1858 remington forum

Author Topic: Odd Air Rifle/Bow Combo!  (Read 2300 times)

Offline old fogey

• Forum Legend
  • What do you mean "Tax Time Again"?!?
Odd Air Rifle/Bow Combo!
« on: October 10, 2016, 07:48:58 AM »
Seen this oddity over at Midway, and was wondering if anyone here has seen this intriguing bugger "in the flesh", so to speak!?!

A air rifle / crossbow hybrid is somewhat interesting as a concept, must admit!

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Re: Odd Air Rifle/Bow Combo!
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 08:56:12 AM »
nope first I've seen of it.
Wonder how the hunting regs will be written for this.
As in straight bow and cross bow, ratings are given in pounds of pull required to operate the bow.

I wonder how the feather fletchings work?  Is the arrow laid in a track like a cross bow?
it the launcher like a like a steam catapault on a aircraft carrier.
Where a piston is in a barrel and the pressure is built up behind it and a protruding hook catches the nock?  or how.

here's crossmans  website      Crossman owns Benjamin
I will guess it will take about   250 pumps on the special pump to fully charge it, just like in their air rifle
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 09:03:51 AM by DD4lifeusmc »
The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps.
General Alexander A. Vandergrift, USMC
to the Senate Naval Affairs Committee, 5 May 1946
------------
Marines Birthday  11/10/1775
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Offline old fogey

• Forum Legend
  • What do you mean "Tax Time Again"?!?
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 09:49:46 AM »
According to their website reviews, there is a optional dealy-whacker which allows you to charge it from a tank (go to the "Reviews" tab and look at Terry's review at that site)! Being able to charge from a scuba tank would be a whole lot quicker than pumping it I'd think.
                                                                                     Guess that I'm kinda slow finding this oddity (looks like quite a few other folks have already checked it out pretty well, judging from these boob-tube video clips - guy took a buffalo with one- yep a buffalo)!!! Damn.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 10:28:47 AM by old fogey »

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 11:40:35 AM »
According to their website reviews, there is a optional dealy-whacker which allows you to charge it from a tank (go to the "Reviews" tab and look at Terry's review at that site)! Being able to charge from a scuba tank would be a whole lot quicker than pumping it I'd think.
                                                                                     Guess that I'm kinda slow finding this oddity (looks like quite a few other folks have already checked it out pretty well, judging from these boob-tube video clips - guy took a buffalo with one- yep a buffalo)!!! Damn.
yep most all PCP (pre charged pneumatic) can be charged from a scuba tank type setup  .
they do make an co2  adapter but it's not very popular.
------------
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Offline prof marvel

• I don't think I know as much as *you* think I know
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2016, 01:11:58 PM »
Greetings My Good Netizens -

yes indeed fogey, "very odd"

Whilst I am always intrigued gadgetry and techo-crap, I am saddened at yet another incursion into "primitive seasons" .

Primitive seasons, ie first "traditional bow archery", then muzzleloader season , have been under constant attack by techno-crap. The intent had originally been to give those passionate about the "old ways" to have a half-a-chance at hunting without having to compete with tens of thousands of city morons drunken with magnum-itis and blackberry brandy thrashing about in what is left of public land.

"Primitive season" is no longer primitive, having been invaded by bolt action inlines shooting hypervelocity subcaliber sabots, crossbows needing cranks and levers, and now this crap.

sorry for the rant. Between this crap, drunks armed with XX supermagnums using their rifle scopes instead of binocs to "look at me" , and the lack of public hunting lands, I finally quit hunting.

yhs
prof marvel
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Percussion Caps, Pins, Needles, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards

Supplier of Useless Advice for All Occasions

Offline jdurand

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Mostly Harmless
    • Company web site
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2016, 06:12:47 PM »
I wouldn't think CO2 would be high enough pressure.  I have a 5# tank of liquid CO2 here and it runs around 700psi depending on temperature.  If left in the sun it can go up to a couple of thousand.

So, low pressure if out of the sun, just about right if in full sun.  Seems pretty unreliable for a power source.  My ancient Crosman 1377 pistol gets to about 1000psi just with the built-in pump on a cold or hot day.

So, I can see why CO2 wouldn't be a popular option.
Standing on the edge of reality... (me)
Quando omni flunkus moritati (Red Green)
Let no man belong to another that can belong to himself. (Paracelsus)
All things are poison and nothing is without poison; only the dose makes a thing not a poison. (Paracelsus)
NRA Life Member, Gun Owners of California member

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2016, 07:24:59 PM »
the co2 cartridges are a bit bigger than the standard ones on co2 pistols.  But they are a one shot item.
But in the field with no pump handy  they will work
------------
USA birthday  7/4/1776