Author Topic: Storage temperature  (Read 1260 times)

Offline Hewy

• Black Friday
Storage temperature
« on: August 24, 2016, 07:47:40 PM »
I normally have kept my powder in dry  cool house temp, as per instructions
on the containers labels : "Store in dry cool place"
For a short time I need to move things around and temporary storage will be inside a dry building,
but it gets hot during the day. Could go up to 100 degrees during the day, maybe briefly a little higher.
Possibly for about a month. September  in Calf can be very hot, but cool after sundown.
Any concerns doing that ?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 08:51:15 AM by Hewy »
Hewy
Better to be gettin , than gettin got.

Offline Hewy

• Black Friday
Re: Storage temperature
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 08:57:48 PM »
Added note some of the powder both Black powder and smokeless , are in original containers
sealed  a couple opened.
I'm not concerned about ignition , just degradation.
Any Marines or Army, first hand knowledge ?
I was in the AirForce so what do I know.....   (o&
Hewy

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 09:26:37 PM »
Hi Hewy -- I keep my powder in original containers tightly capped inside a plastic sealed (twist tie) bag with a couple of desiccant bags thrown in for good measure. Maybe that's overkill, probably is, but I do it anyway.  Cool is good but sealed off from air is essential.  Never had any BP or Subs go bad on me, not even after a long time.
You are at war now; the liberty of your enemies is not an important concern.

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 11:32:02 PM »
 I don't think 100 degrees is near hot enough to worry over.  Humidity would be the only concern, and Gdog seems to have the answer for that.

Offline Dellbert

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 09:16:07 PM »
Hi Hewy. I wondered about that too. You say it gets 100 in the day time what dose the temp get to by night fall My powder has been setting in a room on the floor. Don't worry so much about real black powder, it's the sub powders I'm not so sure about. I had a bottle of pyrodex that had been here for about six years it seemed to work just fine when I loaded it in one of my guns.
If it's not broke don't try fixin it.

Offline Hewy

• Black Friday
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 10:05:39 PM »
Hi Hewy. I wondered about that too. You say it gets 100 in the day time what dose the temp get to by night fall My powder has been setting in a room on the floor. Don't worry so much about real black powder, it's the sub powders I'm not so sure about. I had a bottle of pyrodex that had been here for about six years it seemed to work just fine when I loaded it in one of my guns.
Dellbert, Temps at night during summer in high 70s, now closer to Sept they go down in the 60s.
I was always wondering about product labels that say "store in COOL places" what is cool to them  (^h ?
Cool is a relative term depending on where you are.
Hewy

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2016, 10:32:38 PM »
Maybe they want us to store our powder in a place that is popular with young people, socialites and hipsters, who don't drink alcohol.    (^h

Offline old fogey

• Forum Legend
  • What do you mean "Tax Time Again"?!?
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2016, 07:29:40 AM »
They say that there's a cloud of alcohol (methanol, not ethanol, though there's speculation that it exists as well somewhere - just hasn't been found yet -) rotating around a yet unseen black hole (insert yer favorite wife/neighbor/selfie joke here, something along lines of "Here, hold my beer and watch this",) so somewhere somehow there hasta exist a good spot fer saving powder (perhaps a "vac-u-sealer" like you'd use fer steaks - or better yet, how's about something like this setup - get's rid of the moisture after you open yer powder)!?!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 07:39:06 AM by old fogey »

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2016, 08:51:55 AM »
I have a couple partial cans of powder here (BP)  that I have had since around 1980.
I stocked up back then.
I don't notice any difference in the boom or felt recoil in either the revolver or the rifle.
Guess one would need to fire 50 or so shots of the old and new through a chrono.

But I'm not really worried about it. If it has a good solid BOOM  I'm sure it is fine.

Mine were in storage a couple years when I was moving around the country back in the early 90's.
This was a tin storage shed.  Hot in summer and very cold in winter.
The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps.
General Alexander A. Vandergrift, USMC
to the Senate Naval Affairs Committee, 5 May 1946
------------
Marines Birthday  11/10/1775
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Offline Hewy

• Black Friday
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2016, 08:53:07 AM »
Maybe they want us to store our powder in a place that is popular with young people, socialites and hipsters, who don't drink alcohol.    (^h
Cool man (?^
Hewy

Offline Hewy

• Black Friday
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2016, 09:01:29 AM »
They say that there's a cloud of alcohol (methanol, not ethanol, though there's speculation that it exists as well somewhere - just hasn't been found yet -) rotating around a yet unseen black hole (insert yer favorite wife/neighbor/selfie joke here, something along lines of "Here, hold my beer and watch this",) so somewhere somehow there hasta exist a good spot fer saving powder (perhaps a "vac-u-sealer" like you'd use fer steaks - or better yet, how's about something like this setup - get's rid of the moisture after you open yer powder)!?!
300 billion miles,as John Denver said "Far Out  "
Hewy

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2016, 09:20:03 AM »
Hi Hewy, I don't think that anything other than ignition will affect black powder. The subs and smokeless powder may be a different thing. I know that smokeless powder degrades in time, old WW1&2 cartridges are less powerful than when first loaded. For every 18 degrees F, the rate of change doubles for chemical reactions. Something to consider when storing the subs and smokeless powders. IMO try to keep the subs and smokeless at less than 70 degrees F.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!