1858 remington forum

Author Topic: Old R&S  (Read 4207 times)

Offline Old and grumpy

Re: Old R&S
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2017, 06:29:09 PM »
Thanks. I'm in love.

Would it be a sin to shorten the barrel to the latch? {:(     She is a BIG girl.  Makes my Ruger BlackHawk feel slim.
Occupied California.Pray for us.----- Proudly Deplorable. Proudly not deportable.

Offline prof marvel

• I don't think I know as much as *you* think I know
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2017, 11:52:36 PM »
Thanks. I'm in love.

Would it be a sin to shorten the barrel to the latch? {:(     She is a BIG girl.  Makes my Ruger BlackHawk feel slim.

Well, they aren't making them anymore.... but she's yours so you decide.
I got a "parts gun" R&S, still putting it together, and I found a remmy barrel fits, but not sure whether pietta or uberti yet....
yhs
prof marvel
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Percussion Caps, Pins, Needles, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards

Supplier of Useless Advice for All Occasions

Offline Gunslinger9378

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Some will...some won't....But I do!
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2017, 10:13:53 AM »
Dear Friends,
            I have always cnsidered the Rogers & Spencer to be an excallent revlver!  It hasn't got quite the pleasing lines of the Remington, buut it was very well designed,  The ONLY drawback as far as I am concerned, is that it is in effect a FIVE shooter, as the Cylinder has no prvision for a safety notch, so it HAS t be carried with the hammer resting on an UN-CAPPED chamber!
            The Revolver got excellent rating from MIke Cumpston & Johnny Bates, in their book, "Percussion Revolvers,  a guide to their History, Performance and use.
            Ihave never handled one, so I cannot say if it would be possible to cut a  safety notch between two of the Nipple recesses!  It is certainly not something I would want to undertake.  I am not THAT GOOD with Metalworking Tools!   Also, since they would seem to be a rarity, it would be a sin to mess up an existing one!  So it would not be an option for Self Defense!  UNLESS a very fine hole was drilled through the frame, just under the rear sight, and a fine steel pin were placed through the hle to block the hammer!
            I think that the hle would also have to be drilled through the Hammer also, so that the tension placed on the pin, by the hammer spring, would hold the hammer an 1/8th of an inch off the cap!  This at least would make it possible to carry it with all six chambers loaded.  The tiny hole drilled through the top of the frame would not be noticeable, and if the pin had a small loop fashioned into the  end , it could perhaps be fastened with a piece of Guitar string to the holster, so that when the gun was drawn, it would slip out of the frame, and be replaced when the emergency had passed  That way one could still get the revolver,
"Into Action," without delay Ns the pin replaced at ones leisure>  If it was fired at an Ill Tempered Boar for example, the weapon could then be safely re-holstered  with the hammer   resting on a fired chamber!  I re-iterrate that I have never handled one of these excellent revolvers, so I cannot say how convenient it would be to use such an arrangement.  If for example the hole through the frame was angled in such a way, that the drawing of the revolver from the holster would in itself dis-engage the pin?
 The hole could be made very fine, so that it was almost un-noteicable.  The pin could be as fie as Piano WIre.  Of course this could only be done with a clear conscience, if the weapon being thus altered was a Reproduction.  To treat an original thataway would definitely come under the heading of a SIN!
                                                                                         Gunslinger9378.           
Never make the mistake of thinking I will not shoot..........
Because it may be your very last mistake!

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2017, 11:23:09 AM »
Sorry, I like new ideas but that one strikes me as just plain nuts.
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".   
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline Gunslinger9378

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Some will...some won't....But I do!
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2017, 04:06:52 PM »
Dear G-Dog,
            You are of course fully entitled to your opinion. They laughed at R J Mitchell too. The idea would work, but of course if one owned both an R&S AND  Remington, one would not need t carry the R & S!    The Remington is as accurate, and does not as far as I am aware, have ANY idiosyncrasies in it's makeup!  To me the Remington is the PERFECT PERCUSSION REVOLVER!    As the old traditional English Song Goes, "And this is law, I will maintain until my dying day, Sir, and whatsoever King may reign, I'll still be the Vicar of Bray, Sir!
            The good Vicar was quite definitely a man who Ran with the Hare, and ran with the Hounds!
                                                                                        Gunslinger9378.
Never make the mistake of thinking I will not shoot..........
Because it may be your very last mistake!

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2017, 05:36:04 PM »
Good point, Johnnie.  The Spitfire was an iconic aircraft and they should not have laughed.  The Luftwaffe did not find it funny in the least.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 05:42:03 PM by G Dog »
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".   

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2017, 10:53:01 AM »
One shot won't make a difference. And if you think it will, carry a backup with another 5 instead.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2017, 11:50:23 AM »
drilling the hole would be sacrilege  in an original.
also  I see no feasible way of attaching a cord to the pin and the  holster so it is drawn out while drawing the gun.
If the hole is drilled down from top of frame, the cord would just get tighter while drawing the gun
if the hole for the pin was drilled into the gun from the side then same thing. upward pull  would
pull down on pin, binding it against the hole not removing it.

no  Johnnies idea there won't work.  the pin would have to be manually removed first.
The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps.
General Alexander A. Vandergrift, USMC
to the Senate Naval Affairs Committee, 5 May 1946
------------
Marines Birthday  11/10/1775
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Offline B. P. Roscoe

« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2017, 06:48:02 PM »
She ate, just buy a modern firearm and be done with it.  You can get a used one cheap enough for any budget.  Don't tote a BP roscoe for self defense.
Death to any and all who would bring war against my country...
www.rjgeib.com/thoughts/sherman/sherman-to-burn-atlanta.html

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2017, 10:11:05 PM »
She ate, just buy a modern firearm and be done with it.

Well, yea.  Ya think?  Johnnie has been hearing that from everybody here for years.  He’s married to his three Pietta Rem 5.5” .44’s (the triplets ::)) and that’s it, three of a kind, period, full stop and finis.   History came to a close right after he got those.  It would be far easier to move a mountain than to try to change Johnnie in his ways. 

Great model of gun though, but honestly, for modern daily carry (?), I can’t even.

Offline necessaryevil

« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2017, 03:07:27 AM »
In that video he actually shot a higher score with the ORIGINAL than the very expensive Pedersoli match repo. Says an awful lot for the quality of design and manufacture in the mid 1800's.