
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 12:07:55 PM »
Very nice holster, He has a nice selection.
 Rebel Dave

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 12:13:14 PM »
Don't feel bad; I've seen worse.

Just kidding.  Actually it's really gorgeous!   ])M

I'd want some kind of retention though.  You don't want the gun bouncing out while galloping through the countryside on horseback...or ATV...or snowmobile, etc.  A friend of mine lost a pistol that way, far out in the Alaskan mountains.  Also I once found a cell phone high in the Idaho mountains, lost similarly by a hunter.  Stuff 'appens is the point.  Is there a hammer thong there that I'm not seeing?  If not, it would be a simple matter to add one.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline BlackpowderJim

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 12:15:24 PM »
Hi RD, yes he has a tremendous selection. He invested over seven hours of labor just to do mine, plus he lets the holster form-fit the model gun for a day or two. Do not expect an instant, off the shelf holster. Steve makes them to order. At any price, you are not going to beat it.

Offline BlackpowderJim

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 12:21:16 PM »
Don't feel bad; I've seen worse.

Just kidding.  Actually it's really gorgeous!   ])M

I'd want some kind of retention though.  You don't want the gun bouncing out while galloping through the countryside on horseback...or ATV...or snowmobile, etc.  A friend of mine lost a pistol that way, far out in the Alaskan mountains.  Also I once found a cell phone high in the Idaho mountains, lost similarly by a hunter.  Stuff 'appens is the point.  Is there a hammer thong there that I'm not seeing?  If not, it would be a simple matter to add one.

Hey Omni, the worst case of losing something in the wilderness is when some poor cowboy rested his 1882 Winchester against a tree way up in northern Nevada; probably got turned around and could not find it. Someone, however did find it, over 100 years later! Here is the article.... http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=33093460  I am just a range shooter, so I would not need a tie-down. However, the pistol fits remarkably snug.