Author Topic: Winchester "Magnum" #11  (Read 1685 times)

Offline Lead Balls

• 10gr under a .43 paintball for "Civil War Rematch"
Winchester "Magnum" #11
« on: August 07, 2016, 02:53:30 AM »
I bought 1000 of them from Cabela's, since they were new, and on sale, and I was getting a couple things from them anyway. They are bigger than the Remington #11's, and don't stay on my nipples unless I pinch them first (yes, I know how that sounded). I haven't had a chance to shoot any of them, yet.
In my experience, the secret to happiness is a matter of learning to sort the occasional good idea from an endless body of bad ones.

Offline Classanr

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • BP, the original bug chaser!
Re: Winchester "Magnum" #11
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 09:47:01 AM »
These work great on my 1858 Piettas, fit is just right, but have too much primer in them to fit on my NAA Earl (wont push done far enough to allow the cylinder to turn). I'm probably going to use them on Granddaughter's project Hawken too. My bet is that CCI makes these under the Winchester name (which is owned by Hodgdon). Walmart carries these in New England, $7.95/tin of 100.

Either these are made to different sizes regionally, or your Pietta nipples are sized slightly smaller than mine (or maybe my Pietta nipples are slightly more mushroomed than yours at the top)
Jim Beam me, Scotty!  Life here is more intelligent than I.

Offline Lead Balls

• 10gr under a .43 paintball for "Civil War Rematch"
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 07:22:05 PM »
I have 2 cylinders, and haven't fired 100 rounds through the 2 of them, and I never dry fire on them, I take them out when not in use. That's probably why.
In my experience, the secret to happiness is a matter of learning to sort the occasional good idea from an endless body of bad ones.

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016, 10:27:53 PM »
Over the years it has been noticed that nipple and cap makers don't talk to each other about dimensions.
I've also noticed that #11 caps are made primarily for musket and rifle nipples.
Have also noticed that rifle nipples are a bit more robust in their design and build
with slightly different tapers.
So I have stocked and used  Remington and RWS and CCI caps in #10 and 11 sizes.
and noticed that even on brand new treso #11 nipples all three #11 caps tend to be a tad loose.

Consequently I primarily use #10 on every revolver.  #11 only if I am out of 10's
I don't have a chrono but been shooting these BP revolvers a long time.  I really don't notice any difference in time delay between any of the caps and the detonation of the main charge regardless of the caps used, and not in the felt recoil.
Except for a dud cap now and then, in general shooting I doubt it is going to make one wit of a difference when the projectile strikes the target
The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps.
General Alexander A. Vandergrift, USMC
to the Senate Naval Affairs Committee, 5 May 1946
------------
Marines Birthday  11/10/1775
USA birthday  7/4/1776