Author Topic: R&S coming!  (Read 2112 times)

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
R&S coming!
« on: May 18, 2016, 12:12:27 PM »
I started looking for an R&S early this year, not too much available, at least in the price range I wanted. A week ago I posted a couple of "want to buys" on other forums, not really expecting much. I was pleasantly surprised when a day or so later I got a PM from a guy who has one. Long story short, it is on the way to me as we speak! Supposedly shot very little, but with a couple of appearance blemishes. I see where Taylor's has the conversion cylinder available......hmmmmm.....Capt'n Kirk, have you shot your R&S yet? I don't remember seeing a report on a range trip. The gun I am getting was born in 1977, date code AC. Does anyone remember when EuroArms stopped making them?

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Re: R&S coming!
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 01:29:35 PM »
"it is on the way to me as we speak!"

We want pix ASAP

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 03:52:18 PM »
Maybe tomorrow or Friday.....

Offline KapundBall

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 04:06:01 PM »
I have an R&S with Howell/Taylor conversion cylinder. It has been tuned and defarbed by Hoofhearted. It was already a very accurate, extremely pleasant revolver to shoot. It is now the most accurate handgun that I own. The hammer spur is very high and the mainspring is way too strong. If I could find a reduced power mainspring, this revolver would essentially be as good as it gets.

It has been several years now since Euroarms went under so parts, at least the ones that fail, are unavailable. The screw and nut that retain the arbor pin are the only fragile parts but it is fragile and easy to strip. Otherwise a very solid and enjoyable revolver. It feels like 19th Century Heavy Metal Power in your hand. I also replaced the brass pin front sight with an Uberti 1858 dovetail sight which is more durable.
I recently mentioned to a friend that I was getting more interested in Black Powder. He said, "What, like Malcolm X and the Black Panthers?"

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 04:10:44 PM »
Cool!  Now I'm curious as to how it's going to shoot.

Does anyone remember when EuroArms stopped making them?

Since Dixie Gun Works is selling them, presumably new, I'd say they probably haven't yet got 'round to stopping unless it was very recently.  To answer the question precisely though; No, I don't remember that.

Mike Cumpston has a nice review of the R&S, also at Dixie, claiming groups of 4 to 6 inches at 50 yards, and the sights on his were well-regulated.  They want 500 clams for theirs.  If it's a nice shooter it'd be worth it, too.  I figure these 7.5 to 9" guns should all be good to 50 yards or better, but it doesn't always work out that way.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 06:58:44 PM »

Euroarms closed their doors about 5 or 6 years ago. Pedersoli bought what was left but they're not making R&S.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline WASH BUSTER

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 11:03:58 PM »
Got two , one very used but shoots great the other new and its the same. The conv. cylinder works great. Accuracy is very good out of the box.

Offline KapundBall

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2016, 10:07:04 AM »

Euroarms closed their doors about 5 or 6 years ago. Pedersoli bought what was left but they're not making R&S.

A long standing rumor is that the R&S tooling was sold on by Pedersoli to a group in Poland and that they are to commence production "any minute now". While I was dubious, the current invasion of Europe may change that...
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 02:50:20 PM by KapundBall »
I recently mentioned to a friend that I was getting more interested in Black Powder. He said, "What, like Malcolm X and the Black Panthers?"

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2016, 01:02:13 PM »
I had heard that Pedersoli had purchased the machinery, but said tooling was worn so much they didn't think they could make it worthwhile. Maybe someone else is considering rebuilding those machines?