Author Topic: How to damp proof caps ?  (Read 3260 times)

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Re: How to damp proof caps ?
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2016, 08:19:37 AM »
Hey Necessary-

Any update on the gooey percussion caps?

yhs
prof marvel

Good morning my Dear Professor (Spanish time) that is.

YES I have. The Navy Yank has not been fired lately though kept fully loaded. I change the caps on it weekly and have been saving the old caps in a vial for use on the range. However my little baby .31 Remington I have been carrying it around and firing it and I must say reliably. What I did was clean the gun and then stand the cylinder nipples down in a container of cellulose thinners for car paint. Nipples thoroughly degreased and no further problems with RWS 1075 PLUS caps........................So far so good ?
I've left caps on my 58 Remington loaded for a year and no problems with ignition
The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps.
General Alexander A. Vandergrift, USMC
to the Senate Naval Affairs Committee, 5 May 1946
------------
Marines Birthday  11/10/1775
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Offline necessaryevil

Re: How to damp proof caps ?
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2016, 09:54:13 AM »
Hey Necessary-

Any update on the gooey percussion caps?

yhs
prof marvel

Good morning my Dear Professor (Spanish time) that is.

YES I have. The Navy Yank has not been fired lately though kept fully loaded. I change the caps on it weekly and have been saving the old caps in a vial for use on the range. However my little baby .31 Remington I have been carrying it around and firing it and I must say reliably. What I did was clean the gun and then stand the cylinder nipples down in a container of cellulose thinners for car paint. Nipples thoroughly degreased and no further problems with RWS 1075 PLUS caps........................So far so good ?
I've left caps on my 58 Remington loaded for a year and no problems with ignition

Yes and it appears that you were correct in that the cap problem that I had was indeed due to oil residue from the flash holes contaminating the caps, I hadn't considered that. Thanks for the input, problem solved.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 10:04:39 AM by necessaryevil »