1858 remington forum

Author Topic: The 626 Pigpocalypse!  (Read 1473 times)

Offline KapundBall

The 626 Pigpocalypse!
« on: May 02, 2016, 10:26:30 AM »
Recently acquired an H&R 20ga rifled slug barrel (Tracker II) and decided the develop a dangerous game round for it. Started with 2.5" brass Magtech shells (they use a large pistol primer). Developed the following load for what I am calling, rather absurdly, The 626 Pigpocalypse

- 62 cal pure lead round ball (.626") at 370 grs. It is shallowly engraved by the rifling but seems to obturate just enough (see target)

- 83grs black powder (15 grs 3F Old Eynsford as a priming charge and 68 grs OE 2F main charge)

- nitro card, 2 x 0.5" fiber wads, lube cookie, overshot card (I may change this to put the lube over the card, under the ball)

- 62 cal musket ball held in place with a piece of Scotch tape (changed from glue in picture so that no glue adheres to the ball)

As suggested by the name, the 626 Pigpocalypse TM is intended as a round for walk up brush hunting hogs, where very rapid death and strong blood trails are important to finding your piggy and where having a high powered rifle round isn't really ideal given that one is often taking shots on the move where misses are not unlikely. It would also be a very effective deer round in New England where shots are typically 75 yards and under. The idea was to make a poor man's "dangerous game rifle" although, as a single shot, I'm not sure just how dangerous I'd be prepared to engage! 

Proof of concept was achieved. The target shows the first three bracketing shots below the black (that's a 25 yard rapid fire pistol target) sighting in (a Simmons 1.5 - 5 shotgun scope), and the 5 shot group in the black - all shot offhand at 50 yards to simulate hunting conditions to some degree. That is perfectly acceptable accuracy for the intended use.

Anyway, lots of fun. It's probably too much of a charge with a 24" barrel and I'm likely not getting full powder combustion. Have to chronograph it and see what it's doing. My guess is around 1500 fps but that may be high.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 01:26:49 PM by KapundBall »
I recently mentioned to a friend that I was getting more interested in Black Powder. He said, "What, like Malcolm X and the Black Panthers?"

Offline M9Powell

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Re: The 626 Pigpocalypse!
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 12:41:17 PM »
 Yea no single shot for dangerous game  {_K you better figure out how too put a bayonet on that thing. Preferably one with a large cross guard. Back when they hunted them with spears boars were known for climbing up the shaft too get too you.

Offline KapundBall

Re: The 626 Pigpocalypse!
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 12:22:57 PM »
I have a 20 ga Lee Loader for 20 ga - the old manual kit - but the sizing die is designed for 2 3/4" plastic or paper hulls rather than 2 1/2" thinwall Magtech brass I am using, so it does not provide a taper crimp to firmly hold the brass in place. CH4D does offer 20ga brass dies but at $200, they can whistle.

Anyone have any ideas on a more cost effective way to put a taper crimp around the ball in this brass case?
I recently mentioned to a friend that I was getting more interested in Black Powder. He said, "What, like Malcolm X and the Black Panthers?"