Author Topic: Wanting To Make A Holster, What Tools Are Needed? And Where To Get Leather?  (Read 1676 times)

Offline blackpowderben

Hello,
I've been wanting to make holsters for a while now, and am finally pursuing that idea. I'd like to start off making one for a 1851 Navy.
What would be a bare minimum of tools needed to make a holster for someone like me starting off?
Also, what is a good source of leather?
Thanks!
When you have to shoot, shoot! Don't talk

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Mike116 is one of the pros on that subject, hereabouts.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
well a pattern to work from would be good.
a couple very sharp razor knives    I use a regular utility knife for all my rough cuts.
 the kind you buy at any hardware store, where the blade slides in and out.

A wooden rolling pin, I use this to smooth down the nap on the coarse side as needed

A stitching pony is handy but you can substitute a bench vice if needed  just pad the jaws well

A couple stitching awls.   maybe 4     2 round point    2 leather point, as you will lose, bend, break them.

Some stitching needles   many of these have extra large eyes and blunt points.   you use the awl to make the holes first, then stitch.
You can use any heavy thread you want, but I would suggest a bonded nylon upholstery thread in at least #207 sizing.

from Walmart a large white polyeurathane cutting board.   cut your leather on this, also makes a good backer when stamping too.
maybe a few pinch clamps from Harbor freight

a hard wood dowel or such for burnishing the edges

this would be the minimum
expect Mike 116  to jump in here too.
The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps.
General Alexander A. Vandergrift, USMC
to the Senate Naval Affairs Committee, 5 May 1946
------------
Marines Birthday  11/10/1775
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Offline B. P. Roscoe

Here is an excellent video on the subject:

Death to any and all who would bring war against my country...
www.rjgeib.com/thoughts/sherman/sherman-to-burn-atlanta.html

Offline mike116

• Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.com
DD pretty much covered tools and materials.   When hand sewing I use nylon or linen waxed thread.   I wax the thread with a block of beeswax.   
I am a horrible teacher and usually don't attempt to explain how to do things.   The video posted by roscoe shows the basics.   Don't pay much attention to the tooling instructions,  just the holster building parts.   
When making patterns be sure to leave enough room.  Remember, the sewn seam defines the pocket size not the edge of the leather.

I have a PDF file that is a good tutorial on holster making.   It only features one style but the pattern making part is very good.  The file is too big to attach here but I can email it to anyone who wants it.  Just PM me your email address.    Other wise just follow the tutorial RD did in the Community Holster Project and watch those YouTube vidoes.

Offline mike116

• Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.com
DD sells smaller pieces of tooling leather by the square foot.  That's the best way to go for a single holster.   Ebay also has sellers with small pieces.   

Offline blackpowderben

Thank you all!! I bought the tools that DD recommended, and watched the video. Which was very helpful by the way.
I was at my local Hobby Lobby today, they had 6-8 oz leather, supposedly it's 8"-12" by 4'-5' long for $35, not sure how uniform in size it is though. Would that work?
When you have to shoot, shoot! Don't talk

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
no leather you buy is going to be perfectly uniform in thickness.
if as you are working it you feel an area is too  thick you can "skiv" it down
a long sharp blade   a wide stiff dry walling putty knife will work, just draw the blade towards you
and "skiv" the thick area.
actually a fair price for hobby lobby      using 12" w x 60"l  =  5 square ft  approximately  $7 per square ft.

We are assuming it is vegetable tanned leather since they (HL) claims it is for holsters.
I normally sell the same for about the same price
The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps.
General Alexander A. Vandergrift, USMC
to the Senate Naval Affairs Committee, 5 May 1946
------------
Marines Birthday  11/10/1775
USA birthday  7/4/1776