Author Topic: Cross Draw, Butt Forward?  (Read 6739 times)

Offline BlackpowderJim

Cross Draw, Butt Forward?
« on: March 02, 2017, 05:24:35 PM »
I know that the standard military holster was worn butt forward on the right hip; the left hand cross-drew the pistol while the right hand took care of the sabre hanging on the left hip. So before I pull the trigger and buy a new holster for my 58 smoker, does anyone have any preference for either a cross draw butt forward or straight draw butt backward? I am right handed and do not intend to carry a sabre so I am leaning towards a holster on the left hip, butt forward so that I can cross-draw with my right hand...to hell with military custom. Looking for any pros and cons.

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Re: Cross Draw, Butt Forward?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 05:47:41 PM »
I almost always carry my smokewagons on the left, for a right-handed cross draw.  However, I don't wear it on the left "side", but more on the left front.  The butt of the gun would somewhere near the center then.  I think "Angel Eyes" carried that way in the movie The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline HAWKEN50

• God made man. Sam Colt made them equal.
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 05:55:16 PM »
 ])M  I usually wear cross draw on the left side. That way i can access the weepon with either hand.
By God its been one hell of a ride.
 Lifes too short to bother with idiots or cheap whiskey.

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 06:38:51 PM »
so many people today are righthanded.  some naturally and some of us old pharts, because our teachers smacked us on the hand if we tried to use the left hand for penmanship.

So some of us became ambidextrous, but with the right more dominant.

as to the best position for you, hopefully there is a sporting goods store close by so you can try different ones.
Just hold it at your belt, angle it or straight up and down, on the hip or closer to belly. Find which way you like best.  Then look for a holster that meets those ideals.
I made myself an ambidextrous holster a few years ago.  I can wear it on either hip and have the gun butt face forward or back on either side. My preference is left hip butt forward.
The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps.
General Alexander A. Vandergrift, USMC
to the Senate Naval Affairs Committee, 5 May 1946
------------
Marines Birthday  11/10/1775
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 06:51:26 PM »
I almost always carry my smokewagons on the left, for a right-handed cross draw.  However, I don't wear it on the left "side", but more on the left front.  The butt of the gun would somewhere near the center then.  I think "Angel Eyes" carried that way in the movie The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

This is how a cross draw should be worn. It should have a natural forward cant so it will stay in the canted position.

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline Bishop Creek

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 08:31:47 PM »
Hawg's right. An examination of photos and drawings from the Old West period shows that a lot of Cowpokes and Indian scouts carried their pistols that way.

Offline mike116

• Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2017, 08:39:24 PM »
Most people wear the crossdraw too far rearward.  The photo hawg posted show the correct way to carry crossdraw.   You should not have to reach to your hip to draw or holster your gun.    The standard angle for crossdraw is 22 degrees.   When sitting or riding a horse the holster should ride as if it were sitting in your lap just off center to one side.

Offline BlackpowderJim

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2017, 11:13:03 PM »
Good info! Love that deep hand tooled holster rig Hawg posted. How do you get the holster to stay in that position? Most holsters just have a flap that hangs over the belt keeping the gun in a perpendicular position.

Offline prof marvel

• I don't think I know as much as *you* think I know
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2017, 01:12:13 AM »
When wearing one pistol, I follow Hawgs method . In an auto it is even easier to access than a shoulder holster, but less concealable.

whilst wearing two, I use "crossdraw butt-forward" as preferred by Bill Hickok:

and here is an illustration of how to draw them:

yhs
prof marvel
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 01:18:04 AM by prof marvel »
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Percussion Caps, Pins, Needles, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards

Supplier of Useless Advice for All Occasions

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2017, 01:13:04 AM »
How do you get the holster to stay in that position? Most holsters just have a flap that hangs over the belt keeping the gun in a perpendicular position.

It's the way the loop is cut and sewn. A cross draw holster won't hang straight if you try to make it do it.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline prof marvel

• I don't think I know as much as *you* think I know
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2017, 01:21:42 AM »
How do you get the holster to stay in that position? Most holsters just have a flap that hangs over the belt keeping the gun in a perpendicular position.

It's the way the loop is cut and sewn. A cross draw holster won't hang straight if you try to make it do it.

What Hawg said - here is a photo of the backside of an extreme example:

prf mvl
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Percussion Caps, Pins, Needles, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards

Supplier of Useless Advice for All Occasions

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2017, 11:38:49 AM »
I'm right handed. I can't shoot left handed. My holsters are all over my belt as long as I use my right hand.
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2017, 03:42:02 PM »

This is how a cross draw should be worn. It should have a natural forward cant so it will stay in the canted position.

That's what I'm talkin' 'bout, right there.  You can walk, climb, sit, whatever, and the pistol's not in the way of your left leg, and the gun's in easy reach.  I got a cheap "cross draw" holster from Cabela's, and it sits just like that.  I added the hammer thong for safety, using some leather boot lace-- Just the ticket.

Mike116 could do a lot better though, so if you want the bee's knees then talk to him.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline Gunslinger9378

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Some will...some won't....But I do!
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2017, 08:34:59 PM »
Dear Blackhawk,
            Both Hawg, &  Professor Marvel are right on the money.  The Butts Forward draw is the only practical way to draw a long barreled revolver.  Worn on the strong side with the butt to the rear, you'll be scratching yourself in the armpit before the muzzle clears the top of the holster!!!  However, with the Gun or Guns worn butts forward, there are TWO advantages. #1, with two guns, you can get to BOTH guns with either hand, and #2 two, a long barrelled gun cab be drawn very comfortably with the Twist Draw!  Some years ago,I was doing a Photo Shoot for a Magazine, for an article I had written about Hickok, and I thought I had better try that type of draw from a sash I had.  My sash was a woven Woolen one, and didn't work very well, for it was kinda stretchy!  But if you only drew the guns once, it was okay!  I was very surprised at how smoothly and readily the guns came to hand.  I almost bought a silk Sash on the strength of what happened that afternoon!!!  Wild Bill DEFINITELY knew what he was doing!!!  I was carrying my twins on Horseback a lot in them thar Days, and I feared I might be foolish enough to carry them thataway on horseback, and lose one of them.  So I shitcanned that idea!
                                                                        Gunsliger9378.
Never make the mistake of thinking I will not shoot..........
Because it may be your very last mistake!

Offline Classanr

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • BP, the original bug chaser!
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2017, 11:08:25 PM »
There are breakaway holsters for long-barreled riftols:

How to make one yourself, Johnnie:

http://www.instructables.com/file/F5SL5UVI1NUO9BX/

The originator is purported to be one Al Furstnow who built a shoulder holster rig.  Sometimes called the "Skeleton Holster Rig", it depended on a leather-covered spring to grip around the cylinder, and a small pocket at the muzzle.  One simply yanked the pistol directly out the holster, not much lifting required at all.

Modern replicas seem to be going by the nomenclature "Tombstone Speed Rig"
Buffalo Arms sells one:

There is the Mare's Leg Holster, which does not depend on a top strap, but uses a hook on which the rifle is hung:

Here is the 1958 rig used in Dead Or Alive.  Note that the lower band is spring loaded so that only a minimum of lift is required (get it off the hook, then flip the barrel up).

Steam-punked version (still with the hook).

Jim Beam me, Scotty!  Life here is more intelligent than I.