Author Topic: cartridge paper  (Read 12854 times)

Offline old fogey

• Forum Legend
  • What do you mean "Tax Time Again"?!?
Re: cartridge paper
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2016, 01:49:37 PM »
Think all you need to do is get enough potassium nitrate dissolved in water to make a strong solution, soak your paper and let dry. If you'd rather not mess with that part there is always the commercial route (i.e., ready made cartridge papers)! Don't know how many cartridges you can make from a 8 1/2" x 11" sheet of paper (did notice that they're charging almost $ 3.00 a sheet fer that flash paper -) but be willing to wager that a body could do it at home far cheaper than they're charging!

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2016, 05:18:44 PM »
You don't really need nitrated paper. Cartridges made from tea bags burn clean. I've used plain old wrapping paper with pretty good results. I don't do pistol cartridges anymore, too much of a PITA but I make Sharp's cartridges out of wrapping paper.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2016, 07:57:52 PM »
Here in the Emerald Triangle we’re awash in ‘smoking supplies’, yea.  I have lots of American Spirit flax rolling papers.  One semi-diagonal cut on the bottom left right left (awash dude)and they be ready to roll them carts.  Instant ignition and they burn off good.  Those fancy-assed really thin rice papers do good too.  And hemp papers and ... no end to it.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 03:05:58 PM by G Dog »
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".   
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline old fogey

• Forum Legend
  • What do you mean "Tax Time Again"?!?
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2016, 04:54:14 PM »
Yeah, but if'n you smoke to many of them hemp papers in yer shooter, in the land of fruits and nuts they might try to git you for shootin whilst impaired (dang, kinda almost hear folks groaning and saying "Corny"!).

Offline Cory_1371

« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2016, 07:38:36 PM »
If you were going to, making nitrate paper isn't hard or expensive at all. However, I will let it be known that I'm not responsible if you try this and hurt yourself. I'm providing this information for instructional purposes only.
Go to Lowe's and purchase spectracide stump remover. It's 100% Potassium Nitrate (KNO₃)  . A pound costs about $6-7.
Go to the store and buy tissue paper in the birthday card/gift section. These two items are all you need aside from a kitchen and a pot and baking pan.

Boil a pot of water on the stove, and saturate it with KNO₃. You know you're good when it stops dissolving and starts collecting on the bottom of the pan. When you reach this point, pour your mixture into a baking pan and start dipping sheets of tissue paper in it. Hang them out to dry, then as soon as they're dry, you can take your pattern and start cutting. Then you have nitrated paper for combustible cartridges.
There's only one thief in the Marine Corps, everyone else is just trying to get their stuff back.

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2016, 10:35:34 PM »
Good Post. Are Potassium Nitrate (KNO₃) fumes OK to be around for a while or is it just water vapor that steams off? 
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".   
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline Cory_1371

« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2016, 11:15:23 PM »
G Dog,
First off, thank you. I'm glad that I can finally contribute something to this forum.

To answer your question:
I have never had a problem with it, but I've always had the fan on. All you're doing is heating the water to a level that it can dissolve more of the saltpeter than it normally would be able to so it will crystallize on the paper when it cools off. Kinda like making rock candy, ya know?  You're not gonna have it on the stove for that long.
The levels being worked with, I really don't see as a problem, but then again I'm not a "professional". Haha. I know that breathing high levels of the  dust can make you short of breath and really high levels can inhibit oxygen in the blood, but you're not gonna be snorting it, or working in a factory. Hope this helps out brother.
Have fun, stay safe, and God bless. If you have any other questions, let me know.
-Cory
There's only one thief in the Marine Corps, everyone else is just trying to get their stuff back.

Offline jdurand

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Mostly Harmless
    • Company web site
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2016, 11:53:04 PM »
While KNO3 isn't as bad as some nitrates, you can get a flaming horrible headache from too much skin contact/ingestion/inhalation.

It's because it's messing with your blood vessels, not something to take lightly.
Standing on the edge of reality... (me)
Quando omni flunkus moritati (Red Green)
Let no man belong to another that can belong to himself. (Paracelsus)
All things are poison and nothing is without poison; only the dose makes a thing not a poison. (Paracelsus)
NRA Life Member, Gun Owners of California member

Offline Cory_1371

« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2016, 01:06:38 AM »
Thank you for adding that jdurand.

I neglected to add that gloves should be worn in addition to ventilation when working with ANY refined chemical REGARDLESS  of how safe it is deemed. You should always double check info and look at the MSDS beforehand. So here it is.

http://southernag.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/southernag.com_docs_labels_msds_Ms1216.pdf
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 01:16:43 AM by Cory_1371 »

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2016, 11:41:35 AM »
Gotta look out for the dihydrogen monoxide too, since you are inadvertently using it your described process.  It's another refined chemical which can be deadly.  Worse yet, it can undergo refinement by natural processes, fall the ground and end up in the food supply.  It's especially insidious in that, although one could wear a full-body HazMat suit, any dihydrogen monoxide already in the body can end up being concentrated INSIDE THE SUIT!  Now you're breathing even higher concentrations of the stuff.  So you're pretty well screwed no matter how you look at it.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline Cory_1371

« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2016, 12:23:20 PM »
 (?^ I just shot some across the room when I read that. Hahahahahahaha. Omnivore, we're gonna get along alright.

But on a serious note:
 It definitely is something you have to watch out for. Ingest too much and it's life threatening, you could end up with hyponatremia and even seizures! I for one, don't want any part of either of those conditions. Thank you for your words of caution.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2016, 03:31:03 PM »
Gotta look out for the dihydrogen monoxide too, since you are inadvertently using it your described process.  It's another refined chemical which can be deadly.  Worse yet, it can undergo refinement by natural processes, fall the ground and end up in the food supply.  It's especially insidious in that, although one could wear a full-body HazMat suit, any dihydrogen monoxide already in the body can end up being concentrated INSIDE THE SUIT!  Now you're breathing even higher concentrations of the stuff.  So you're pretty well screwed no matter how you look at it.

)L$ )L$ )L$ (?^ (?^ (?^ ->i ->i ->i
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline Kaeto

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Official Mad Dog Nose Tweaker.
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2016, 04:26:16 PM »
*Dumps a barrel of cool Di-Hydrogen Monoxide on both MD and Hawg.*    :)  That ought to feel good.
“The path of the warrior is difficult! We live to protect those who cannot protect themselves! Honour in serving! Honour in defending! Honour in dying for a just cause!”

"A knight is sworn to valor; His heart knows only virtue; His blade defends the helpless; His might upholds the weak; His word speaks only truth,
and his wrath undoes the wicked."

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2016, 05:29:24 PM »
Why me?  {_K

Offline Kaeto

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Official Mad Dog Nose Tweaker.
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2016, 06:06:16 PM »
Thought you might like to cool off. That's all.
“The path of the warrior is difficult! We live to protect those who cannot protect themselves! Honour in serving! Honour in defending! Honour in dying for a just cause!”

"A knight is sworn to valor; His heart knows only virtue; His blade defends the helpless; His might upholds the weak; His word speaks only truth,
and his wrath undoes the wicked."