1858 remington forum

Author Topic: Danish Rolling Block carbine  (Read 3909 times)

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Re: Danish Rolling Block carbine
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2015, 01:45:48 PM »
I have been doing some gentle cleaning of the rifle; the bore looks quite good. I would like to shoot the gun, at least a few times. But the question is.....which of the maybe 5 or so chamberings do I have? I just did a chamber cast, and I am thinking that I have the original Danish round which is 11.4 X 41.5R. Here you can see the chamber cast and the line where the brass ends is right at 1.60 which would be correct for that round. Now to trim up some 45-70 brass, anneal it, fire form and load!

Offline Racing

Re: Danish Rolling Block carbine
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2018, 03:24:56 AM »
Hm.
Mazo.
A chamber cast is a good idea and TBH i think you should have a plug made, for instance turned out of aluminium, to be able to insert into the chamber and "poke around".

Reason is simple. These guns were let out as surplus back in the day and here in Sweden alone (they were used by our armed forces too) the amount of rechamberings done is staggering.
What i´m saying is..all bets are off.

If you in this case happend to get a stock gun..good. But my advice is for you to check to be 101% certain. Again, these rifles were considered extremely strong and when let surplus many many of them were rechambered.

Now,from memory only i have a recollection of reading up on one of these guns being tested at a Swedish proof house where they shoved 800 grains of blackpowder down it´s throat and fired the thing!!
Afterwards the gun was checked very closely and..it had basically laughed at the attempt of killing it.

Recently though we had som youngster up north that found one in an outhouse and shoved a modern day powerful smokeless cartridge down its throat, that didn´t end to well...the 24yr old died as it blew up.
DVC - 2018