1858 remington forum

Author Topic: Metallurgy of the Rogers and Spencer by Euroarms  (Read 4459 times)

Offline sltm1

Re: Metallurgy of the Rogers and Spencer by Euroarms
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2016, 09:25:57 AM »
A safe (and personally used for over 7 years), Unique 7.7g load for 45 cartridges in my R&S.
Life's tough...it's tougher when yer stupid !!

Offline Hewy

• Black Friday
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2016, 11:25:42 AM »
A lot of folks like to point out how the open top revolvers were designed for blk.powder and shooting smokeless cartridges  in conversion cyls for them is "crazy ".  All they had at the time was blk. powder so .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  okay.  Then comes the Root revolver from Colt with a top strap! Still blk.  powder. Then comes Remy and all the other "jump on the top strap band wagon " bunch. Still, blk. powder.  Then , The Mod.73 appears and it's the end all S.A. , all the rest ,  .  .  .  .  .  get in line!! (Still .  .  .  . blk.powder!! For pretty much 20 more yrs.!!). OK, for almost 50 yrs a top strap was "the design " and a "blk.powder " design at that!!

What changed?   The design of the S.A.A. and all its copies are the same design  (inside and outside and obviously still blk.powder) as the Mod. of 1873. The materials  are better sure, and therein is the answer.  The same modern materials are used for the "copies" (open tops included) as the cartridge guns the makers make. So, the modern conversion cylinder is perfectly fine for running  (within the manufacturer's spec.) smokeless loads and reloads in a perfectly fine platform capable of some very impressive results!!
All of which were designed  for  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  . black powder!!.

Don't make it harder than it is. It isn't!!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks
Thank you Mike, excellent point.
Myths become facts, and vis versa.
Hewy
Better to be gettin , than gettin got.

Offline BlackpowderJim

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2016, 10:12:44 AM »
A safe (and personally used for over 7 years), Unique 7.7g load for 45 cartridges in my R&S.
Thanks for the load info. I personally like 6 grains of TiteGroup with a 250 grain bullet, but I will give yours a try.

Offline sltm1

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2016, 10:17:47 PM »
I'm shooting 230 grains.
Life's tough...it's tougher when yer stupid !!