Author Topic: Missed an original  (Read 2070 times)

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Missed an original
« on: April 01, 2016, 02:50:50 PM »
The Saturday before Easter the auction house I have been selling some of my guns on had the auction. I had been watching some guns (the guns are listed in advance on-line and in papers, etc.). I put a proxy bid on an original R&S that I thought might have a chance, bid $570.00. The gun was functional, but kinda rough. I never had a chance...it sold for $800.00. From what I have read, there were not that many made and most were too late to see any action, thus were in very good condition. This one saw lots of use! There are a couple on GunBroker that are in GREAT shape, and the asking price reflects that!

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
Re: Missed an original
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 03:46:11 PM »
There were 5000 made on a government contract and all went into storage until 1901. There were approximately 800 made from leftover parts that made it into civilian hands but is doubtful if any saw any war service.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 06:01:19 PM »
There were 5000 made on a government contract and all went into storage until 1901. There were approximately 800 made from leftover parts that made it into civilian hands but is doubtful if any saw any war service.
Bannerman bought the whole lot Hawg mentioned, with the exception of a few prototypes and civilian sales, also mentioned. I don't believe any photos exist of officers carrying the R&S.
Which is a shame, because they are a really nice firearm....sort of like a Colt and a Remmy got together and had a kid.

"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 06:40:38 PM »

Which is a shame, because they are a really nice firearm....sort of like a Colt and a Remmy got together and had a kid.

More like a Pettingill and a Freeman. The front end is a dead ringer for a Pettingill, the rear end only lacks the spur of the Freeman.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline sltm1

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 07:06:58 PM »
Hawg, I had one of those "civilian" model SER# 1449. I heard they just pulled one of the assembly line when ever one was requested. On mine, all #'s matched but it was missing some inspectors marks. Check out this R&S with a 3 digit serial #.

http://www.antiquearmsinc.com/rogers-spencer-revolver.htm
Life's tough...it's tougher when yer stupid !!

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 07:24:50 PM »
Hawg, I had one of those "civilian" model SER# 1449. I heard they just pulled one of the assembly line when ever one was requested. On mine, all #'s matched but it was missing some inspectors marks. Check out this R&S with a 3 digit serial #.

http://www.antiquearmsinc.com/rogers-spencer-revolver.htm

"The inside of LEFT GRIP reads "E. Lambert VOL 30 MASS carried this Revolver in Civil War November 14, 1861 August 15, 1866"

Doncha think it's kind of strange that he carried it in 1861 and none were delivered until Jan 1865? They didn't even start production until 1864.

Offline sltm1

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2016, 07:33:08 PM »
Good call Hawg!! Maybe he entered his original enlistment date. According to the article he enlisted as a drummer boy at 16?

This'll make everybody sick....Bannermans offered them for $2.50 apiece along with directions on how to make them into a lamp!!!! However, as I recall that would have been a hell of a profit cause they purchased them for under a buck apiece from the gov't.
Life's tough...it's tougher when yer stupid !!

Offline Classanr

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • BP, the original bug chaser!
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2016, 08:21:07 PM »
I knew the woman who owned the Greenville Junction, Maine store named "Second Time Around".  Subtitle of the store was "We buy junk and sell antiques." Behind her counter was a small sign that read "Antiques custom made to order"

She was danged good at her trade.

Winters she closed shop and worked on shrimpers out of Luisiana. She's in port between catches chatting up another shrimper, discovered he was from Jackman Maine. Asks what he did back there. "Burn woods equipment. Very seasonal work."  He'd get a cut of the insurance about a month after the pulp mills stopped buying logs from the woodsmen.

Wouldn't be surprised if the notes in the grips were written on bleached wood pulp.
Jim Beam me, Scotty!  Life here is more intelligent than I.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2016, 08:25:07 PM »
I find it strange a drummer boy having a revolver. Probably bought after the war to back up his "war stories".

Offline Classanr

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • BP, the original bug chaser!
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2016, 08:28:45 PM »
I concur, but that won't make Mazo feel better.
Jim Beam me, Scotty!  Life here is more intelligent than I.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2016, 08:56:30 PM »
I concur, but that won't make Mazo feel better.

No it wont and he could have probably found a like condition Remington for the same price.

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2016, 12:51:38 PM »
Actually, I did get a Remmie at an earlier auction there. Bid was $550 and by the time you add the buyer's fee, it was a bit over $600. Gun was in much better shape too. From what little i have read about the R&S guns, the first ones were patterned after the Pettingill, but were changed a bit to go after the Gov't. contract after those earlier guns were rejected.