Author Topic: My new "buddy"  (Read 3033 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
My new "buddy"
« on: November 10, 2016, 12:40:33 PM »
As most of you know, shooting BP in a non-rural setting creates many roadblocks. There aren't many places you can shoot, and the ranges that do allow BP can be expensive, require travel time, and are outdoors so you are limited by regional climate.
Well, I found me an alternative...
Indoor airgun shooting.
My newest "little buddy" is a Browning Buckmark .177 break-action pistol. It launches a .177 pellet at 320fps, fast enough to get the job done yet mild enough for indoor use. The pellets can be captured in a pellet trap and thrown into the lead pot. It's also a very close match to my actual Buckmark .22LR range gun, it looks good, feels marvelous in the hand, is light and fairly easy to cock. But that's not the best part...best part is the price!

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/457721/browning-buck-mark-urx-air-pistol-177-caliber-pellet-black-polymer-grip-blue-barrel

I mean...how can you go wrong?

Meet my new "buddy"....

I think we're gonna get along great!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Re: My new "buddy"
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 01:16:06 PM »
That's a nice lookin' gun! And about the price of the Daisy pistol. I don't have a break-barrel, but do have a pump pistol. Very economical to shoot.

Offline Tom-ADC

• Old Salt
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 01:19:17 PM »
Nice, now if you don't have one maybe a 22 LR version?
US Navy Retired, NRA life member, VFW life member, American Legion, FRA, KofC
Time Magazine person of the year.....2006

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2016, 06:19:13 PM »
Nice, now if you don't have one maybe a 22 LR version?

M__

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 12:46:59 PM »
Not to ramble on, but...
This has been an incredibly uplifting event. I haven't been to the range in months yet I've been "shooting" nearly every day...at a fraction of the cost of even shooting a .22!
I am SO impressed with the quality and handling of this little airgun! This is now the second airgun I own and it allows me the flexibility of staying "in tune" with shooting without having to leave the house or spend wads of money...no CO2 cartridges and pellets are like 5 bucks for 250.  And BP or metallic cartridge range time can now be the frosting on the cake rather than the bread and butter of keeping in top shooter form.
I can't recommend this route enough to those of you who, like me, are "environmentally challenged"!  _l

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 01:24:45 PM »
Do you have a commercial bullet trap? A few years ago I made one for basement pellet gun shooting by hanging newspapers over straightened wire clothes hangers suspended on the top of a cardboard box. Can't get much chea....more frugal than that!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2016, 03:56:57 PM »
Do you have a commercial bullet trap? A few years ago I made one for basement pellet gun shooting by hanging newspapers over straightened wire clothes hangers suspended on the top of a cardboard box. Can't get much chea....more frugal than that!
Yes, I bought one a Bass Pro that works quite nicely, although a cardboard box with foam packing will stop them. Ask me how I know... (^h

Offline jdurand

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Mostly Harmless
    • Company web site
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2016, 07:45:34 PM »
We have a commercial pellet trap for the target pellet gun.  Of course a to be unnamed family member missed the target, shot through the garage door and put a chip in my car.

I added a backboard of 1/2" MDX covered with 1/2" sheetrock, 24" square.  The pellet gun barely dents the MDF and the sheetrock catches the pellet rebounding and keeps it from coming back at the shooter.
Standing on the edge of reality... (me)
Quando omni flunkus moritati (Red Green)
Let no man belong to another that can belong to himself. (Paracelsus)
All things are poison and nothing is without poison; only the dose makes a thing not a poison. (Paracelsus)
NRA Life Member, Gun Owners of California member

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2016, 03:07:07 PM »
I purchased a commercial airgun pellet trap when I bought my rifle, figured it would work well with this also. But I was finding a bunch of ricochets and pellets bouncing out of the trap. I solved it with a super-easy, cheap and pretty much free target setup that works well with this particular air pistol (might not work as well with higher-powered airguns):
A simple FedEx box, stuffed with layers of foam wrap:

I set this in FRONT of the pellet trap, but few pellets have managed to find their way to the back side, and they remain trapped in the box for easy removal (you can throw them in your melting pot). When the front side gets shot out, simply slip a box flap in front of the foam.
The target was downloaded from targetz.com; free targets of your choice you print at home.
Happy shooting!

http://targetz.com/
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 03:21:21 PM by Captainkirk »

Offline Classanr

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • BP, the original bug chaser!
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2016, 03:16:42 PM »
That is pretty much the setup I use for recovering my .25 cal PocketShot ammo.
I have been sternly advised to "shoot that thing outdoors!"
Jim Beam me, Scotty!  Life here is more intelligent than I.

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2016, 04:10:51 PM »
Kirk, since you posted that gun, I have been trying to justify a purchase. Heck, I couldn't, but ordered one anyway! Got it from Pyramyd Air with a 20% off coupon. Should be here about Saturday! {?|

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2016, 04:13:50 PM »
Kirk, since you posted that gun, I have been trying to justify a purchase. Heck, I couldn't, but ordered one anyway! Got it from Pyramyd Air with a 20% off coupon. Should be here about Saturday! {?|
Guns need no justification!
You will really enjoy it, Mazo.

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2016, 07:44:48 PM »
I'm looking for a repeating / semi auto pellet gun  either long barrel  (8 to 12") or a carbine no longer than 20 inches or so over all length.
Either co2  or paintball 8 or 12 gram (?) or the bigger paint ball cartridges.
anybody got some good links let me know.

found several that has one or the other options  but not all. got some varmints around here I want to practice on.
The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps.
General Alexander A. Vandergrift, USMC
to the Senate Naval Affairs Committee, 5 May 1946
------------
Marines Birthday  11/10/1775
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2016, 11:43:33 AM »
My two boys each have one now and they sound like Captain in their enthusiasm over how much they like them and how well they preform.  I ordered one too, from Midway.  It’ll be here early next week.  Life is about to get even cheaper on the local gophers around here. 
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".   
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2016, 10:44:47 AM »
I had ordered mine Monday afternoon, thought it might be here Saturday. Just got notice it was shipped yesterday afternoon, anticipated delivery Tuesday. Oh well, anticipation is half the fun of getting something, especially a gun! {?|