Author Topic: Triple Seven Powder  (Read 3660 times)

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Re: Triple Seven Powder
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2017, 09:07:43 PM »
If the primer compound were hygroscopic, then one way to protect it from humidity would be to push it on to a nipple, over a loaded chamber.

If a hygroscopic primer compound will go bad when sitting over a nipple, then surely it would go bad in less time if it were exposed to the open air inside my house, near the kitchen.  And yet I have been known to leave Remington caps sitting in my straight-line capper, hanging on a lanyard over a music stand, completely exposed to inside air, for up to a year, winter, spring, summer, and fall, no air conditioning, on warm, rainy days, while canning and brewing and such in the kitchen, with no ill effects.  Oh and I live 50 yards from a river, so the dew in summer is often impressive.

Thus it is not hygroscopic, or certainly not enough so to matter.  Soak it in water, sure, or hunt in the rain and fail to re-prime for the next day's hunt, or expose it to oil that's in the nipple (and I'll bet that that right there is the common issue) and it's going to fail.

There's nothing special about black powder and percussion caps that makes either one more likely to fail over time than a good metal cartridge, except in the way we clean, maintain, load and store our guns, and we're still seeing a bit of World War Two ammunition, now all over seventy years old and still perfectly good ammo.  I have cans of black powder that are years old, and I have every expectation that the powder is perfect.  Whether in the can with the lid on, or in a gun's chamber with a cap over the nipple and a bullet over the chamber mouth, what's the difference?  It all depends on how you handle the loading, or more importantly, the pre-loading routine,

Offline Cross Plains Drifter

• Born 100 yrs. late !
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2017, 05:35:49 PM »
I must say that once I settled on the charge, 3F T7 powder makes some very accurate .38 Spl & .45 LC BPC loads.
Democracy is 2 Wolves and a Lamb voting on what's for dinner.....
Liberty is a well armed Lamb !

Offline BlackpowderJim

« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2017, 02:16:52 PM »
Great idea! I will load a batch of .44/40's using Trip 7 for my 1875 Remington and see how they work.