1858 remington forum

Author Topic: R&S on GunBroker  (Read 4008 times)

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
R&S on GunBroker
« on: April 20, 2016, 07:48:24 AM »
I was watching this for a while.....hoping. But it went for more than I was willing to pay.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=551570683

Offline KapundBall

Re: R&S on GunBroker
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 08:48:49 AM »
Rather pricey. I'm on the lookout for a parts gun. The arbor retention screw on mine is partly stripped. Nobody has one. Allegedly somebody in Poland bought the Euroarms tooling for the R&S and are to start producing again. Emphasis on allegedly because it's been some time that that rumor has been about.
I recently mentioned to a friend that I was getting more interested in Black Powder. He said, "What, like Malcolm X and the Black Panthers?"

Offline Gunslinger9378

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Some will...some won't....But I do!
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 10:33:55 AM »
Dear Friends,
               I am convinced that the Roger's & Spencer revolver is a very well designed weapon!  That loaded carefully, it has the potential to become as reliable as the Remington New Model Army, and that it only has ONE drawback! Which is that there are no provisions for a safety notch.  So if one wanted to carry it while hunting, or for self defense, it in effect becomes a Five Shot Revolver.  It was one of the revolvers tested by Messrs Cumpston & Bates, and the results, and the performance they got from this gun, showed it to be a very fine gun indeed. It apparently functions well with all the readily available sizes of Round Balls. 30 grains of Goex with a .451 ball produced a velocity of 833 fps. Which is definitely enough to make any Bad Guy's eyes water, and the same sized ball with both Swiss Powder and Pyrodex P, produced respectively, Swiss, 994 fps, and Pyrodes 982 fps. A 180 grain conical bullet, with 21 grains of Swiss FFFG , produced the very respectable 853 fps.  For those of you who might hunt with this revolver, it should be noted that Conical Bullets from Lee, and Buffalo, are too wide to fit under the loading ram.  The Authors reported that .457 balls seated without excessive effort, while the .451's seated much more easily, yet maintained sufficient grip on the chamber walls to prevent, "Recoil Creep," and also for for consistent ignition.  Apparently the gun tested had a very heavy trigger pull, but even with this, satisfactory groups were possible at 25 yards, and after the trigger was, "Worked On,"  these groups tightened quite a bit!
               So it would seem to be a very good choice for a Back-up weapon, should you happen to be accosted by a oversized Pussy Cat, after having shot your deer, (Or whatever?) and find yourself with an empty rifle!  Mention was made of the fact that the Remington .44, DOES hold more powder in it's chambers, so an
1858 may be a slightly more lethal choice for a Pissed off Cougar.  However the Rogers & Spencer would seem to be able to give a very good account of itself!!
                                                                                                                                  Johnnie Roper,Alias:Gunslinger9378.   
Never make the mistake of thinking I will not shoot..........
Because it may be your very last mistake!

Offline necessaryevil

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 01:29:22 PM »
Johnnie

I recently tried one of these belonging to a Spanish guy at our club. I had to say the trigger on his Rogers and Spencer was one of the finest triggers I have ever tried on ANY firearm. He told me that he had it done by a local gunsmith and by God it was OUTSTANDING. It was for ME more accurate than MY Uberti. I have no doubt with practice I could become very good with one. To be fair MY trigger is straight out of the box.

That's my excuse anyway and I'm sticking to it !

Offline KapundBall

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 01:39:18 PM »
Mine was worked over by Hoof Hearted. It is the most accurate pistol that I own either with percussion cyl or 45 Colt conversion. It could definitely benefit from a lower pressure main spring. Anyone know if there is such an animal available for the R&S?
I recently mentioned to a friend that I was getting more interested in Black Powder. He said, "What, like Malcolm X and the Black Panthers?"

Offline necessaryevil

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 01:48:33 PM »
Mine was worked over by Hoof Hearted. It is the most accurate pistol that I own either with percussion cyl or 45 Colt conversion. It could definitely benefit from a lower pressure main spring. Anyone know if there is such an animal available for the R&S?

I don't know the answer to that one regarding the U.S. But the locally gunsmithed one here in Spain was UNBELIEVABLY good. So I can confirm for sure that they are capable of taking a trigger job resulting in an outstanding target trigger.

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2016, 01:58:12 PM »
I was watching this for a while.....hoping. But it went for more than I was willing to pay.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=551570683

They removed the picture(s).
But to my knowledge the R&S is the Rolls Royce of 1860ieth C&B revolvers. It never was involved in the CW, but the originals fetch awesome prices these days.

Offline Dellbert

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2016, 02:17:18 PM »
I like it a lot. That gun looked new. The price is a bit high. Wish I could afford one or two. A stainless steel model. would be nice. (T^
If it's not broke don't try fixin it.

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2016, 02:25:20 PM »
There was a used one a couple-three weeks ago that I let slip by me. Forgot about it and never did bid. That one went for around $300.00 or so, which would have been doable.

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2016, 09:33:24 PM »
There was a used one a couple-three weeks ago that I let slip by me. Forgot about it and never did bid. That one went for around $300.00 or so, which would have been doable.
I paid more than that for my Euroarms replica!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Gunslinger9378

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Some will...some won't....But I do!
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2016, 12:38:28 PM »
Dear Friends,
               I am a Dyed-in-the-wool Remington Person.  I would quite like to have a Rogers & Spencer, but if I did, would try and find a way of somehow adding, (Or taking away!) some metal to provide a safety notch, so that it could be carried with all six chambers loaded.  I personally feel the Remington has more pleasing lines to it, It's more beautiful to me, but the Rogers & Spencer does look nice! I would not be ashamed to carry one!  Especially in Re-Enactments.  Apparently the company DID make about 800 of them for private sale, and one HAS been convincingly provenanced to a soldier who served with the 30th. Massachusetts Infantry in 1863 and afterwards.  Apparently, the revolver is several ounces heavier that the Remington, in spite of having a barrel that is half an inch shorter.  It apparently handles spent caps very well, and during the testing that Messrs Cumpston & Bates put theirs through, it functioned flawlessly! The trigger WILL need working on, as as it comes from the factory, it takes Three men and a boy to pull!
               I have worked on my Remington's triggers. I do not have a device for testing at what weight they break, so cannot tell you what weight they, "break," at.  I suspect about 4 lbs. But that is just a guess!
                                                                                                                                  Johnnie Roper,Alias:GUnslinger9378.
Never make the mistake of thinking I will not shoot..........
Because it may be your very last mistake!

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2016, 01:43:24 PM »
Apparently the company DID make about 800 of them for private sale, and one HAS been convincingly provenanced to a soldier who served with the 30th. Massachusetts Infantry in 1863 and afterwards. 

I fail to see how it could be "convincingly provenanced" to 1863 when they didn't go into production until 1864. (^h
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline M9Powell

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2016, 01:52:00 PM »
The soldier served from 1863, so he could have got it in 1864 or 1865. A lot of units supplies were bought by the individual states and not by federal contract. Some wealthy individuals commanded & equipped their own units out of pocket.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 01:56:47 PM by M9Powell »

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2016, 02:32:12 PM »
The soldier served from 1863, so he could have got it in 1864 or 1865. A lot of units supplies were bought by the individual states and not by federal contract. Some wealthy individuals commanded & equipped their own units out of pocket.

Or he could have bought it after the war to back up his "war stories" which is more like it.

Edward Lambert enlisted in 1861 in the 30th Massachusetts Infantry and was made a drummer. On December 31,1863, he reenlisted as a "Veteran Volunteer" possibly to collect more pay. He served as a drummer for the two enlistments, serving from 1861 to 1866.
R&S serial number 488 has two pieces of paper under the grips. The one under the left says  "E. Lambert VOL 30 MASS carried this Revolver in Civil War November 14, 1861 August 15, 1866"

If you take it as it reads, he carried it from 61-66 which is impossible. Drummers were noncombatants and didn't carry weapons. When fighting started they moved to the rear and weren't involved in the fighting. That doesn't mean they couldn't be killed or wounded though. Lambert himself was wounded. A pistol sold on the civilian market would not have an inspectors cartouche, Lambert's does. That alone pretty much proves it was in the 5000 lot that was put in storage and sold to Bannerman in 1901.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline M9Powell

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2016, 02:57:58 PM »
Non-combatant is exactly why he would have desired a pistol. All of the medics I served with carried pistols. Non-combatant is fine as long as the enemy respects it, but when he does'nt? Having said that I have no idea if the Yanks used any of these pistols?