1858 remington forum

Author Topic: Modifying a Lee Mold for HP + more!  (Read 4861 times)

Offline Dellbert

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Re: Modifying a Lee Mold for HP + more!
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2016, 09:42:55 PM »
Thanks for posting the info fogey don't know if I'll ever use it but I know where to look if I do. (T^ Good write up.
If it's not broke don't try fixin it.

Offline old fogey

• Forum Legend
  • What do you mean "Tax Time Again"?!?
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2016, 10:30:21 PM »
Shoot, all the thanks rightfully belong to the Professor (it was him that proffered the best links in this here thread), but yer more than welcome for anything I toss up (must confess a ulterior motive on my end: If it's posted somewhere, I can't 'lose' the link [assuming I can remember where it was that I posted the link, a velvet lined logic trap I've already fell into on occasion - danged oldtimers' catching up on me])!

Offline Wally44

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2018, 06:01:51 PM »
So did you ever get around t making Remy frames
Armed farm boy

Offline prof marvel

• I don't think I know as much as *you* think I know
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2018, 12:43:52 AM »
I did manage to cast up 3 "colt model  P" frames using the lost wax method and plater of paris as investment.
They did not turn out as well as I would have liked, so I tried "lost foam". That was better but will require much more machining.

I will try to dig them out and get some photos.

The bronze casting is on hold until the health issues on the domestic  front settle down. I am looking into the possibility of
signing up for an art class in bronze casting at the local University. If I can get in, it will save a ton o' time and money on the equipment!
goal: bronze jewelry, bronze belt buckles, and bronze 1858 fframes.....

yhs
prof marvel
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Percussion Caps, Pins, Needles, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards

Supplier of Useless Advice for All Occasions

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2018, 06:03:21 PM »
As for the loading ram, my solution was to order some extra original rams, and then use JB Weld epoxy to form-fit the ram to the HP bullet nose in the gun, trimming the little bit of epoxy overflow after it hardens.  A release agent, sold for use in bedding stocks, is applied to the bullet prior to dribbling the liquid epoxy into the bullet nose.  The ram is then filled with epoxy and the parts are aligned in the gun and pressed together for hardening.

Some care is required, to prevent getting epoxy in places it shouldn't be, prior to curing, but the result is quite effective.  I've been using this system in several guns for some months now, and the form-fit ram faces are holding up quite well.  Much easier than making a new ram from scratch.

Also I should point out that Erik at hollowpointmold.com has offered to either make, or modify, a ram to fit his HP conversions.  So far I just haven't seen it as necessary, especially considering the fact that the ram in a percussion revolver repro isn't typically all that well aligned with the cylinder chamber.  Careful execution of this form-fitting method cancels out most or all of any error in that department.

Below is a Colt Walker loading ram that's fit to the HP'd Accurate Molds 45-225L bullet (now being around 218 grains with the HP).  I posted this photo elsewhere, but I thought it appropriate for this thread as well.  Note that the central "pin" portion of the rammer face does not reach all the way to a point, to find the bottom of the bullet's HP cavity.  It doesn't need to; the rammer face has more than enough surface contact to put all the force you'll ever need on the soft lead bullet during seating, without deforming it.  I deliberately cut and filed that pointy end of the epoxy off, so as it would present a stronger profile, and wouldn't get dinged or any such in normal handling, storage, etc.

Thus the system includes two or more loading rammers for one gun, and I swap them out prior to going out shooting, depending on the bullet being used.  In one instance I took a plastic, rifle cartridge box along, containing both paper cartridges and the extra loading rammers, and swapped rammers in the field as a demonstration of the gun's new capabilities.  Exploding gallon jugs of water with hollowpoints fired from a Colt Walker using full charges of powder can be quite impressive, and fun!  My friend's 357 Magnum 8" SAA did no better in exploding the jugs, but his lighter, faster JHPs fragmented inside the targets while my heavier, all-lead HPs did not.

So why would anyone want to use HP conicals in a percussion revolver when RBs do just fine?  Because capabilities.  And because why not?  And because it's fun.  Also because, in some jurisdictions it is legal to own a percussion revolver while it is legally very difficult to own a "modern" revolver, and you may want to hunt, and heavier HP can be a much better projectile for that sort of thing.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 06:08:05 PM by Omnivore »
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)