Author Topic: Triple Seven Powder  (Read 3661 times)

Offline BlackpowderJim

Triple Seven Powder
« on: August 05, 2016, 03:08:53 PM »
I was going to add this to a previous topic but the banner that appeared said I should start a new one. I read a lot of responses that you should decrease the load by at least 10%. Hell, I just load like normal and everything appears to be fine. There is a slightly stronger "crack" when I load the standard 30 grain in the .44, but the sighting and point of impact is pretty consistent. Anyway, I enjoy this powder because cleanup is a breeze. No fancy solvents, just water...H20 or di- hydrogen oxide does the job. The fouling is easily dealt with and the wife does not scream at me to "take that smelly thing outside." Win/win.  By the way, I got a new 1858 Remington for my wife. I think I got the better bargain.  {?|

Offline jdurand

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Mostly Harmless
    • Company web site
Re: Triple Seven Powder
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 06:18:05 PM »
Is it odd my wife doesn't complain about oil smells?  Then again, as a child she helped her father make smoke sticks and then as an adult cut, bent, and welded steel.
Standing on the edge of reality... (me)
Quando omni flunkus moritati (Red Green)
Let no man belong to another that can belong to himself. (Paracelsus)
All things are poison and nothing is without poison; only the dose makes a thing not a poison. (Paracelsus)
NRA Life Member, Gun Owners of California member

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 08:52:00 PM »
the approximate 10% reduction has nothing to do with safety.
Rather since the powder is a bit more "energetic" to get approximately the same
fps and trajectory and ft# of energy  which are all interdependent on each other
then they recommend the reduction.
But like you I just go ahead and load normally  and haven't really noticed any difference.
Just need to learn how and where your gun shoots with different loads and powders and projectile weights.
The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps.
General Alexander A. Vandergrift, USMC
to the Senate Naval Affairs Committee, 5 May 1946
------------
Marines Birthday  11/10/1775
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2016, 09:30:55 PM »
BP Jim -- Hi. What DD said.

15% actually.  That used to spook me. I didn't want to get blew up. The boys here said na, don’t worry about it and explained T7 properties on that thread you were probably referring to.  I’ll use 30 grains in a .44 anytime now and get fine safe results. 

It’s hot stuff though.  T7 may be the wrong powder to use for experimenting with how much you can cram in.  For a stout load one may rarely exceed 35 grains of anything anyway
You are at war now; the liberty of your enemies is not an important concern.

Offline Prospector

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2016, 09:04:26 AM »
I agree with what DD and G-Dog said.   Unless you want to duplicate the ballistics of a particular load, just use the same measured volume as you would use with black powder or other substitutes.  30 grains of any of it will be fine and safe in any STEEL framed gun.   Now, if you are loading it into a brass framed gun, I would not go over 25 grains, and probably use around 20 grains for my every day loads.  I am assuming that you are talking about a 44 caliber revolver.

Offline BlackpowderJim

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2016, 11:53:54 AM »
@Prospector: Yep, all my BP revolvers are steel frames. I once ordered a fancy nickel plated engraved revolver from Cabelas and found out that it was a brass frame. I sent that puppy back post haste.

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2016, 01:43:48 PM »
Hi Jim, yes T7 is the most energetic propellant that can be used in BP firearms. The only negative I have ever seen for this power is that it is more difficult to ignite than BP and that it may leave a ring of debris in the chamber that is extremely difficult to remove. I have seen reports of it going bad when loaded for an extended period, but my neighbor that kept his 1858 loaded with T7 for over a year had every chamber fire, with authority.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2016, 04:43:30 PM »
... and found out that it was a brass frame. I sent that puppy back post haste.

You did the right thing on that one.  If a particular brasser is historically accurate then well and good.  Otherwise, I'll pass on brass.
You are at war now; the liberty of your enemies is not an important concern.

Offline Hylander

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2016, 12:37:49 PM »
I have been using 777 since it first came out.
Got rid of all other powders.

Online necessaryevil

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2016, 01:29:45 PM »
I love the stuff. it is SO clean and definitely gives more bang for your buck in volume for volume charges the same as 3ffg. Thing is I brought some from the England to Spain this year and I can't buy any more here because it's not available. Otherwise as a dyed in the wool non traditionalist who hates cleaning guns I would not use anything else.

Offline Cross Plains Drifter

• Born 100 yrs. late !
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2016, 07:32:46 PM »
tried T7 several times and between myself and co-workers have experienced several FTFs with Rem &/or CCI caps & 777.
still wondering about the long term effects of citric acid base on gun metal......remember, Pyrodex was origionally advertised as "less corrosive" too.

I'll stick with real black....at least I know what it does and how it shoots......and that it goes BANG w/o fail.

think about this........BP substitutes are called "safety powders" because they're harder to ignite......
Democracy is 2 Wolves and a Lamb voting on what's for dinner.....
Liberty is a well armed Lamb !

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2016, 10:52:18 PM »
No fancy solvents, just water...

In that respect it's just like black powder then.  Water has been the solvent of choice for BP for hundreds of years.

The only negative I have ever seen for this power is that it is more difficult to ignite than BP and that it may leave a ring of debris in the chamber that is extremely difficult to remove.

I get a crud ring with BP too.  I notice it in the 50 cal rifle when swabbing between shots.  It's difficult to get the patch back up from the bottom, past the crud ring, until I've gone past it once or twice with a spit patch.

I haven't used a lot of T7, and mostly I used it in revolvers, but so far it has ignited just fine.  I'd have to shoot a lot more of it to have much of an opinion.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2016, 09:18:49 AM »
I don't use it. I can't justify the cost. I can have Swiss shipped for almost the same amount of money. As far as subs go I like Pyrodex. It may not be less corrosive than black but it's certainly not any more corrosive than black.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline old fogey

• Forum Legend
  • What do you mean "Tax Time Again"?!?
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2016, 05:53:52 PM »
Don't know (hopefully shall find out soon,) 'cause I bought a lb of Triple Se7en out at Gander Mountain (one of the few local places that carry it - percussion guns don't have many fans along the border, no one hardly shoots for "sport" here)!
                                      Basically bought it 'cause I wanted as much "oomph" behind that 240 grain bullet y'alls tired of hearing about (did buy a .451" sizer for them, only have three of my 6 cylinders bored to .4535" to accept those big honking Kaido bullets,) and figured that 777 was the way to get as much impact energy out of them that they could deliver!
                                                     Thinking of starting @ 25 grains, wad (maybe 2 wads at lower 777 amounts,) and bullet, and basically shoot about 6 cylinders from bench-rest at 50', and go up on powder from there (see if any offers significantly better groups than others)!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 06:01:00 PM by old fogey »

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2016, 11:02:45 PM »
I'd be interested, Fogey, in learning the results of your upcoming experiments.