Author Topic: give ID to get powder?  (Read 2850 times)

Offline soundguy

give ID to get powder?
« on: April 26, 2016, 01:23:06 PM »
I've been buying smokless and pyrodex for YEARS, decades..  I've never been asked for my ID up untill just now.

I had to get some 4f flash pan powder.  Local pawn shop had Goex.   I had to give my license and they recorded my info to buy the powder???   Never had to give my id to buy balls, caps and powders.  I bought pyrodex p ? a month ago at gandor mountain.  walk in grab can off shelf, walk to register, pay, leave.

something new?

Offline jdurand

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Mostly Harmless
    • Company web site
Re: give ID to get powder?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 01:27:37 PM »
Here in Friendly California the ammo and powder is out on shelves in BassPro.  I've picked up a bottle of Pyrodex and walked to the cash register and out.  No ID required.
Standing on the edge of reality... (me)
Quando omni flunkus moritati (Red Green)
Let no man belong to another that can belong to himself. (Paracelsus)
All things are poison and nothing is without poison; only the dose makes a thing not a poison. (Paracelsus)
NRA Life Member, Gun Owners of California member

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 01:35:54 PM »
I wouldn't think so. Real bp is classified as a low level explosive and can't be openly displayed, so maybe in some locations they figure better safe than sorry.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline soundguy

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 01:42:15 PM »
Hmm...   the goex I bought was in a back room...  most places I go, pyrodex is on a open shelf.

Interesting.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 02:06:55 PM »
Hmm...   the goex I bought was in a back room...  most places I go, pyrodex is on a open shelf.

Interesting.

They have to keep it in an explosives locker. That's why most places don't want to fool with it.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline mike116

• Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 02:15:45 PM »
ID is required for Black Powder but nothing else here.   Bass Pro is the only place it's available.   They have always required an ID for Goex.

Offline soundguy

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 02:28:51 PM »
I wonder if tanerite needs it?  Its a binary explosive??

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 02:34:39 PM »
ID is required for Black Powder but nothing else here.   Bass Pro is the only place it's available.   They have always required an ID for Goex.

No place within 150 miles sells it around here so I have no idea.

Offline Classanr

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • BP, the original bug chaser!
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2016, 02:47:41 PM »
The clue here is "pawn shop".  Not only did you present your id, but you were video taped too.  Then all that went into the state coffers for the police to review.  You could be buying (or selling) a piece of paper, in you go.  The up side is that we recently convicted a (previous) employee of theft because she pawned the items the morning after she stole them.  There was the pawn shop inventory, the items, her signature, her id, and the video tape of the transaction.  She has another 11 months before she gets out of the slammer.
Jim Beam me, Scotty!  Life here is more intelligent than I.

Offline soundguy

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2016, 03:16:40 PM »
I assume as long as I dont steal the powder I'll be fine ;)

Offline Lead Balls

• 10gr under a .43 paintball for "Civil War Rematch"
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2016, 08:05:11 AM »
The clue here is "pawn shop".  Not only did you present your id, but you were video taped too.  Then all that went into the state coffers for the police to review.  You could be buying (or selling) a piece of paper, in you go.  The up side is that we recently convicted a (previous) employee of theft because she pawned the items the morning after she stole them.  There was the pawn shop inventory, the items, her signature, her id, and the video tape of the transaction.  She has another 11 months before she gets out of the slammer.
That's a good one, it reminds me of a pawn shop story of my own. Someone broke into my house and stole my guitars. Fearing they might come back for my amplifier, I decided to pawn it for safe keeping. The first one I went to didn't work out, the second pawn shop I tried when I walked in, there was one of my neighbors pawning them. The pawn shop owner didn't really believe it until I recited the serial numbers for him, from memory. Busted. I went back in there over a decade later, with someone who had business there, and I mentioned that story, the owner remembered that very well, I guess that's the only time something like that ever happened in there. Go figure.
In my experience, the secret to happiness is a matter of learning to sort the occasional good idea from an endless body of bad ones.

Offline Sheriff Langston

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2016, 02:31:57 PM »
MD (East Califonicate) you have to show ID so they can figure out if you live in a "multi, dweller domicile" (Whatever the Foxtrot Uniform Charlie Kilo that is.) Why? Because you can't  have "flammables" in one.

It's not a "Law" but a Fire regulation where the Fire Marshal of a different County can supervise you in your County where he has diddly/squat authority to do so.
"In this world there's two kinds of people my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."
“Blondie”

Offline soundguy

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2016, 04:42:01 PM »
Good grief.  Do they let you own matches?  Cooking oil?  Soldering propane?

Offline jdurand

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Mostly Harmless
    • Company web site
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2016, 07:41:41 PM »
Probably can't have propane for soldering, but chefs always love having propane torches for scorching food.  I worry when I see a chef with a torch!
Standing on the edge of reality... (me)
Quando omni flunkus moritati (Red Green)
Let no man belong to another that can belong to himself. (Paracelsus)
All things are poison and nothing is without poison; only the dose makes a thing not a poison. (Paracelsus)
NRA Life Member, Gun Owners of California member

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2016, 12:51:54 PM »
The last real black powder I bought locally was over 15 years ago at a gun store ( no longer in business, sad to say). I had to give the clerk my driver's license. He walked away and came back several minutes with my (over priced!) powder. I' sure the license was photo copied, recorded in some way. After that store was gone, I have ordered my BP by the case and it is delivered to my door.