Author Topic: The problem with shooting conical bullets  (Read 1465 times)

Offline rodwha

Re: The problem with shooting conical bullets
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2017, 10:15:07 AM »
My Pietta Remington NMA and my ROA, which uses a .45 Colt Blackhawk barrel are 1:16.
"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Offline WECSOG

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2018, 09:40:43 PM »
Modern .45's are usually either 1:10 or 1:16 with the norm being 1:10.
I'm curious as to where you have found any .45 with a 1:10" twist. 1:16" is the norm; even Glock .45s are 1:15.75".

Offline rodwha

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2018, 09:48:42 PM »
Can’t say I’ve seen 1:10” with modern stuff and some of these repros having 1:16 and others, meant for a ball, being slower with something like a 1:30”.
"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Offline Racing

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2018, 02:26:28 PM »
As we´re into it,i believe i´ve never seen the twist of the original referenced?
Yeeeeees...i know they use a progressive twist,but that could be referenced as well couldn´t it?

As for shooting the originals i can attest to that they honestly don´t seem to care all that much what you throw at ´em.

Funny bit with that is that the "precision" guys around here (ya know..that might as well be throwing darts) insist on that heavy charges will somehow magically destroy the gun.
Why that is,i have NO idea what so ever but basically anything beyond 22 grains is frowned upon. Yeah well,whatever... I shoot mine as i see ´em and call ´em...nuff said.

Better late then never i guess but i´ve even finally picked up a keg of T7 for the snubbie. Basically based on NE´s findings,and of course i´ll chrono that one as well when we get there.
Main point of mine there is how well that thing will shoot with Kaidos...that remains to be seen!

What´s more i´ve figured out i need to swap to IR sensor for my chrono... getting up close and dirty at that thing with a boomstick,as in vs a modern gun,weeeeell..it simply isn´t all to fond of the spit n smoke i guess. Erratic readings here i come.. ->i

Anyways.
Modern guns.
Yeah. The more contemporary CZ´s and what not i´ve owned,most of them have been around the 12-16 twist mark.

Speaking of which.
That Chassepot in 45 cal i´m trying to build into a long hauler,it sports a 1:22...and let me put it this way,that´s what i´ve got to work with.
Guess it could always out of pure chance be changed into like..1:14 or 1:16,but that would render... hen n egg? Ie; there´s been quite a few successful designs on the slow twist scene..and of course these are normally designed to WORK with slower twist.
In fact,1:22 isn´t all that slow a twist for a original BP longarm....
Postell seems to be what most use though so apart from the "mediocre" LEE 459-405HB i guess i need to pick one of Lymans fabled Postell ones up as well.
As always,proof is in the pudding..
DVC - 2018