Author Topic: Now what do I do?  (Read 2556 times)

Offline echo1

Now what do I do?
« on: April 02, 2017, 05:32:28 PM »
Hi Fellas,

So now that I've acquired this little .44 Uberti carbine, it opens up deer season a bit earlier for me here in Kali. I haven't even shot it yet, as I I'm clueless what to feed it, or the support equipment and tools I should have or carry. Just the wood and steel, that's all I got. I'm a sucker for a deal or I wouldn't have it.

This is the last year for huntin with lead in in Kali, so I was thinking of using the same projectile that I'll learn on, lead ball if legal. Prolly 50-75 yards max.

So what say ye?

Thanks, PAX

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Re: Now what do I do?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 06:07:57 PM »
same as you would any gun

powder in a flask  or in premeasured charges
either round balls or conicals
caps  ( maybe in a capper)
Lube or lubed wads.

Your premeasured charges and projectile   will be whatever you have found to be the most accurate  for you and the carbine.

pm sent
The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps.
General Alexander A. Vandergrift, USMC
to the Senate Naval Affairs Committee, 5 May 1946
------------
Marines Birthday  11/10/1775
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 09:43:52 AM »
Yeah, just what DD4 stated.
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 10:07:25 AM »
Agreed. .454 lead ball, 35gr 3F or equivalent. Wear safety glasses; those carbines are known for fragging.
Not sure if Kali can outlaw lead projectiles for a C&B weapon as that is what they are designed to shoot. Jacketed bullets are not safe or recommended in a C&B weapon.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 11:40:30 AM »
Keep your off/support hand well behind the cylinder face.  One member here, Cap and Baller, uses a scarf to protect his neck and face while he shoots his carbine.  That seems like a very good idea against hot gas and frags.   

I don’t often use carbines.  They are fun for sure- but there are places I prefer not to put my face.  Arms length is close enough for this shooter.   M__

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".   
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline Bishop Creek

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 01:00:53 PM »
Agreed. .454 lead ball, 35gr 3F or equivalent. Wear safety glasses; those carbines are known for fragging.
Not sure if Kali can outlaw lead projectiles for a C&B weapon as that is what they are designed to shoot. Jacketed bullets are not safe or recommended in a C&B weapon.

The lead ban goes into effect statewide next year, but it is only for hunting. Lead will still be ok for target shooting.

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 05:36:57 PM »
Try various loads until you find one that shoots accurately.  I placed a self-imposed range limit on my Remington carbine of 50 yards for deer.  I was hoping for 100, but my shooting trials right before hunting season last fall yielded very poor performance at 100, and only "OK" at 50.  I have NOT gone to any great length yet, to find a good accurate load for it.  I ended up using a Walker revolver instead however, with a 200 grain wide flat point bullet it did great at 16 yards.

So my suggestion would be to try a variety of leads, tending toward high power, and include some conical bullet loads in those trials.  The Lee 450-200-1R mold is cheap, and it makes good bullets.

Don't worry about carrying a lot of junk with you on a hunt.  Depending on how far from home you hunt though, and whether you'll be out overnight, that will change the amount of loading and cleaning gear you might want to have along.

In my case the state hunting regs were vague on a percussion revolver for muzzleloader season, so I went with the double barrel rifle rules and only had one chamber fully loaded, with a second chamber charged but not capped.  I hunt close to home so that's what I brought with me; the gun with two loads in it, plus a capper.  I carried a six pack of paper cartridges in a coat pocket as a precaution, but in no way did I ever believe I'd actually be reloading.

The most I've fired on any deer hunt in one day is two shots.  Even if I were going out to "hunting camp" for a week, I'd not bring more than the two shots in the cylinder and a spare six pack of paper cartridges unless I though I'd do some plinking or some such.  A spray can of Ballistol and a bore and chamber swab for cleaning, and I'd be good all week.  Our standard limit for deer in WA is one per year, so usually it's a one-shot season.  No need for a lot of loading supplies.

I would NOT try to take a deer at 100 yards with a 44 round ball.  I'm sure it could be done with perfect target presentation AND perfect shot placement by a hunter who understands deer anatomy to a tee, but that opens up too much potential for a wounded and lost deer for me.  I'll do it with a 50 cal round ball, and have done so out to 85 yards, but I consider that to be a whole different "ball game", as it were.  I use 110 grains of powder in that rifle, for one thing, and it shoots well, plus the aperture sight arrangement means I can sight a bit better AND the standard ML rifle can be held a bit better (more stable) from a standing or kneeling position compared to the revolving carbine.

So in short; practice practice practice, find your comfort range, and then take only that shot that is well within that comfort range.  If that comes to 100 yards, then fine, but energy-wise, that little 44 round ball is losing a lot of its energy at that distance and it doesn't have a lot to start with.  200 grain or heavier conicals will deliver a lot more kinetic energy, as I have tested this with a chronograph.  I now a nice 220 grain, wide flat point bullet, and that is most likely what I will use next fall;
 http://accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=45-225L-D.png

I killed that deer last fall with the 45-200S, also from Accurate Molds, and it did extremely well thoughbeit at very close range from a 9" pistol.  I passed up on other shots because they weren't inside my "comfort zone", but when I finally did shoot, it was one and done.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2017, 09:20:17 PM »

The lead ban goes into effect statewide next year, but it is only for hunting. Lead will still be ok for target shooting.
So what the hell are folks supposed to hunt with? I would begin challenging that reg right now before the ban goes into effect.

I agree with Omni on the Lee 200gr conical, but our man here has not expressed any interest (yet) in casting so I declined to mention it. That being said, it bears mentioning.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2017, 10:03:45 PM »
So what the hell are folks supposed to hunt with?

Their accordions and guitars or they hire a mariachi band.
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".   
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline Gunslinger9378

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Some will...some won't....But I do!
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2017, 12:00:23 PM »
Dear Friends,
            This total proposed ban on Lead projectiles is typical of the twisted thinking of those in Power in the, "Land of Fruits and Nuts!"  If I was offered a very easy job with free accomodation,  plus a Car and free gas for it, I would still not live there!  When I first came to the United States, I harbored thoughts about how nice it would be to live there. I conjured up thoughts of Brown skinned Girls in Bikini's, (Not that many of said girls would have looked at me that much!) However I soon began to learn a few things about the place, that made me re-think my options!  I have always been repulsed by Homosexuals, and apparently, California is the ONLY state in the Union, where one can be jailed, if you Deck the Faggot Son-of-a-Bitch, who lovingly feels up one's Ass!  Then I learned that The place was definitely NOT GUN FRIENDLY!  Then other aspects of life there began to invade my thoughts!  When the News Media published news of Natural Disasters, Mud Slides, Catastrophic Brush Fires,  that destroyed not only acres of Natural Habitat, but many homes of great value as well.  Earthquakes, that caused great disruption to areas of high traffic density, and one in particular, where a whole section of an elevated freeway had collapsed, and several Car drivers had gone over the edge, because they were too close to the break to be able to stop in time!  I imagind the sheer terror of the drivers, who saw too late, that they were about to fall several hundred feet, in the sure knowledge that death awaited them when they hit the lower level! I noted that these, "Natural Disasters," were ALWAYS IN Californistan!!!!
            I used to feel distinctly uneasy whenever I had to cross the State line into Californistan, when I was an OTR Trucker. What if I had to make my delivery to a part of Los Angeles, that was subject to Earthquakes?  What would be my best course of action?
Well,I am delighted to say, that I now no-longer have to consider these possibilities! I am DELIGHTED to be able to know, that Los Angeles is almost 400 miles away, and San Francisco is 750 miles distant!  (According to Messrs. Rand McNalley!)  I have heard it said, that the next time the San Andreas Fault begins to slide, that everything to the east will drop into the Atlantic!  The only good thing about THAT, is that with any luck, Congress will be in session when it happens!  I sincerely hope that should this scenario come to pass, the good Lord will spare all Members of this Forum! Who I sincerely hope, will be able to take themselves and their loved one to a place of safety, together with all their most Fond belongings! (By which I mean all their Remingtons!)
                                                                                             Gunslinger9378
Never make the mistake of thinking I will not shoot..........
Because it may be your very last mistake!

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2017, 12:06:23 PM »
So what the hell are folks supposed to hunt with?

The metal fillings pulled from the teeth of politicians and bureaucrats.  That'd be an alloy consisting of amalgam of mercury, and gold.  Should work fine, once we get the proportions and the casting process down.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline prof marvel

• I don't think I know as much as *you* think I know
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2017, 12:37:20 PM »

So what the hell are folks supposed to hunt with? I would begin challenging that reg right now before the ban goes into effect.

It is the "nose of the camel" technique of legislation  ( also known as "put the critter in the pot and slowly bring it up to boiling).

It is imperative that we understand, "THEY" don't care. It is yet another step in the process to get rid of firearms by gradually banning ammunition and places to shoot.

"THEY" will always have a new and improved excuse to impose yet another limit, and it will always be preceeded by
"it's only reasonable"

yhs
prof marvel
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Percussion Caps, Pins, Needles, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards

Supplier of Useless Advice for All Occasions

Offline echo1

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2017, 01:04:12 AM »
Thanks again for the feed back, I don't intend to reach out much further than 50 yards, and yes Kali is sucking harder and harder...

I was born here when it was a free state, cash & carry. Originally from the SF bay area, we hunted there as kids. I defected to the central valley in '76, ag dirt. Since 2010 (?) there has been a lead ban in "Condor protection areas", monolithic projectiles only. Funny thing is that the condor handlers have been responsible for more of the chicks demises, than any lead poisoning. I'm sure you all have heard about the national lead ban signed by Obummer on his way out the door.

Monolithic bullets are of the same material throughout, bronze or copper. Barnes TSX and Hornady GMX are common examples. Additionally, January 2018, you will need an ammo permit, $25 bucks, can only buy 250 rounds per month total, of multiple calibers, and no internet purchases. You already need a Firearm Safety Certificate ($25 FSC) to buy weapons. But it's only good for 5 years. Some how safe gun handling  changes. It's about the $hake down of legit citizens. There's some C&R exemptions I'm not sure of. Any way, I'm a newbie BP guy, but have been a shooter, C&R and milsurp collector since there were pickle barrels full. In anticipation of the new regs, I've been going deep with ammo. PAX

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2017, 08:24:10 AM »
see what happens when you are a die hard    republican or democrat?

NEVER EVER VOTE FOR THE PERSON ALREADY IN OFFICE.   gives them too much power

get a grass roots in your district to vote in only people that are firearm friendly and rescind some of the stupid regulations   or at least modify them where lead is ok for antique bp

do bow hunters and anglers have to have special permits?  are they regulated to X number of arrows or lures they can buy.

The cure   starts with YOU

ask your self honestly   has anything actually been better whether Repub or Dems were in control?
and if they are both in favor of improving something, why isn't it?

Most of them now agree Obamacare is going to crash and burn, but they still fight among themselves
Obamacare was never about lowering an individuals health care cost.
The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps.
General Alexander A. Vandergrift, USMC
to the Senate Naval Affairs Committee, 5 May 1946
------------
Marines Birthday  11/10/1775
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Offline Gunslinger9378

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Some will...some won't....But I do!
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2017, 09:11:11 AM »
Dear Echo-1,
             I had a Remington Carbine for a very short while, I too took  to wearing a bandana over my face when shooting itI I also decided that it did not pack a big enough punch, to risk only Wounding a deer, and having the poor crittur hobble away to die a painfull and slow death,  So I was delighted when a fellow member expressed an interest in buying it from me!  I have NO IDEA what my Medical Examiner's Special Load would get out of the Carbine's barrel.,,,.  I strongly suspect it would still not fast enough to make it a reliable Killer!  Also I also suspect that even if one got to the point, where one could reliaibly hit a  Quarter at fifty yards,
if one was aiming at a living creature, "Buck Fever," might set in, and the deer only be wounded! 
            For Hunting in the woods, where close shots are most often presented, I would still prefer to have either a .50 , or even a .54 caliber rifle!  THen even if you did not get a,"One shot Kill," the chances that the blood trail would give you a better chance to follow up on the animal, and get your meat for the Winter!  There is a saying about, Not sending a boy to do a Man's Job!  I would respectfully suggest that when hiunting an animal, be sure to, "Take Enough Gun!" When I hunted Kangaroo i Western Australia,I used a Lever Action Uberti Replica of the Winchester '73. My handloads chronographed out at 1,600 fps. frpm the 24" barrell.  This load would reliably "Anchor" a Roo, giving one time to reach the animal and give it a, "Mercy Shot."  My friend, Sandy Protchard, had a similar rifle, only his was the carbine. His load was in the 2000 fps.range, but it usually needed at least two shots to reliably "anchor," the animal!   The late, Great, Elmer keith, always said that the bigger the bullet you hit the animal with, the better your chances would be of, "Harvesting the Animal!"   Sandy Pritchard and I hunted together quite a lot, and very often, his ":"Kill's," needed "Follow Up," shots to kill them. (Sandy's Load was a 158 grain slug,(Semi Wadcutter.) at slightly over 2000 fps.)  It was highly accurate in his Carbine, but lacked the size and the weight to reilably, "Anchor" an animal the size of aan Adult Kangaroo!
            So if I were you, I'd not use the Remington Carbine to hunt for a deer this Fall!  If you place your shot well, a Good .50 Caliber should, "Do You Right!" (As they say, "Down Uder!)

Gunslinger9378.
Never make the mistake of thinking I will not shoot..........
Because it may be your very last mistake!