1858 remington forum

Author Topic: Trying to make some lube  (Read 3183 times)

Offline Lead Balls

• 10gr under a .43 paintball for "Civil War Rematch"
Re: Trying to make some lube
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2017, 10:53:26 PM »
I don't think I used any olive oil at all. I used 92 degree (melting temp, also comes in 72 degree) coconut oil, tallow, bees wax, and emulsifying wax, that insures that nothing will seep into the powder, until it melts, and it doesn't melt below 120 degrees, or so, I live in the desert. I can make it melt any way I want, I messed with the same batch until I got it just right. I think I might have used some castor oil, too, but I don't recall. The emulsifying wax, polysorbate 60 bonds it all together so that the softer oils won't sweat out. I used a little bit of tetrasodium EDTA, a preservative I use in my hand made soap, it sequesters metal ions that serve as the catalyst unsaponified oils left in my soap require to turn bad. I assume that applies in my lube, too. If you make your own lube, and want to add a preservative, that stuff is perfect for it. I love it when my hobbies find unexpected ways to intersect in relevant ways! Sometimes they even spin off entirely new hobbies I would never have had any interest in.  I already had everything I used to make the perfect lube, mostly from my soap making supplies. The emulsifying wax I got since my girlfriend wanted lotion, and I could make that out of the same oils I make soap with as well, and tailored to purpose. This sort of thing is so MacGyver!
In my experience, the secret to happiness is a matter of learning to sort the occasional good idea from an endless body of bad ones.