1858 remington forum

Author Topic: Holster Re-purpose  (Read 2054 times)

Offline B. P. Roscoe

Holster Re-purpose
« on: March 05, 2017, 01:06:21 PM »
Here are pictures of a generic holster I got as part of a gun deal.  The holster fit everything, but nothing.

With a little trimming and re-stitching, and a more period correct brass stud (instead of a snap fastener), it now fits my Rogers & Spencer like it was made for it.
Death to any and all who would bring war against my country...
www.rjgeib.com/thoughts/sherman/sherman-to-burn-atlanta.html

Offline Gunslinger9378

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Some will...some won't....But I do!
Re: Holster Re-purpose
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 04:14:53 PM »
Dear Roscoe,
            The Rogers & Spencer is an excellent revolver. Second only to the Remington.  It got excellent rating from Messrs Cumpston & Bates for both accuracy, reliability and overall function.  The only thing I don't like is that there is no provision for resting the hammer in a safe place, so it can safely be safely carried with six beans in the hull!   I suspect, (Never having handled one?) that it might be possible to create a safety notch between two of the nipple recesses, and thus make a a true six Shooter.,  Never having actually handled one I can only surmise? Quien Sabe?

Johnnie Roper, Alias: Gunslinger9378.           
Never make the mistake of thinking I will not shoot..........
Because it may be your very last mistake!

Offline B. P. Roscoe

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 06:04:31 PM »
Quien Sabe?

Only el Shadow.

Offline Old and grumpy

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 08:48:49 PM »
Thanks for the pics. Because the R&S was never issued in 1865 and put in storage until 1901 was there ever a  government holster? Would like to see the fit. The CS holster that came with mine was made to fit the Ruger Old Army. It fits but would need
trimming  to be right. Just a little big.
----
As for the  safety notch between two of the nipple recesses It should be possible. Would only do one. The depth and shape of the pocket the nipple sits in is shaped to blast the dirt away from the hand slot. Would not want to mess that up. It looks like this keeps the guts much cleaner than other C&B.
Occupied California.Pray for us.----- Proudly Deplorable. Proudly not deportable.

Offline Gunslinger9378

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 03:21:03 PM »
Dear Roscoe,
            I know very little Spanish, even though I have lived in Arizona for some years now.Quien Sabe is Spanish for, "Who Knows."
One of the first two phrases I learned was when I was with the Sandoval Sheriff's Dept,1981/82! No se Movea!= Don't Move! &
Manos Ariba! = Hand's Up.  Then there is," Lociento Mucho."  Very sorry. and, A donde esta el Banyo.= Where is the bathroom!
Muy Importante, Very important! Yo no se -I don't Know,
            It is quite an easy language to learn.  At lest I found it so. I was taught French at school, and even thought I lived in France for about a year, (Three four month vacations, riding herd on Parisien Would Be Cowboys, at the Ranch de la Pommerai. Ranch of the Apple Orchard.) I still didn't really ever get a handle on the language.  I never learned to THINK in French. It was quite  shock to hear a Colt .45, called,(Phnonrtically! A Coolt Quyarent Cinque!
            I got so Fed Up with England in 1974, I quit and emigrated to Australia. They speak English (?) Down Under,but with different names for different activiies, For example if a guy (Bloke!) suggests to you that you have a few cans of beer with him, he'll say something like, "Lets go crack a few Tubes ,Mate!"  Describing a man who was born and bred in Australia, he'll say, "Old Joe's a real Dinky-Die Aussie!"  Newcomer Englishmen are, "Bloody Poms!"  Took me about three months before I could tell whether they were joking with me, or trying to insult me!!!  Mostly they were testing me out to see whch way I'd Take it!
                                                                                              Gunslinger9378.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 05:38:52 PM by Gunslinger9378 »

Offline BOOMSTICK BRUCE

• I said I never had much use for a rifle, never said I couldn't use it...
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • SASS #105711
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 07:05:30 PM »

The Rogers & Spencer is an excellent revolver. Second only to the Remington. 

i beg to differ, third to the remington.. first being the ROA...
l
l _______
 /l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)-o--)_)
JEEP OWNER!

Offline Gunslinger9378

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2017, 05:49:55 PM »
Dear Bruce,
            When I neglcted to mention the Ruger Revolver, it was because I confine my remarks on the Forum to weapns that were in use during the era of the War of Northern Aggression!  I believe the Ruger to be a fine and reliaible revolver, but I confine my interests chiefly to reproductions of guns that the Pioneers would have carried when forging this country out of what was  Beautiful Wilderness.  I have handled a Ruger, and it seemed very solid, and from what you and others have said of it, I have no doubt it is a fine piece of work.  However it does not have any HISTORY behind it, and I am an Amateur Historian!  I like to know I am carrying a piece similar in almost every respect to one that a man might have carried Westward on his hip in say, 1869!(He would most probably have been a Confederate soldier, escaping rom the indignities of,"Reconstruction!"
                                                                                             Gunslinger9378.

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2017, 06:00:57 PM »
Dear Roscoe,
            I know very little Spanish,
                                                                                                        Gunslinger9378.

Hi Johnnie, all the Mex ya really need to know is:  Sal del auto, ahora. Manos arriba!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 06:06:10 PM by G Dog »
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".   
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline Gunslinger9378

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2017, 04:15:07 PM »
Dear G-Dog,
            That reminds me of the joke: What do you call a Mexican Driving a Rolls Royce! Answer: Grand Theft Auto!
                                                                                        Gunslinger9378.

Offline B. P. Roscoe

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2017, 06:50:22 PM »
Dear Bruce,
            When I neglcted to mention the Ruger Revolver, it was because I confine my remarks on the Forum to weapns that were in use during the era of the War of Northern Aggression!  I believe the Ruger to be a fine and reliaible revolver, but I confine my interests chiefly to reproductions of guns that the Pioneers would have carried when forging this country out of what was  Beautiful Wilderness.  I have handled a Ruger, and it seemed very solid, and from what you and others have said of it, I have no doubt it is a fine piece of work.  However it does not have any HISTORY behind it, and I am an Amateur Historian!  I like to know I am carrying a piece similar in almost every respect to one that a man might have carried Westward on his hip in say, 1869!(He would most probably have been a Confederate soldier, escaping rom the indignities of,"Reconstruction!"
                                                                                             Gunslinger9378.

The "War of Northern Aggression"???  Around these parts that is referred to as the "War O'Southern Treason".   ;)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 09:39:34 PM by B. P. Roscoe »