1858 remington forum

Author Topic: Made a trade  (Read 6858 times)

Offline mike116

• Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.com
Made a trade
« on: July 01, 2016, 07:30:47 PM »
I made a double gun rig for an antique/gun dealer I know.   We agreed on a price and when I finished it up and took it down to Denver to deliver it I expected to collect my money and leave happy.   The owner was happy to pay cash or said I could trade for equal value.   I had looked this 1859 Sharps rifle over before and was interested but really wasn't expecting to trade for it.   Long story short,  I brought it home with me.

Armi Sport 1859 Sharps Infantry model.    .54 cal paper cartridge or loose bullet and powder.  30 inch round blued barrel.   Lightly used.

Online Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
Re: Made a trade
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2016, 12:56:33 AM »
Nice rifle, you're going to love it. I do not know if the Armi Sport has a sliding chamber sleeve. I'll leave you to do the research on that. I do know it has a removable breech plate and depending on who used it last it may be a bear to get off but it will come off. Pyrodex does not work well with these and their two 90 degree turns in the firing channel. CCI musket caps won't work well if at all. Pyrodex will work but it's like shooting a flinter with really slow lock time. There is an O ring mod you can do to reduce flash but you have to have the block machined for it. With my IAB 80 grains of powder and a 557-490 ringtail bullet works best. I don't know how much loose powder the Armi Sport will hold but the IAB holds 110 grains with a bullet seated. I think you can get brass cartridges for the Armi Sport but the Pedersoli bullets and cartridges do not work with them. The worst part of owning a Sharp's is cleaning them. It's a time consuming PITA.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline mike116

• Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 07:11:40 AM »
Hi Hawg,  Knew you would some thoughts on this gun.   Yes it does have a sliding chamber sleeve.    The breech block is removable and appears brand new.  Looks like it seals good.  No evidence of erosion or gas cutting on the plate.   I've heard of the O-ring mod.  I would do it if I have to but I'm not a frequent or dedicated enough shooter that I think it will be necessary.   
I have quit using subs almost completely so the Pyrodex ignition problems won't be an issue.   I can buy BP here locally so that's about all I use.
I thought the rifle may have been unfired until I removed the forestock,  there was a little powder residue underneath so I know it was at least fired by a skirmisher or something.   The bore and action look new but the wood is a little dinged and dirty here and there.

Online Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 08:38:26 AM »
I'm not talking about the breech block, I'm talking about the breech face.

Block with face removed.

Don't make the mistake I did and use petroleum based grease on the block. It's a futher mucker to clean off.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2016, 08:43:03 AM »
I used white lithium lubriplate on the sides   easier to clean.

Mike I sent you a PM    I have some bullets here already cast up for this rifle.

Also you can get brass shells for it
The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps.
General Alexander A. Vandergrift, USMC
to the Senate Naval Affairs Committee, 5 May 1946
------------
Marines Birthday  11/10/1775
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Offline mike116

• Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2016, 09:07:54 AM »
I'm not talking about the breech block, I'm talking about the breech face.

Don't make the mistake I did and use petroleum based grease on the block. It's a futher mucker to clean off.

Yeah Hawg I knew what you meant, should have said plate.  Thanks for being sure. The plate is removable from the block.  See....

I use some homemade lube on the block of my cartridge Sharps.  Seems to work well.   I have some Lubriplate white lithium grease I could use too.

Offline Tom-ADC

• Old Salt
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2016, 01:53:16 PM »
Nice Mike, I'd say you did well.
US Navy Retired, NRA life member, VFW life member, American Legion, FRA, KofC
Time Magazine person of the year.....2006

Offline prof marvel

• I don't think I know as much as *you* think I know
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2016, 02:17:48 AM »
Great Trade Mike and welcome to the Sharps Papercutter Club!

I suggest starting with the Xmas Tree Bullets with paper crtridges (the full chamber of loose powder hurts on both ends)
and try some of DD's brass shells. I use both and they are fun!

I have a project in place to fabricate cartridges using 28 ga shells, but I need to fuzz about some more.
Since I am officially retiring this wednesday, I will finally have time to play with these projects and will post pics as I go.

yhs
prof ( pulled the pin on the retirement grenade!) marvel
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Percussion Caps, Pins, Needles, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards

Supplier of Useless Advice for All Occasions

Offline mike116

• Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2016, 07:08:16 AM »
Great Trade Mike and welcome to the Sharps Papercutter Club!

I suggest starting with the Xmas Tree Bullets with paper crtridges (the full chamber of loose powder hurts on both ends)
and try some of DD's brass shells. I use both and they are fun!

I have a project in place to fabricate cartridges using 28 ga shells, but I need to fuzz about some more.
Since I am officially retiring this wednesday, I will finally have time to play with these projects and will post pics as I go.

yhs
prof ( pulled the pin on the retirement grenade!) marvel

Congratulations Prof Marvel.    You have achieved something I fear I never will.... voluntary retirement.
Where do you get the mold or the bullets?    I've been looking around but haven't found a mold yet.   Buffalo Arms is cleaned out of nearly everything I want from them.

Online Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2016, 09:56:25 AM »
I got mine from Moose Molds. A little pricey but a good mold and good folks to deal with. http://moosemoulds.wix.com/mm2013 Just make sure what size bullet you need. I use a 557-490.

Offline mike116

• Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2016, 10:20:26 AM »
Thanks Hawg,  Moose has a good reputation and as I hear it are worth the money.   

Online Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2016, 10:37:37 AM »
Thanks Hawg,  Moose has a good reputation and as I hear it are worth the money.

They're aluminum but heavier than a Lee. I paid 125.00 for mine.

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2016, 11:48:08 AM »
I got a Moose mould for my Smith. as noted, it's aluminum but it is a much higher grade aluminum than the cheap lee's.

I don't stock the brass shells   but they do help reduce the fouling somewhat.
The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps.
General Alexander A. Vandergrift, USMC
to the Senate Naval Affairs Committee, 5 May 1946
------------
Marines Birthday  11/10/1775
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Offline old fogey

• Forum Legend
  • What do you mean "Tax Time Again"?!?
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2016, 01:12:33 PM »
Ain't got a dog in this fight, but fer brass percussion Sharps' cases, you could go here (think Track has them also,); For Smith', you can find some here!

Online Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2016, 01:29:46 PM »
Ain't got a dog in this fight, but fer brass percussion Sharps' cases, you could go here (think Track has them also,); For Smith', you can find some here!

Those won't work in Armi Sport or IAB. I wish they would. Somebody may make them for the ArmiSport but I don't think anybody makes them for IAB.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 01:34:09 PM by Hawg »