1858 remington forum

Author Topic: A simple dovetail installation  (Read 5136 times)

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Re: A simple dovetail installation
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2018, 12:29:45 AM »
Capnball; a true repro of the Remington NM Police would have me buying one as soon as I saw one, but from the manufacturer's perspective I don't know-- Just looking at the numbers of reviews on-line, the full-sized guns like the Army and Navy models must be selling in far greater numbers than the currently available pocket models.  If we look at modern revolvers, it seems the smaller, more concealed carry friendly models sell in greater numbers, but that's a very different market.

Back in the 1860s, in the civillian market, the pocket models sold extremely well.  People bought them for defense, just as they buy the smaller, modern guns today by the millions.  The customer base for repro percussion guns is very different, and there it seems that the perceived wow factor of the Walker, or the historical significance of the martial models, is more appealing than the practical carry-ability of something like a Police model.

The practical gun used to be a percussion revolver because that was the state-of-the-art of the time, but today it's a modern gun firing metal cartridges using smokeless powder.  So throw out practicality, and what's left is a niche market that favors either a Civil War impression or the brute power of the bigger guns.

I don't actually know, but that's my guess as to why they don't make a Remington New Model Police.  With enough of the right kinds of marketing however, I believe they could sell enough to turn a profit.

As it stands, I think the Uberti 1862 Colt Police is a POTENTIALLY very nice gun.  I say "potentially" because as they ship from Uberti they leave a lot to be desired-- they tend to shoot extremely high with no provision for sight adjustment, they tend to blow back that little hammer, causing cap jams, they're not set up to handle conical bullets very well, and when they are set up to handle conicals, the heavier bullets tend to increase hammer blow-back).  So if you get one and re-build it, then you have, in my opinion, one of the most "practical" defense handguns available (in 1860s terms, though a strong case can be made for a cut-down Army model).  The Remington Police would be a little better still, and would be easier to make into a truly useful gun.  The mid-frame 36s (police models) make good small game getters too.  I happen to love they way that Colt handles, and I assume that the Remington would be equally nice in the hands.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)