The 1858 Remington Forum

Home| Register | Login

General Black Powder Discussions > Hand-Casting

(1/6) > >>

soundguy:
April 23, 2016, 06:25:16 PM

I have an ingot mom and a dipper.

I'm trying to decide between a 2 or 6 cavity mold ( .454 round ball )

I'm looking at track of the wolf, midway and amazon.

I have a local lead source now.

Looking at the production pot iv lee.

Biggest complaint I see is maybee it drips.

Is the bottom spout enough control to fill molds directly, or do you need to dipper and fill?

Anyone got one?

Comments?

Probably start with .454, then .490, then maybe .675

Maybee eventuall pistol bullets for my reloading hobby, if I get a lube/swagger too.

Just rounds for now though.

scbuxton:
April 23, 2016, 06:42:39 PM

I have the Lee IV pot. Expect a bit of a learning curve to get used to the bottom pour. Yes, I have had it leak, I have had it stop up but once I mastered it, I wouldn't trade it for any other. I pour directly from the pot and it goes quite fast once you get the hang of it.
If you decide to get one, let me know and I'll share all of my little tricks that I have learned with you.

scbuxton:
April 23, 2016, 06:48:45 PM

Look down the page to a post "new pot"
They've probably answered all of your questions better than I could.

soundguy:
April 23, 2016, 06:59:51 PM

I'm very much considering getting kit n kaboodle, flux and all from track if wolf.

Gonna wait till a paycheck tegrows :)

Omnivore:
April 23, 2016, 07:31:58 PM

I don't what the "IV" part means, but I have a Production Pot, holds ten pounds.  Any smaller would be too small, if that's the difference.  I like my Lee pot, and with all the flack a bottom pour gets I wouldn't want it any other way.

Don't make the mistake of thinking you need to keep the top of the melt all clean and shiny.  That means nothing.  Keep your melt temp and mold temps in the correct range, and keep your mold properly smoked, and you WILL get good bullets.

You probably don't need to buy any special "flux".  Wax or pine pitch will reduce all the nasties back to clean metal.  Not that it matters much.  I let the top of the pot get pretty horrific before I do anything about it.  Since you're pouring from the bottom the top can safely be ignored for some time.

Round ball molds are the easiest to get good fill-out with, because there are no corners.  If you were to get a six cavity mold, I'd say a six cavity round ball mold would make a good first one.  Otherwise, I find that maintaining two cavities is usually enough.

Remember;
Melt temp
Mold temp
Mold smoking

Most newbies pay more attention to how pretty the top of the melt looks, and so they miss the important bits.  Ask me how I know.

You have those three things right and you're dropping nice bullets all the time.  I'd recommend a thermometer before any of the commercial "flux" products.

[1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Navigation

Message Index

Next page

Go to full version