1858 remington forum

Author Topic: Wads are expensive, no way!  (Read 8651 times)

Offline Lead Balls

• 10gr under a .43 paintball for "Civil War Rematch"
Wads are expensive, no way!
« on: September 25, 2016, 05:26:45 PM »
Nuts what felt wads cost! No way, I'm way too cheap for that, not when there is a better way. Felt sheets. Check this out, this comes to $20 and some change, and by my math, this will make 1,780 revolver wads @ .45", and 1/8" thick. The sheets come in different sizes and thicknesses. I just need an empty .45 casing to use like a cookie cutter, I'll tap it with a ball peen hammer to make the cut, and drill the primer pocket out so I can push the cut wads out. I'm probably not the first one to think of this, but it doesn't seem to have been brought up lately. And lubing them would be a matter of melting the lube in a pan, and stirring in the wads until they soak it up. As a bonus I can make polishing wheels for my roto-tool out of it, and any size I want. I make all my own gaskets, too, it's faster and cheaper, and I can make them for anything, a trick of the trade you kind of need if you are rebuilding an engine for something they don't make parts for, anymore, and I used to do a lot of those. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FM1812M-Off-White-Felt-36-Wide-x-12-Long-x-1-8-Thick-Med-F-5-from-Duro-Felt-/371727930514?hash=item568cb61492:m:mTOMD_xe22oGOes6IKi6_4g

My only problem now is finding a casing, since I don't have a .45.
In my experience, the secret to happiness is a matter of learning to sort the occasional good idea from an endless body of bad ones.

Offline mike116

• Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.com
Re: Wads are expensive, no way!
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 05:59:36 PM »
You'll need something more durable than a .45 cartridge to cut very many wads from that felt.   There are commercial wad cutting punches available from places like Buffalo Arms or you can get a set of gasket or leather punches in the diameter you need cheaper.   A .45 cartridge will work for a few but as soon as you hit it too hard or tilt it a little it will bend out or shape or the edge will roll over.   The 1/2 inch one from this set   http://www.harborfreight.com/9-piece-hollow-punch-set-3838.html  will work fine.   

I have made my own wads in the past but when I consider the time and PITA to make them I'd rather buy them.   I spend that extra time doing something that is more fun or makes money.    Lately I don't use wads much in my C&B revolvers.  Mostly only in BP cartridges.

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 07:35:21 PM »
Yep,

Nope, a .45 case doesn’t last long and really doesn’t work very well anyway. 

Durafelt and Harbor Freight punches, the chuckable type, work good together. You can lube that felt to your own specs, use dry or just skip them.  Here - that’s how we role on wads.
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".   
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 12:56:41 PM »
Several years ago someone suggested asking for roll end pieces of Duro Felt; I got 2 pieces 26" X 22" for around $6.00. Haven't used them yet as I still have some commercially made wads to use up. You can punch out a BUNCH in half an hour.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 02:22:29 PM »
Go to a thrift store and get an old felt hat for a buck or so, just make sure it's real wool felt. Sometimes you can even get 10X beaver. Those make nce stiff wads.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 03:03:01 PM »
Felt hats, even used ones, around here are quite expensive. I look every time we go to a thrift store (which isn't all that often!). I think a better place to shop is garage/yard sales. Prices in the thrift stores are not cheap! Think shabby chic! That would explain all the Caddie and Lexus cars in the parking lot.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2016, 10:26:02 PM »
I haven't bought one in awhile but the Salvation Army stores sold them for a buck or less. Good Will stores are high.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline Cross Plains Drifter

• Born 100 yrs. late !
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2016, 04:57:21 AM »
Walmart sells big felt butterflies, smiley faces, etc in their craft dept for $1.97 each.......which will punch out 400 wads for $2
many BP supply companies sell punches for making wads........well worth the initial investment.
Democracy is 2 Wolves and a Lamb voting on what's for dinner.....
Liberty is a well armed Lamb !

Offline old fogey

• Forum Legend
  • What do you mean "Tax Time Again"?!?
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2016, 12:39:54 PM »
Me, I'd have problems trusting any felt from Wally-world to be 100% felt (no rayon or polyester crap)! Been through problems of cleaning little hard plastic "beads" melted inside a '51 barrel back in '70's (Dad's '51 - went shooting it with cheap felt wads and it's a pain to get outta yer barrels - them and the "smears")!

Offline Sheriff Langston

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2016, 02:20:35 PM »
Paper mache egg cartons.
Punch 1/2" for a .44, 1 drop olive oil on each side.

Not the foamed plastic. }),

Free as you bought the eggs anyway.
"In this world there's two kinds of people my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."
“Blondie”

Offline Cross Plains Drifter

• Born 100 yrs. late !
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2016, 05:40:23 PM »
Me, I'd have problems trusting any felt from Wally-world to be 100% felt (no rayon or polyester crap)! Been through problems of cleaning little hard plastic "beads" melted inside a '51 barrel back in '70's (Dad's '51 - went shooting it with cheap felt wads and it's a pain to get outta yer barrels - them and the "smears")!

no problems yet with beads etc.......and ive picked several up downrange after firing, basically unchanged.
I clean with "reverse bristles" anyhow so any plastic remnants would be ripped right out.
Democracy is 2 Wolves and a Lamb voting on what's for dinner.....
Liberty is a well armed Lamb !

Offline jdurand

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Mostly Harmless
    • Company web site
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2016, 06:44:41 PM »
People buy eggs?  And they come in cartons?  Ours just come wrapped in poo.  :)
Standing on the edge of reality... (me)
Quando omni flunkus moritati (Red Green)
Let no man belong to another that can belong to himself. (Paracelsus)
All things are poison and nothing is without poison; only the dose makes a thing not a poison. (Paracelsus)
NRA Life Member, Gun Owners of California member

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2016, 07:37:50 PM »
Nix on the Wally World felt.

Offline Sheriff Langston

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2016, 12:54:24 PM »
"Poo wads".
There's a mental image to make me sleep well at night!
 ^y%
"In this world there's two kinds of people my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."
“Blondie”

Offline rfd

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2016, 12:23:47 PM »
i use durofelt 1/8" hard felt, punched out with a cornell .45 press die punch, soaked in melted gato feo lube.  cheap, fast, works great.  (T^